mtdoramike

Creole Queen by mtdoramike - Dumas - Paddle Wheeler - received partially built

I can't really call this a build log because I didn't start the build, I received this partially built Creole Queen from a friend over on the east Coast of Florida. The original owner and builder had health issues and had to move away and could no longer finish the Creole Queen. I had not to long ago retired from ship and boat building, but being a sucker for a unfinished boat project, I just had to take on the project and due to the original builder being famed builder Tony Lombardo, that was like icing on the cake for me.

Here are a few pics of her as I received it. I started out by staining .5mmx8mm limewood strips with red mahogany stain and applying them to the decks. This was not allowed for on the kit, but I hate painted decks on boats, that to me is like a cop out. Next, I will look at drilling and installing the three rudders and rudder assist fin which goes up towards the middle of the hull, which assists in turning the boat. 

20181029_160222.jpg

20181029_160236.jpg

20181029_161046.jpg

20181029_161354.jpg

20181029_162224.jpg

Very interesting, and I hope we will eventually get to see how she performs on the water.

Cheers!

I got the decking laid down, stained and seal with resin. I got a lighting kit in the mail I'm going to check out as well. I also have all the paddle wheel sprockets all sealed as well. 

DSC00531.JPG

DSC00532.JPG

DSC00533.JPG

DSC00534.JPG

DSC00535.JPG

The drive system that Tony was working looked like a nightmare to continue with, so I decided to make it a little easier on myself and not try and re-invent the wheel here. So I ordered a 90 degree geared drive system from Cornwall. I will check it out and see how it works, if I don't like it, then I will go back to the rubber "O" ring and pulley system, which is what is recommended from Dumas.

I have been getting a wee bit of work done on the Queen the last few days. Still waiting on  few parts such as single and double rudder arms 3/16" to control the rudders (3) of them with the rudder servo. I mounted the first deck on with some mounting blocks glued to the deck so that I could screw down the deck from the sides with three screws per side so that way the client will be able to remove the whole decking assembly to access the hull interior if need be.    

DSC00547.JPG

DSC00546.JPG

DSC00545.JPG

DSC00544.JPG

DSC00543.JPG

DSC00542.JPG

DSC00541.JPG

DSC00540.JPG

I got a little more work done on the Queen, I have installed most of the lights, but I have a few left that I will try and install in the two upper cabins.

DSC00551.JPG

DSC00555.JPG