Creole Queen by mtdoramike - FINISHED - Dumas - Paddle Wheeler - received partially built

I can't really call this a build log because I didn't start the build, I received this partially built Creole Queen from a friend over on the east Coast of Florida. The original owner and builder had health issues and had to move away and could no longer finish the Creole Queen. I had not to long ago retired from ship and boat building, but being a sucker for a unfinished boat project, I just had to take on the project and due to the original builder being famed builder Tony Lombardo, that was like icing on the cake for me.

Here are a few pics of her as I received it. I started out by staining .5mmx8mm limewood strips with red mahogany stain and applying them to the decks. This was not allowed for on the kit, but I hate painted decks on boats, that to me is like a cop out. Next, I will look at drilling and installing the three rudders and rudder assist fin which goes up towards the middle of the hull, which assists in turning the boat. 

20181029_160222.jpg

20181029_160236.jpg

20181029_161046.jpg

20181029_161354.jpg

20181029_162224.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The drive system that Tony was working looked like a nightmare to continue with, so I decided to make it a little easier on myself and not try and re-invent the wheel here. So I ordered a 90 degree geared drive system from Cornwall. I will check it out and see how it works, if I don't like it, then I will go back to the rubber "O" ring and pulley system, which is what is recommended from Dumas.

• 1 month later...

I have been getting a wee bit of work done on the Queen the last few days. Still waiting on  few parts such as single and double rudder arms 3/16" to control the rudders (3) of them with the rudder servo. I mounted the first deck on with some mounting blocks glued to the deck so that I could screw down the deck from the sides with three screws per side so that way the client will be able to remove the whole decking assembly to access the hull interior if need be.    

DSC00547.JPG

DSC00546.JPG

DSC00545.JPG

DSC00544.JPG

DSC00543.JPG

DSC00542.JPG

DSC00541.JPG

DSC00540.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Like your finished build real upgrade, also the display stand nautical, simple, perfectly understated and a true compliment to the build. Something a little different very nice KUDOS:cheers:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Thanks John, it was a pleasure and an honor to finish Tony's model. I just wish he were still around to see it. The display base was actually part of the building board. It was some what of a pain because there is an aluminum fin that is built into the center bottom of the hull that sticks down from the center of the hull a good two inches, so I had to cut out a slit in the center of the board to accommodate that fin. I believe the fin is supposed to give assistance in turning and makes the boat a bit more maneuverable with the paddle wheel and the three rear rudders.

The white pickets between the railings were supposed to be placed on thin plastic sheeting and just wrapped around each deck on the boat. I hated that idea, so I bought some heavier plastic, transposed the pickets onto the thicker plastic and then took my trusty Dremel tool and grooves into some thin wood stock, glued in the plastic between the two railings and then installed them onto the model. To me, this gives it a more finished look. This was just one of the modifications I made to the model. I also caulked all around the bottom or boiler deck just in case water splashed up over the deck, water wouldn't be able to make it down to the hull interior and the electronics.

Unlike the original model, I made each deck to be able with just a bit of effort to be removed separately with the removal of 4 small screws on each deck.    

mike   

Edited by mtdoramike

Well the Queen embarked on her maiden voyage to her new port in a storm last night. The new owner was ecstatic over the results and wasted no time in picking her up. I hated to see the Queen leave, but a deal is a deal even with my wife who at times will let me fudge a little. But I promised I would let current and future models go once they are completed and not hoard them (once I had as many as 15 ship models, 12 of them in a eight foot by eight foot storage cabinet the length of a wall that I built to house a few model hahahaha).    

mike

• 7 months later...

Very nice river boat Mike,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50