PVC Pipe - block tumbler

Just spent the day putting together a block tumbler using PVC pipe and end caps. Had to cut the end caps down a bit but it works well. The whole thing comes apart by taking one nylex nut from the end of the shaft. Bearings were obtained very cheaply on EBay. Added a small 12 volt motor and now I can tumble a handful of blocks very quickly. 

Cheers

Steve. 

73A1D251-4013-46EB-BE0D-D91092FE7962.jpeg

62C98A52-CE97-47CC-A29F-308B7BC91D88.jpeg

3EF7AAF4-DF41-4ED7-8AFC-E2E37F89CB84.jpeg

8F462BDD-6231-4DB7-8D48-01014F6F4081.jpeg

E107E4B7-0F27-467E-ABF9-A95EFEEA15BC.jpeg

3F95E382-2284-4CDD-B985-98BDA22BA61D.jpeg

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Hi Steve,

Very interesting how long do you usually let it run with a load of blocks??  Do you have any pics of the finished blocks you can share?

J

I use the variable speed control from my Domanoff serving machine ( which I also use on my home made rope making machine) I experimented with different grit sandpaper in the tumbler and ended up deciding on 180 grit. I tumble them for a couple of minutes but because I use the variable speed control the number of revolutions in the tumbler depends (obviously) on the motor speed - not too fast, not too slow. I check the blocks as I go. Another pic of tumbler and some tumbled blocks below.

10273E29-DDCE-49AD-96E7-4C70568944A3.jpeg

E9407DE1-0CE6-49B7-BFB3-EDCA3C26AE33.jpeg

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

I'd say a food mixer might not be the best idea.   The two blades intersect in the middle and offen run pretty close to the "bowl" and the blades are rigid.  Most of the tumblers (see above photos) just use sandpaper.  But give it a try.  It might just work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Y.T.

There are many mini food mixers on the market, some like the pic have a plastic spindle. Remove the blades from the spindle scribe lateral lines on the spindle wide enough to slide sandpaper in. Use PVA to hold paper which would be easy to u remove when paper lost its abrasive. Advantage some have variable speed, or use a speed controller.

Someone may have already posted this, have not figured what the cons would be if any.:huh:

mixer.jpg.5e05c352456a5c78fc01505d7494e172.jpg

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

the Admiral may have something to say about that  :unsure:

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

7 hours ago, Y.T. said:

I am trying to find a simplest solution as I only need to tumble 1 set of blocks every 5 years. Building a tumbling machine from PVC is too much work. If I can use mixer without ruining it this is best for me.

Building the PVC tumbler was a bit of work Y.T. but it was a fun project and gave me a sense of achievement (not dissimilar to building a model).  I have to agree with Mark though, the inflexible blades on a food mixer may be a little harsh for the job. You might like to consider making a whole new sandpaper ‘impeller’ to replace the blades on the spline completely or cut the blades off the attachment and replace with something more flexible. Post your  endeavours as I would be interested to see the results. 

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

PVC pipe is great for our hobby. I use a length about 1200mm long capped at one end with plumbers resin and glue. I fill it with water and soak planks prior to bending. The uncapped end has another non glued cap on it to stop the planks popping out before they are soaked. I have used this for about 12 years and it has never leaked.

Cheers

Chris