Planking using the waterline as a datum?

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of planking using the ships waterline as a datum. I’ve nearly finished the first layer of planking and was thinking about using two different woods for the second layer. It would be nice if I could make the transition of the different woods on the waterline as this is a working RC boat. 

My initial thoughts are that it would change how I lined out the planking but then my mind started working far too hard for its own good and I started finding issues that maybe just aren’t there. Hence my question to the forum. If you have any thoughts I would be very grateful and I was thinking about using Castello boxwood on the keel changing to Pear at the waterline. 

Thanks all - Mark

My plan is to do something similar.  Finished above the copper and open to framing except the ends where the cants begin for the bottom.

In your case, getting a sharp join will be a bit of a challenge. I would probably plank the bottom first - and place a batten at the LWL - its bottom edge on the upper side.  It will be like fitting at the stem and stern rabbets or a filling plank the whole way.  Chances are, this will involve two or more strakes.

Another way = planking the bottom  up to the LWL and taking the Castello that goes above the LWL at either end all the way to the stem and stern rabbets. Saw them off above the line and use the cut offs as patterns for the Pear substitutes. But, I wonder if doing card patterns for all of the planks and using those at the LWL as the pattern for both sides would be easier.  A disk sander gets a sharper line more easily than a saw and hand filling/sanding.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Years ago, the NRJ featured a model where the builder built the whole hull and then used a razor saw to cut the whole thing in half along the waterline.

What you want is not nearly as scary as doing that. 

Spilling? yes,  but it should be the same as if you use Pear or Castillo the whole way - except at the LWL.  Matching a long diagonal cut may involve a lot of do over to get right.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

14 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

I was just pondering about doing that with my Pickle which I am just returning to - but decided it requires a lot of spiling - But only on one set of wood because you can indeed start from the water line and go down probably fairly easily.startimg from a straight strip - Unless you want to be superrealistic and spile the lot - yikes !

I have to agree that it would be a real chore to spile all of the planks.  I think that I will mark it out and see what it looks like with the hull lined out and go from there.  This is quite a big hull at 890mm long so its got a lot of planks to be made.