Mayflower by Tigersteve - Model Shipways

Quick update on the completed door handles. After drilling the holes deeper I was able to place the eyebolts through before bending and using marker to blacken them. The paint I have wouldn’t adhere. I am not completely happy with this result but it is tidy enough for this scale and I believe it will blend in when other details are added.

The main hatches and upper deck planking is next. 
Steve  

E4902141-5FEB-4BB9-8493-B112CB5D1B5A.jpeg

Man you can make it look so good . And so straight. Mine has straight lines to glue to but by the time I quit shaking they're not so mmm straight,   lol           Great work    :cheers:    

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Gratings for the upper deck were completed using 3/16” cherry grating strips from Model Expo. The coamings were created first using a jig I created from previous projects.

The quality of the grating strips were good. It was a tedious and frustrating process. The center gratings are slightly askew. This being my second assembly of this portion, I opted to not redo them. They will be obscured by the ships boat anyway. 
Steve

90A7E80A-EA08-4C25-8A4D-BFEBFEDA8917.jpeg

EA9D41FC-F7E9-436A-A59E-AA034C507364.jpeg

1328FF2C-F025-4397-8954-C8B473D5D297.jpeg

Upper deck planking is complete with the exception of a final sanding and second coat of Poly. Planks were staggered as per the shift pattern in the instructions. I tried to capture the color of the wood as best I could in the photos. I think the Cherry is a nice fit for this project. 

I need to make some tweaks to the bulkheads before they are glued in place. 
Steve

21EB2388-6D20-4F15-BEC4-32628C49E9F6.jpeg

69E5E26F-9529-461C-A4DB-111058E3D62C.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Bulkheads and transom are installed. Next up: metal rings on the decks and mast holes. 
Steve

57D9D56F-3BD3-4869-AFAF-6FF75994A082.jpeg

733155D5-DF66-44B6-904D-E888B328627F.jpeg

Edited by Tigersteve

It’s been a day so why not undo some of this work. Uggh! I haven’t been pleased with the handles for these doors so I decided to add some black paint with a toothpick. This did not improve the appearance so after some fidgeting I had to remove some parts. 

While I was at it I removed a wonky part of the main deck. The tools used for deconstruction were the exacto knife to open the groove and steel ruler to pry the pieces carefully. Patience is key. 

I’m considering redoing the gratings but I would need to purchase more gratings and I’ve spent enough $ on the wood for this project already. I think they will be fine under the ships boat. This is still up in the air. What do you guys think?

Steve

09FAE3E8-6DF6-4A5A-9367-8F824EF43526.jpeg

12BE56EC-2444-48E5-A8C0-026BF10B034E.jpeg

783411C3-897E-45E0-BAA1-AC0613299DF8.jpeg

Only you can make that decision, Steve. Do-overs are common in this hobby. Believe me, I know!

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

They look good from here, but like what Mike saying  if it's going to haunt   you for ever change it, but it's under the boat, so you won't see much. Ps modelers don't take short cuts lol.   :cheers:

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

I agree with the others. If it’s going to gnaw at you I’d redo. There’s always imperfections but it’s hard to live with the ones that glare at you. Thus far it’s a beautiful build!

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

The last deconstruction is the poop bulkhead. The window opening is not as sharp as I would like. Of course, I did not notice until the macro photos. My eye keeps going back to this error so this bulkhead will be recut from excess of the laser cut sheet and redone completely. 

Next I will replank the opening in the deck and prep the coamings interior with 1/32” x 1/32” strips. Deck planking is 1/32” x 1/8”, of course. 
Steve

86534AB9-5C27-401B-8A43-A20A9577B379.jpeg

Recovery began with repairing the Forward Cubbridge bulkhead and replacing the deck planks that were removed during deconstruction.

I had a new poop bulkhead complete by reusing the door and some of the planking from the original bulkhead, but by the time this was complete I noticed the door was mounted askew. (Now I will really have to redo it completely.) At this point I felt like destroying the model so I walked away. 
Steve

D239FACE-7C9F-4211-BA3F-F7C86009B33D.jpeg

Steve, you have done a great job on her so far. This is no time to walk away over one little section of the ship. Slow down, concentrate and get it right. You’ll be glad you did.

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Back on track with the planking of this bulkhead completed. More cherry grating strips were ordered from Model Expo. I considered cutting them from scratch, but did not really want to get into this exploration on my table saw just yet. 

Up next: create new windows for this bulkhead and bulwarks. Then, I will detail this bulkhead before install and final shaping. Gratings will be completed before metal rings and eyebolts are added. 

Anyone use this stuff to blacken brass? Birchwood Casey Brass Black Metal Finish, 3-Ounce https://a.co/d/fJ63x1v
Steve

EBBEA11D-D2DC-4565-99C2-E970CB62A7C3.jpeg

I found this stuff works good way cheaper

20230218_204406.jpg

Looking good, Steve 

I have used Blacken-it, as Knocklouder recommends, but can I ask you, Knocklouder, can you get that in Manitoba? My local hobby store owner here in Vancouver said that it was no longer available for import to Canada - were they just blowing smoke?....clearly you have a line....I like this product way more than what I'm using now, and would love to get my hands on some....

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Thank you both. I ordered the B/C Brass Black. Below are photos of the poop deck installed. I started rebuilding the coamings. Ledges will be created next using 1/32” x1/32” strips. 
Steve

D91BAB1B-7A51-4067-B802-37941F993963.jpeg

54F9C6CA-8B49-482E-B5E3-F3121479C473.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Completed gratings on the third attempt. I ended up orienting them so the top of the battens run port to starboard instead of bow to stern. (Hope that makes sense. It’s hard to explain.) I am shocked the transom is still attached after all the deconstruction. 

I deleted the redundant posts on this update as well. How many photos of this grating debacle do we need?

Steve

6E0273CB-2A88-42AA-BFE5-9901CD031C39.jpeg

6ECC1B90-4366-48B2-BEC0-D8B737843572.jpeg

Edited by Tigersteve