Mosel 1872 by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Paper Shipwright - 1/250 - CARD - German Monitor

Hi all, here's a simple free download from Papershipwright of a German Monitor named Mosel. I'm building this while waiting for my next "real" model. It should only take me less than a week to build this one.

Work starts with the bottom of the hull. This is a Waterline model, which simplifies everything a lot :). There are five tabs on either side in the almost straight midsection :

IMG_5427.JPG

The internal bulkheads were fitted next :

IMG_5429.JPG

IMG_5428.JPG

Then the three decks were laminated to 0.3mm card and fitted to the hull :

IMG_5430.JPG

IMG_5431.JPG

IMG_5432.JPG

IMG_5433.JPG

Next the model was attached to a piece of heavy card as a "building board" using double-sided tape, and the sides were fitted. The support struts were rather flimsy until I glued a second piece inside them :

IMG_5434.JPG

IMG_5435.JPG

I've made the Turret "turnable" :

IMG_5436.JPG

IMG_5438.JPG

So far it's taken me 3 days to get to this stage.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

31 minutes ago, Dan Vadas said:

So far it's taken me 3 days to get to this stage.

Your getting old mate ... you used to finish a model in that time frame ... ;) I see you are back to your usual high standards ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Believe it or not - I've finished this boat already :). That only took 4 1/2 days.

There are extra hatch covers which can be glued to the deck to make them look more realistic than simple printing :

IMG_5448.JPG

IMG_5449.JPG

The bridge had some rather flimsy legs, but it all turned out OK with a bit of care :

IMG_5450.JPG

IMG_5451.JPG

I've used some PE railings left over from one of my previous builds. This comes out a lot better than trying to make them from thread as the kit suggets :

IMG_5453.JPG

The ship's wheel took a lot of careful cutting. It's only 5mm in diameter between the tips of the spokes :

IMG_5455.JPG

I used my hole punch kit to make the various diameters of round pieces of the Capstan :

IMG_5452.JPG

The middle deck Ventilators. There are two smaller ones on the fore deck :

IMG_5456.JPG

IMG_5457.JPG

The funnel has 3 steam pipes attached, which I cut from paper :

IMG_5458.JPG

The Galley and two Heads were pretty straight-forward, although I cut all the tabs off and edge-glued the various joins :

IMG_5459.JPG

IMG_5461.JPG

IMG_5460.JPG

The Bollards are the smallest ones I've made so far that use a rolled paper tube :

IMG_5462.JPG

If I thought the bridge legs were flimsy, they paled in comparison to the Awning Supports. I wicked some CA glue on the edges for strength :

IMG_5463.JPG

The Anchors and Chain. I used 40 link-per-inch :

IMG_5464.JPG

The ship's boat was quite easy to make. It consisted of a mere 4 parts :

IMG_5468.JPG

IMG_5465.JPG

The tiny Navigation Lights were a bit of a pain to make :

IMG_5467.JPG

And some overview pics of the completed model. It is only 200mm long :

IMG_5469.JPG

The Companionway in this pic is also left-over PE. There is another behind it on the middle deck :

IMG_5470.JPG

IMG_5471.JPG

IMG_5472.JPG

And the last piece fitted (as usual) - the German Imperial Flag :

IMG_5473.JPG

I still need to make a base for the model. It will be a simple piece of Card, painted blue.

My next model arrived yesterday - just in time :D. It's a WW2 German tank, a Stug 40. A link to the build log for it will appear in my signature when I get started on it.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi