Red Jacket by MrBlueJacket - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - Scale 1/8" = 1' (1:96)

It looks like you’re making a very nice base to work from.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

That's coming along very nicely.....good job

Clippers are my favorite design...so, I'll be watching with delight.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In my working on the Red Jacket, I neglected to sand in the deck camber before I put the bulwarks on. So now I have 3 choices:

1- ignore it

2- rip the bulwarks out

3- get creative.

I can't do #1 because the laser-cut deckhouses have the curvature cut into the bottoms already. As for #2 - NO WAY JOSE !

So I got creative, and made a spine and ribs to the 3/32 camber. I made sure the ribs supported the deckhouse edges, fiferails, and mast locations. I think it will work just fine. tapering the ribs is much easier than trying to sand the entire deck, anyway.

rj3.thumb.jpg.86b57f07299e0a622180b6b457bebdef.jpg

Edited by MrBlueJacket

Hey there. In this world of plank on bulkheads and frame it is refreshing to see a solid hull model come to life. That is where I began my journey into ship models. I am intrigued by the assembly methodology so have signed up to track your progress. I am curious about the hull line shown above. Is that the waterline?

Joe

With the mainmast done, it is time to work on the mizzen. So here's the dilemma: The mizzen goes through the aft cabin roof. If i drill a hole in the deck, like the fore and main, I will never be able to line up the aft cabin roof hole correctly at a later time. So I have to drill though both at the same time. But I can't install the aft cabin yet, there is too much other stuff that needs to be done first.

My solution is to do the minimal assembly of the aft cabin (sides and roof) and carefully tape it into its final position. Now I can do my drilling, then take the cabin off.

rj1.thumb.jpg.206a61ed0241c5516f3d38eb32fe91d5.jpg

I've never done a solid hull, it looks like a lot of wok to get the profile correct.

I like the look of the Red Jacket, very nice lines. 

Keep up the good work.

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

And now the very tedious part - assembling and placing the deadeyes and chainplates. The photo-etched chainplates need to be bent, then their tops formed in a "U", a wire inserted and the "U" crimped down on the wire. Next a deadeye is placed on, and the wire brought up and around it, glued in place, and the excess wire cut off. Place, drill holesd for the pins, insert, repeat 60+ times. Ugh! Here's the port fore channel finished, with the double beaded molding place on the edge.

IMG_2775.thumb.jpg.ec7a4efaf5d9e7f16cc91e24edd9e9fe.jpg

2 minutes ago, MrBlueJacket said:

Ugh! 

Umm ... shouldn't you of all people be saying something like "it's hours of great fun"? 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane