Hi all.

Anyone know of an authoritative reference showing late 19th-century merchant pinrail diagrams? It is my understanding that belaying pin arrangements were fairly standardized by ship-type throughout most of the world, or at least within a nation's fleet, so that crew could be hired in nearly any port and would be able to serve with little additional training.

I am looking specifically for the pinrail layout typical of a late-19th century, West-Coast, brigantine merchant of medium size. 

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Terry Egolf

Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Harold Underhill has a book called Masting and Rigging the Clipper Ship and Ocean Carrier.  He describes the standard and usual method of rigging for civilian ships.  Also included is a fold out diagram of the belaying locations with a comprehensive and cross referenced index.

I think it is a great resource.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Always check ABEbooks.com for old or out of print books.  They are a consolidator and have access to an amazing collection of book sellers.

Maury

Just bought a used copy of Underhill's book today on Amazon for $32. I skimmed the openlibrary.org copy and it has amazingly detailed diagrams of the rigging and masting details not available in the photos I obtained from DTM/CIW of the Galilee. Since this book emphasizes 19th and 20th century sailing merchants, it will likely be a good source for rigging the model. Sadly, the one diagram that I needed to reference wasn't scanned in the digital copy from the Boston Library.

Terry