Mayflower by Tigersteve - Model Shipways

This marks the start of my build of the Model Shipways Mayflower kit, designed by Chuck Passaro. This is the last kit in my possession to build. I've been following the Medway Longboat (1742) project with interest, but I will need to hold off on that project for future. Mayflower will be my third project and first actual ship build. Kit supplied wood will be used for the first layer of planking. I will be using cherry for any wood that will be left unpainted. Deck planking will be maple or cherry. I have yet to decide. Below the whales will be panted tallow. Modifications to the color scheme will be addressed as we are further along.

Those of you who have followed my other projects know that I work slowly. I anticipate this project will take much longer than the previous ones. My goal is to attain a quality representation of the Mayflower. I received the Syren Serv-o-Matic serving machine at the end of my Pinnace project and have been sanding the char from the parts. I will be treating the wood with several coats of Wipe-on-Poly before assembling all parts. I will include photos in my next post.

Included in this post are photos of Chuck's prototype of the Mayflower.

Steve

Mayflower_image1.JPG

Mayflower_image2.JPG

Mayflower_image3.JPG

I built this model several years back. The blunt bow was the trickiest part. You might want to think about getting a proportional divider to help with that section and read up on Chuck’s ticking off bulkheads.  Have fun with it.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Sanding the char from cherry wood is tedious and time consuming. One tip I can share is not to sand the char from sides that will be glued and unseen. One is likely to sand pieces out of square. Sanding was done with 220 grit progressing to 400 grit. A test fit of the brass tubes reveals that the holes need to be sanded slightly so the tubes can spin freely. 

Two coats of wipe-on-poly applied with a fine sanding between coats. The below photo shows the work at this point. 

Steve

642450C9-2F9C-41D1-82E6-82D646F1DF53.jpeg

Edited by Tigersteve

Partial assembly of the machine. The gears are not glued to the brass tubes. I suggest test fitting the gears and rotating them before you glue to make sure they rotate freely. Two of my gears were just a bit off when I glued them and this caused them to not rotate freely. Parts are laser cut precisely. Chuck is mailing me some new ones. 

Before assembly, a third sanding and coat of Wipe-on-Poly was applied. A very smooth finish was the result. 

Steve

13D1DEFF-8598-4EEF-920A-4C0BFCC62EC1.jpeg

The serve-o-matic came together nicely.  One issue I had was when it came time to glue the 'back' gears to the tube I used CA as suggested in the instructions.  I accidentally ham-fisted it and slid the gear just a little too far up the tube against the support.  Of course the ca bonded instantly.  It didn't glue the rod to the support but the pressure is just a bit too much so it didn't rotate freely.  Solution was to debond the support and move a mm out and worked fine.  Every time I touch CA is a disaster....

I also like the Medway longboat but also need to focus on what I already have.

Look forward to seeing your progress here on this kit.  Seeing how well you did with the pinnace and the longboat I am sure this will be another impressive result

Thank you. It is a beautiful machine. I’m not looking forward to gluing with CA, but it must be done. The cherry wood is very nice and perfect for this. I’m looking forward to clearing this little project off the work space and starting the Mayflower. 

Steve

Probably not the smoothest functioning Serv-o-Matic, but it’s functioning fairly well and complete. Chuck sent me a new set of gears so I have a couple of extras.

I’m making a couple of adjustments to my workspace. Mayflower construction will begin soon

Steve

2EE74676-0EF6-4144-ADF8-69876E7751B7.jpeg

Edited by Tigersteve

Steve; count me in to follow your build. You mentioned that you worked "slow"...in my world that's the only way to work. Working with maple and cherry sounds great...I love them both. Where will you get the wood?...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

• 4 weeks later...

After much planning, trial, and error, I was able to retrofit this dry-erase board to part of my workspace. The board was no more than $10 at Home Depot. Not magnetic, unfortunately. It is mounted with two closet brackets also from HD. Scrap wood was used to space the board from the wall. It holds the Mayflower plans nicely. 

Steve

0D533E68-C104-4854-86B0-E33868768062.jpeg

Edited by Tigersteve

As expected there are a couple of discrepancies with Model Shipways’ laser cutting and the plans. Bulkhead 2b is flattened on one side where it should be round. The bulkhead former is not an exact match to plan sheet four. Although, it seems to match on the other plan sheets. Not major issues, but annoying nonetheless. The bulkhead can be adjusted easily enough. I wonder why these discrepancies happen. 

Steve

E9610BF5-6224-425D-858F-1B755FCEF8DC.jpeg

2DEF3AA1-020E-49D4-ACDE-7DD49B9E4811.jpeg

1443DBE8-AC7D-41C9-A693-DA2EDCA6AC7E.jpeg

Hi, was wondering if the straight edge, which should be curved, had any char from the laser? If not it is likely that the timber was too small or not placed on the datums correctly and the laser ran over the edge. You have a small section on the RHS missing.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

E-mail John at Model Expo that picture and he will have another one out to you ASAP. At least that has been my experience in dealing with them. 

Edited by Osmosis

Good morning, gentleman. I’ll attach a photo of the sheet to clarify. Jim, I do not think it was a design mistake on Chuck’s part. It seems like the shape of the bulkhead was altered by Model Expo to fit the sheet. That still makes little sense.

Osmosis, I could definitely contact Model Expo, but at this point I will most likely just make the modification myself. 

Steve

96611E5F-E243-43CA-B817-88F86F80C09F.jpeg

I would still send them the above pic just out of curiosity. It looks like Thunder was right and the laser is programmed not to run off past the margins of the layout but to cut parallel to them until it intersects the next curve. That would be my guess.

Steve:

I would definitely call them and get a replacement. I would not try and correct that myself. I think it would be difficult and certainly not what you were looking for when you bought the kit. You paid your money and you should get what you paid for. It might take a few days to get a replacement piece in the mail, but they will do it. 

Russ

Thank you. I actually did email them the photos several hours ago. They’re sending to the parts department. I’m in the process of gluing the rabbet strip.

Steve

599014A4-D24D-43D6-B0EE-EF1A658B2A3F.jpeg

The bearding line was transferred to the other side of the bulkhead former. In preparing to create the gradual taper from the bearding line to the rabbet, I attached 1/16” pinstripe tape. Instructions call for a taper to 3/32”, but referencing a discussion in Mike’s Mayflower build, it must be tapered more to accommodate a smooth transition into the 1/8” stern post after planking. The hull will be planked with 1/16” thick planks. 

Steve

7F7BAA6C-4D16-4979-A156-03DDCDBACE5D.jpeg

5E168F26-BC37-4EFA-ACB1-E37AF4D0D6EA.jpeg

Thanks. It’s another trick from Chuck’s English Pinnace project. You do have to check often that the tape stays straight.

Steve

Edited by Tigersteve

Not sure how tape would stick to wood throughout all the handling required to build the hull. I'd either do the pinstripe with paint, or place the tape just before the hull gets its finish. Otherwise I have a feeling you're going to be constantly fiddling with that tape and replacing it several times due to lack of adhesion before you get a finish on the hull.

The pinstripe tape is just a guide. It will be removed after the taper is achieved from bearding line to rabbet. It worked surprisingly well for my English Pinnace. 

Steve

Preliminary sanding of the bearding line into the rabbet. I’m sure additional sanding will be required at the time of planking. Down to about 1/16” at the rabbet. Hoping the taper is correct. 

Steve

8295D565-3C01-429E-9B43-EC96EE395CA5.jpeg