Medway Longboat - 1742 -1/2" scale - by KenW

I’m taking part in the group build of Chuck Passaro’s kit of the HMS Medway Longboat.  The kit looks to be well made in a way that most experienced modelers will be able to successfully build the model.  The directions provided by Chuck are explicit and easy to understand.

I’ve started the kit and have completed the keel.  I followed Chuck’s instructions and everything went according to plan.  I followed the ‘more advanced’ instructions for making the keel. One thing I did that was sort of unusual was the way I determined where to place the bolts at the bow and stern.  I made a photocopy of the two areas of the keel with the bolts. I cut out the two places on the photocopy where the bolts were so the cutout fit the thicker keel part. I drilled the holes (using a #78 drill) on the port side since the plans show the port side of the boat.  Then I just turned the small photocopy over and used the small holes in the paper to drill the starboard side. I hope I’m being clear in my descriptions.

ZAfiGbExs7P62sIQej5oW8pT63ThM4D9AtAhBiCNupAHgznIycwEJHJD5ceE2MP5AIKzFCnqazqvtFHccoj75OrD1SfhTuK10SmDFytMCvAli-CDS9WsUfM0CzwxFw8SOFkMplDI

I don’t think my rabbits were 1/32 inches because the 4 thinner pieces were a little thicker that 3/32 inches. But the difference is so small I don't think it will be a problem.

The kit is really well designed and I think it will turn into a great build.

Edited by KenW

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Looks great Ken.....hope to see the progress in person at our next meeting. 😊

Chuck

Thanks Jeff, Dave and Chuck, as well as the 'likes'.

Jim:  Thanks as well - The instructions say it isn't necessary as the holes are only for a small piece of filiment.

The size of my holes (a #78 drill) made for a tight fit.  I don't think I could get the filiment all the way through and I didn't want a bigger hole.

Cheers.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

I believe I used a bigger drill bit.  But it isnt necessary to go all the way through like a real bolt.  This is just a cosmetic appearance for those bolts.  Why risk tear-out on the back side or the drill bit wandering if you can get neater results just simulating the process.  Since you can only look at one side at a time...it doesnt really even matter that they are perfectly lined up.   Who would ever know!!! 

My preference is NOT to needlessly complicate things when it can be avoided without compromising on the appearance or accuracy of the model.  But I realize some folks are sticklers for such things and that is perfectly  fine as well.  :D

Very nice work Ken. You and I are at the exact same place. I'll bring my model to the next meeting.

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

I made the all the frames and fit them into the baseboards.  No real problems except for a initial confusion with my reading of the #6 and #9 numbers on the frames.  But after a quick fix, no damage was done.

JPYSA-512RnE0z_9luskgCZuuF6KepM86j544NHISuwHglvObVtBYSNiIb2gjH9IADopRD-9Cpxv9C7sYCqRxApGdPOcBkp0WNZvi6AF2av3bqiBiqYMBNAgSSLo9uI3TynLEhUs

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

The keel has been glued to the frames on the building board.  It worked just as the directions said with no problems. At our club meeting last Tuesday, Chuck said that care must be taken to insure that the keel is straight with no bend.  He said he just eyeballs it. I’m sure my eyes aren’t as good as his, but it looks good to me.

wzQPSPLohYhCiNQoWKvySenwGRctckolc_mPhhP0joOQGkn6FONRhZ4oYXhqOfdDZZArSLDW6w4SwjStX68ptfdkRRYFnO8Xk7-ybrQjKNuis9UQOC-ipATz17CkA4KmPrpm_C9a

KUUxu34wNNQY6JU57sliwqB05M_vnq_h2c9R3B2riIBcr4ofPxva1JwtAHkGtsVi6ElLbE76tRbNNueWM9VYNB9IwBMXYsa_GeqMlsajCS9dP6dihdpcxCUtx91lB0TwRSgN7ZrD

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

Hey Steve.  Which photos are distorted?  They look fine to me.

Cheers.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

No much to report except I’ve finished fairing the hull.  I’m ready to start the process of determining the run of the planking.  I’ve done this on all my boats, but I still find it a bit tedious.

eYba4fRp34RWTeNMszDpYTBFSI8ork2fcYYSJeXTK0e76G3lqF9Rev_5BNVE3CXrWob57tMKbzEJG3HupXzv67GKjuK8sGSGqPE5vzeGgcVAmZrRlLtZX_pe-qCa4UX_cPopFH1S

LPHdXA3XTd6t-qK46k8vV7cRUGaEcQ1uX1415l6f88yZhHbT-hLg8B901iH9zwjHY3B5pvLd-TJGgLR9PMa_gotQf6aIrIubsq4G-hLyW6zsvPLQPtGu0OcZrJNBjIJ_vHyOkNrV

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

After fairing the hull, I lined off the hull using the paper strips and tape as per the instructions.  However, today I went to a workshop at Chuck’s house for members of the my club that are participating in the group build.  Chuck pointed out that my fairing of the hull was insufficient. Where the upper and lower pieces of the frames were glued together, one of the pieces still has char on it.  This means that that piece with the char is actually ever so slightly ‘shorter’ than to other. This means that the piece with the char will not be glued to the planking - it’s to short.  The problem is that if both pieces aren’t glued to the planks, there will be real problems when the center of each frame is removed. Either the upper or lower piece could split. So fairing must continue.

