Landing Planks Below The Bow Filler With No Rabbet.

As I'm progressing through my planking in the band below the wale (there will be 4 bands) I can see that as I progress below and further aft from the first bulkhead, I will have nothing for those planks to land on at the keel. I did not include a rabbet line because of a previous failed attempt resulting in a keel replacement. It's too late to add one at this point. Will I have to add filler blocks between bulkhead 1 and 2?

Thanks for any help,

Frank

Current Build: HMS Beagle 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/19447-hms-beagle-by-frank-williams-mamolidusek-164/&do=findComment&comment=593563

Completed Builds: 

Midwest Dinghy

Occre Bounty Longboat

On kits, they usually don't have instructions or even mention the rabbet.   So usually what you do is bevel the edge against the keel for a good fit and the finished planking will look like it's in a rabbet.  Many do add filler blocks between bulkheads.

Question?  Why is it too late to add the rabbet?  It only runs along the keel.  The rudder post is usually carved out such that the planks land just a tad above the side of the rudder post and then sanded down to the rudder.

I suggest you start a build log so we can follow along and help a bit better.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

To carve a rabbet, I would rather have the keel bare and be able to lay it down flat. I just thought that was the way it was done. I can't imagine having to do it with all of the bulkheads on. 

I do have a build log - Beagle by Mamoli/Dusek 1/64 in the build log area.

Current Build: HMS Beagle 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/19447-hms-beagle-by-frank-williams-mamolidusek-164/&do=findComment&comment=593563

Completed Builds: 

Midwest Dinghy

Occre Bounty Longboat

Frank, could you add a link to you build log to you signature?

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.