Stug 40 by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - GPM - CARD - WW2 German Tank -

Dan Vadas

Very nice job, Danny.

BTW I don't know where the 40 comes from, since this is a standard SturmGeschutz (StuG) III. It took its designation from the fact that it was built on the Panzer III hull, and eventually Panzer III production stopped entirely in favor of the StuG- as the war turned against Germany they needed more and more AT assets to deal with the Soviet T-34 hordes, and the StuG III G and later were quite effective tank killers with a good 75mm/L48 gun. Without turrets they were also cheaper and faster to build, and the StuG III was the most-produced armored vehicle built by Germany in WWII, with somewhere around 10,000 being built.

The StuGs were Von Manstein's idea, the early versions had a short-barreled 75MM gun intended to fire primarily HE in support of infantry attacks, hence its name which literally means assault gun. They often operated as single platoons parcelled out across an infantry battalion to support the infantry assaults, and were quite successful in this role. However, as noted their role changed during the war to basically exactly the same as a Pz-IV or -V, primarily a tank hunter and only secondarily supporting infantry.

Interestingly, the crews of StuGs were not part of the Panzerwaffe, they were artillery soldiers since their first role supporting infantry envisaged considerable use of the short-barrel 75mm in the indirect role.

With respect to the numbers you see on the side of German StuGs/tanks, they are usually company/platoon/vehicle, so if you see 321 that's the command tank of the second platoon of third company. Two-digit numbers were not at all typical, so not sure what the 40 is meant to be.

Just catching up on your build Danny and great work as usual so far.

Having built a 160 individual track links I can feel your pain 😃

42 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

not sure what the 40 is meant to be.

I am guessing its because it has the 75mm Pak 40 gun to distinguish it from the other versions available from the same publisher.

Cheers

Slog

Edited by Captain Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

23 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Just catching up on your build Danny and great work as usual so far.

Having built a 160 individual track links I can feel your pain 😃

I am guessing its because it has the 75mm Pak 40 gun to distinguish it from the other versions available from the same publisher.

Cheers

Slog

That sounds like a good guess, but one wonders why they couldn't just say StuG III ausf G and use its proper name. With the tracks, the cover art shows Winterketten. Don't tell me you're trying to do Winterketten with paper also, that would qualify as cruel and unusual punishment of customers by a publisher.

catching up with your project Danny........you've certainly created one sweet looking model.   the open concept would be interesting to do,  but like with car models {early ones at that},  they gave them opening doors hoods and trunks for that very reason.   you have the movable hatches,  so that would suffice very well  :)   the boggies are awesome.......you did a great job with them....right down to the drive gears.   I wish you well with the track.  did you look into the link that maaaslo posted......looked like a decant replacement.   almost done........fantastic job! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you all for the comments, and especially vossiewulf for the extra information :).

I have finally finished gluing up both sets of tracks. That was quite a marathon :). Below are some details of the "teeth" and "lugs" :

IMG_5586.JPG

IMG_5585.JPG

IMG_5584.JPG

Fitting the tracks to the body isn't easy. I started by first gluing the locating lugs to the idler pulley, and then glued the pulley to the chassis :

IMG_5589.JPG

IMG_5587.JPG

The drive pulley is only glued to the tracks at one point so far, and not glued at all to the top rollers yet. Once the idler pulley has dried I'll glue the drive pulley into place. The bottom rollers will be fitted last to tension the tracks :

IMG_5588.JPG

IMG_5591.JPG

IMG_5590.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Danny,

Tracks on a scalemodel can always be a bit too long or too short (Unfortunately, I have already experienced this a lot...)
Do not glue the tracks before you are sure that the length is correct.

I would first place the front and last wheel (bottom rollers) then you see if the tracks have the correct length.

The track tension is  controlled with the idler wheel.

Nice work.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

13 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

the winterketten track extensions on your track should bend inward toward the bogies a bit.

That's easily done after the tracks are installed.

3 hours ago, Backer said:

The track tension is  controlled with the idler wheel.

Unfortunately the idler wheel is the first one I need to glue to the track. The lugs are too tight and there is too much friction to fit it last. I found out the hard way that the tracks are one segment too long - a bit of cutting and re-gluing coming up.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

too long is not a problem.
you can bend the tracks a little down between the return rollers.

This calls "a sagging look" i think.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

must have been grueling adding all those lugs on the tracks.  is the drive gear movable?  is there a way to compensate the slack from the top,  as your adding the tension boggies?   they look really good  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

3 hours ago, Backer said:

too long is not a problem

Yes, it is called sagging. And sagging can be quite significant

https://goo.gl/images/fgoa6q

Edited by maaaslo

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

5 hours ago, Backer said:

too long is not a problem.
you can bend the tracks a little down between the return rollers.

The tracks were actually TWO segments too long, far too long to compensate for by "sagging". No problem, it's already fixed :) :

IMG_5592.JPG

IMG_5593.JPG

You'll notice that one roller has come adrift, easily fixed ;).

Danny

Cheers, Danny

sweet!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

great work!

Regards, Patrick

Thank you all :).

Getting near the end of the build. The last major part - the gun :

IMG_5594.JPG

IMG_5595.JPG

IMG_5596.JPG

All that's left to do are some minor details - a 50 cal machine gun, some jerry cans and tools, etc.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

• 2 weeks later...

This model is now finished, here are the final pics :

Finished (1).JPG

Finished (2).JPG

Finished (3).JPG

Finished (4).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

sweet look'in tank Danny........really great job!~

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Fantastic work Danny, well done!

Seeing that is psyching me up to return to my artillery tractor...if it wasn't almost 3000kms away.

looking forward to next project.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Well done

Regards, Patrick

took you long enough, Dan ... isn't 2.5 month for a tank streching it a bit ... look at the speed you produce them battleships!

Well done. looks amazing, down to the smallest detail.

What's next?

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...