F9VhcDEA4eIvBu77x0KtfyOZT4LaKdL-TfmQfhywrDv60hIqVp1XeupVxHU1MpGPY1KpYTg3AXr4XQf8khkfHniHomK_AKo-w1hUrq8wCEbub5h40Sy4ZNg8MGwKSJ1THn5ZtDNu

So I removed the tapes and continued fairing both sides of the hull.  The method I was using was OK, I had just stopped too soon. After a awhile, I could see that the fairing looked better.  Of course, I must re-do marking each frame with the ticks from the paper strips, etc. and adding the tapes. But that is a small price to pay; a possible disaster was averted.

IlMzljjeMOrBPCnV-YvvqZM0RMlfllAb7lf5rdJdKuTfJmosU1ynyU2CZRSdWPAVbdPBBI8MBqz8_ZpGu0GkUjXR3EYN2L4KfPceBagnIo1oJ3h1dgU0V3CRXA82XrQYOkgqTv5x

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

Good catch and recovery! I don't envy you having to redo the frame marks though! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 weeks later...

The hull is faired; and the frame’s tick marks redone.  So I started planking the hull. So far, I’ve completed 5 strakes.  The strakes have been sanded and have had their first coat of Wipe On Poly.

j0XZBDrm8JyksSKtNyi06OuzpYGj1ybhpJBm1V46CEPqjmR4rdifOHGFosYxDCsAgFxRCXn0zJy2yp32TsyfDejzwfSF6m6lA0TtCQmo7yh-1BJG3QBHnZYKsR4AL7keYB0Pvfrx

9aJOBgNXdwTRsQ7rfDkByAiEXyvi91BL9W9VFsJuyeuXh2ChDemjxqhVTV7MyHqWDsZOvo4vWHzWJeNu-QuucDBG7fmlXkXGaytdjUWBObXFnD0xHzbiu64TYTmEPGZ1P7xCRefZ

I should point out that there is a water-based version of Wipe On Poly, as well as a oil based version.  And I feel that the oil based version is far superior. I probably will sand more and add more Wipe On Poly once the remaining 4 strakes are completed.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

Very nice planking Ken. Once I finished the hull planking I gave it all a good sanding and another coat of wipe on poly.

Once we tree nail the hull another coat will be needed too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Great idea Jim. Wish I thought of that. :default_wallbash:

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Tree-nailing or nailing?  Chuck uses simulated iron nails (or some sort of nails).

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Thanks for the kind words Rusty.  As for Tree-nailing vs. nails, I'm just going to go along with Chuck's plans and use the filament.

Jim:  Did you get more Monofilament on-line?  If so, what site did you use.

Thanks for all the 'likes' as well.

Cheers and Happy Holidays.

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild

I had thought about nailing as I go, as you are doing, but I suspect I will need to sand the hull when complete.  I am concerned the 'nails' will pull out.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Slip of the keys. Meant to say nailing. As usual mind and hands not in sync. :blush:

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

11 hours ago, KenW said:

Thanks for the kind words Rusty.  As for Tree-nailing vs. nails, I'm just going to go along with Chuck's plans and use the filament.

Jim:  Did you get more Monofilament on-line?  If so, what site did you use.

Thanks for all the 'likes' as well.

Cheers and Happy Holidays.

I had lots of trouble finding the Black 10lb Sunset Amnesia Monofilament Chuck uses  at any place that caters to fishing so I went to EBay. Found it at a place in England for $17 and now have enough to last two life times. If you need some drop me a PM and I’ll send you some.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

I've always wondered about tree nails.  I'm sure they were used when most of the 18th century and earlier ships were built.  But once the planks were installed, the hull was painted.  So, the tree nails would be hidden under the paint.  Same for nails, probably.  So why go through all that trouble?

I like tree nails on the decks.  The decks were constantly scraped and I think the tree nails would be seen.  Of course, when I was in England and took a day trip down to Portsmouth, I couldn't see any on the deck of the HMS Victory.  I did see the tree nails on the USS Constitution in Boston.

Edited by KenW

Ken

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Completed Builds:

Nautical Research Guild