Medway Longboat 1742 by Cricket - 1/2" Scale - by Jim

• 1 month later...

I finally found time to sit down and put together where I'm at on this build. As this is my first log, please be patient with any abnormalities or photo aberrations till I can come to grips with this. It's all new.

I'm going to start off with a test pic to go through the process, and will go from there. Thanks.1472759369_1Logo-0306.thumb.jpg.b98a32a52e617895b08cb1d1e84576b2.jpg

Thanks

The kit arrived in perfect condition and I proceeded to start on the keel with the lap joint. I realized that I don't currently own any cool power tools except a Dremel, so I started off with the #11 X-Acto and some 220 sandpaper. I found out 2 things. I'm not good at all with the #11, and sand paper. Also I realized I would need to make these joint perfectly level. As per my normal method, I hacked away best I could till I biffed it up.

661714877_1KeelLapJoint-0305.thumb.jpg.e5c5a1bf78602fd5eb1e6fff0fa82b69.jpg10010838_2KeelLapJoint-0328.thumb.jpg.3abe69fc6ea65b3cb839cfc513d81e77.jpg1437330652_3KeelLapJoint-0329.thumb.jpg.1e08a42fc126c4e73244666073f76aea.jpg1236562488_5KeelLapJoint-0331.thumb.jpg.5394fae93e5e71df73429cf8c2f0615d.jpg1818735807_6KeelLapJoint-0332.thumb.jpg.359765c16d00e4aa71bddb26ef595657.jpg

Oh well, this will be added to my list of "things to learn better" and I proceeded with the other keel.

4 Keel Lap Joint-0330.jpg

Cricket,

That appears to be a Dremel drill press with some sort of X-Y table attached.  If so, where did the X-Y come from?

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I dont like the 11 for carving either, i use the number 10 curved blade

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Hi Chuck. Your correct. I mounted the Dremel to the Dremel work station and purchased the Multi-function work table on Amazon from MySweety for around $40.00. It's probably no good for fine accurate work, but so far works good for me.

Jeff I'll give the #10 a try. I really just need to practice, and to get some finger/hand/lap 🙄 protectors.

Jim, could you recommend a source for mini chisels? I wouldn't know a good set from a bad set, and I almost always question third party product reviews.

Thanks much.

I agree.  My experience with the Dremel drill press is it is wobbly...not good for fine accurate work.  Vanda-Lay Industries used to make one (Dremel based drill press/mill) that was quite a bit more accurate.  I'm not sure if they are still around.

You are faced with a decision; stay with Plan A and it's issues or write it off as a learning experience and go with Plan B, the alternate keel.  I recommend going with Plan B.   Errors tend to compound as you go along.  See what others suggest.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Another possibility is to use the improvised mill to square off the existing attempt, leaving not enough material, but you just use some of the extra sheet wood in the kit to 'shim' those now squared up  areas and then sand down as needed for a good fit.  Except looking right at the base of the keel from the bottom, no way to see that it is more pieces of wood than it should be.  I almost had to do mine that way.

I've used Ramelson chisels for years and love them. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

On 1/1/2019 at 6:32 PM, Chuck Seiler said:

I agree.  My experience with the Dremel drill press is it is wobbly...not good for fine accurate work.  Vanda-Lay Industries used to make one (Dremel based drill press/mill) that was quite a bit more accurate.  I'm not sure if they are still around.

You are faced with a decision; stay with Plan A and it's issues or write it off as a learning experience and go with Plan B, the alternate keel.  I recommend going with Plan B.   Errors tend to compound as you go along.  See what others suggest.

I agree. Sticking with Plan B and using the experience to practice was a big part in my decision to participate in this build. Looking around at other builds, I'll have many techniques to work on. For me it is what makes this a great hobby.

On 1/1/2019 at 6:38 PM, GuntherMT said:

Another possibility is to use the improvised mill to square off the existing attempt, leaving not enough material, but you just use some of the extra sheet wood in the kit to 'shim' those now squared up  areas and then sand down as needed for a good fit.  Except looking right at the base of the keel from the bottom, no way to see that it is more pieces of wood than it should be.  I almost had to do mine that way.

I saw that looking in on your build. I may make the attempt as I would have nothing to loose at this point. I'll do some research on separating the joint and go from there. Thanks.

On 1/1/2019 at 6:54 PM, Jim Rogers said:

Ramelson 

On 1/1/2019 at 9:15 PM, Rustyj said:

I've used Ramelson chisels for years and love them. 

Thanks guys. Any chisels that I've used in the past resembled flat head screwdrivers. I've put these in my "stuff to get list" and really appreciate the info.

• 1 year later...