Tartana ligure by Javier Baron - FINISHED - scale 1:200

I think we all know that one about magnifiers.   I get dizzy and have headaches in about 5 minutes, yet they sit on the bench if I need to examine something up close.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 12/10/2018 at 10:40 AM, Mirabell61 said:

fantastic little model Javier,

love the details and your excellent skill in this scale !!

And to think that I have trouble with 1:96 scale!

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Very Nice, I am looking forward to seeing how you finish the sails.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the general look of the sails Javier, I am curious about the way that the strengthening patches look at the clew of them though. I would have thought that the inward corner would have been clipped a little.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

For this model I am following the ANCRE monography of thr Gemma tartana, from which I put a picture.

It is possible that the size of the patches is a little too big to see, but I think it is due to its dark color, which contrasts a lot with that of the sails.

Javier

8A2F0BBC-5200-4564-B789-526CBE711CE7.jpeg

9C74AD2B-90C3-4C9E-ADF6-EEBA5E43EA71.jpeg

www. barcosbaron.wordpress.com

Thank you Javier for your reply to my question.

Michael

The tartana is finished. I have followed closely the monograph of the tartana Gemma (ANCRE), of Franco Fissore, although I have allowed myself some licenses because of the small scale. One of the aspects in which I have been guided totally by the monograph is in which the model has been rigged, with the jibs to starboard in a boom especially armed for it.

I hope the result will be to your liking, because I have really enjoyed doing this

8149DAA9-AF62-4843-95F0-8D636BD5F80D.jpeg

9245B489-A00E-4048-9E02-AA80ADD597FC.jpeg

6267EA83-E6C4-473D-A3E9-A01EBAA5F593.jpeg

963E4BDD-4070-400A-8EF0-DE37A0E16EB8.jpeg

8AC7A3C9-AC45-42AF-BA48-481995308A8A.jpeg

5B8B9BCB-EC18-4780-BD2F-BD5248AF955A.jpeg

F4EDE58E-C7B8-4004-A231-30C9A5C518C8.jpeg

582393EB-B308-4B74-9FA4-CEAB8E5EF3FE.jpeg

82E09786-D75F-4EFD-8E4A-4130EA7FF924.jpeg

55428922-E83B-459A-8DD5-FED88C209A70.jpeg

16C7B69A-F0FF-49C4-888C-A1D6ADDC91C3.jpeg

A beautiful working boat Javier  !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Lovely!!!

XXXDAn

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

21 hours ago, amateur said:

Can you tell how you made the sails? they lookvery convincing. 

Jan

Making of sail:

I cut to bias strips of fabric of the desired width to imitate the sail cloths that make up the sails in reality.

I stick the strips with textile glue, with a minimum overlap between them.

I cut the sails to the size and shape needed for the model, I make the reef bands with a thin strip of fabric that I stick in its position. 

If the sail has patches in the corners, I hit them before the tablings.

With strips of fabric of a minimum thickness I make the tablings, which are then stuck on the edges of the trimmed sail (on both sides). I stick a thread around the sail to make the bolt rope, leaving a loop in the corners to make the clue ropes. Finally, I put the reefs in the number and position that is required in the corresponding positions of the reef bands.

Javier

Another superb model Javier seeing it in the palm of your hand makes it all the more remarkable.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to follow how you built it.

Michael 

• 5 months later...

Javier; when you begin applying the strakes do you add a small piece of wood at the bow and stern so the strakes have a surface for which to be glued or...how do you do this?...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

2 hours ago, Moab said:

Javier; when you begin applying the strakes do you add a small piece of wood at the bow and stern so the strakes have a surface for which to be glued or...how do you do this?...Moab

I stuffed with balsa wood from the first frame to the bow and from the last to the stern, and then stem to give it shape and to serve as a support to glue the strakes. Then, when I pull out the temporary frames, I also remove the balsa wood from the bow and from the stern.

Best regards,

Javier

Thank you Javier. My first attempt wasn't too good but I'll try again. Again, thank you...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways