Can I use CA glue to join two painted surfaces?

If there was going to be any kind of stress on the joint, say like rigging lines pulled taut. I would sand it before I applied the CA. In this case a little dot to CA on the rear trucks will hold, just apply and a little downward pressure. I do it for all my guns and it works. You could also use PVA but it takes longer to set and it is a little weaker joint. IMO.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

I'm not sure, but wouldn't that just be gluing paint to paint?  The Testors cement essentially welds the plastic and thus would create a much stronger bond.  But then again how much stress is actually applied to the canons?

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I will just have to byte the bullet and remove the paint on the deck and on bottom of the cannon wheels. I feel that will make the strongest bond.

Mainly i'm afraid of bumping a cannon barrel and knocking one loose after the top deck is already in place. 

I saw on here someone had made a template of the cannon wheel locations. and used it to locate where the paint needed to be removed. I think I will make up something like that. 

Thanks for the help, Ozark

If it's wood, use wood glue.  If it's plastic, use plastic glue.    Wood glue will penetrate the wood (after getting rid of the paint) and plastic glue actually "melts" the plastic slightly and makes a strong bond.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the input guy's.

I ended up placing the cannon in the correct position and drew a line next to each wheel, then used a dremel to remove the paint on the deck.

I figure if at least 3 of the wheels get a good bond it should be ok. 

Yes I know, don't laugh at my first attempt at weathering a deck. I should have taken more time flushing up the joints. I ended up sanding all the way thru to the plastic and had to repaint at the joints.  I will have to do a better job on the top deck for sure.

Thanks, Ozark