HMS VICTORY by Jerry - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72 - 1805 version

Hello Everyone..

Well it has finally happened; the display case arrived and after breaking the "pointy thing" *   3 more times, Victory is safely sitting in its final resting place, the display case.  When the case was delivered, I anxiously watched as the delivery people placed the cover on the table.  To say I was nervous is definitely an understatement.  And sure enough as I "carefully" carried Victory toward the rear opening in the case, I hit the edge of the cover and cracked the last segment of the bowsprit.  So, I said goodbye to the delivery people, and carried the model back to my shop/office to make repairs of the bowsprit.  About an hour later everything seemed back to normal and once again I picked up the ship and as I was leaving my office, I hit a door jamb and BAM!, off went the same piece of bowsprit.  So back to the office to assess and repair the damage once more.  This time the repair was much more involved.  I had to remove 6 stays from the bowsprit, sever it completely, clean off previous glue and other gunk, repaint, replace and retie the stays.  This took about three hours.  It was now time, once more, to carry the model back to the room where the case is.  With both mine and my Admiral's fingers crossed, I managed to successfully reach the case and as I started to place  Victory into the case I hit the edge of the case and...you guessed it...knocked the "pointy thing" askew.  The repair was very easy this time, just a matter of a little CV cement and a few seconds of holding the tip in place.  All was well again and the model made it into the case without any more trouble

I truly believe that I was more nervous at this time than at any other time during the building stage but all is well and good and here some photos of the case and the ship inside.  Living in Florida, the land of sunshine, it was impossible to get a picture of the display case without the relections seen.  I'm sorry about that.

I have started  a new build, Corel's Half Moon, and its progress can be seen on my new log,

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/9065-half-moon-by-jerry-corel-scale-150/?hl=%2Bhalf+%2Bmoon+%2Bcorel+%2Bjerry

*   @Copyright by Shipyard Sid

post-545-0-47573400-1419106825_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-62248800-1419106869_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-03138800-1419106882_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-21415100-1419106900_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Greetings Jerry

Well done, at last it's arrived. Are you going to add any lighting at all, or playing safe and leaving well alone. One thing you will find it hard to be able to do is take decent photos because of reflection. I gave up trying. Do you think you will be fitting a display case over your Half Moon before next Xmas ???? Once again well done on the completion of your HMS Victory.. DAVID

And a G'day to you too, John, and many thanks for your visit and comforting words.  My nerves have begun to settle down and that's a good thing considering I have to now build the Half Moon.  One of these days I'll get the guts that you have and try my hands at a scratch build.  I suppose that's the sign of the true modeller.  Have a terrific day.

Best,

Jerry

Hello again, David....

Yes, I do expect to add lighting in some way to the display.  This looks to be a major operation as in the ceiling directly above the display case is a soffet with a/c ductwork inside.  I hope to call in a lighting person to figure out a solution.  Next Christmas?  No way, I hope to have Half Moon encased by the summer.

Have a good sleep.

Best,

Jerry

Jerry

Good evening, Rich and many thanks for your visit a well felt compliment.  I'm truly sorry about the reflections but I think a solution to this is very expensive.  

Take care and wake up to a glorious Sunday.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Glenn..

I'm sure the pointy end is very relaxed; it's difficult to be amputated constantly.  I look forward to following your progress with Victory and to its beautiful completion.

Best,

Jerry

Hi Lawrence. 

It was real good to hear from you and I can assure you my Victory feels no jealousy as no sound can reach the inside of the case so nothing can be heard about Half Moon.  And please rest assured that when it comes to modelling, no one can put you to shame.  Please keep me posted as to your progress on the scratch build.  My best to Bernie..

Best,

Jerry

• 1 month later...

Hi Jerry,

Congratulations on a fine model, it looks superb in it's lovely display case. I have been following your log from day one.

I have a request if you don't mind, would it be possible to post the dimensions of your display case including the thickness of the plexiglass that was used. I have a way to go yet but I like your case very much and have something similar in mind when the time comes.

Best regards

Gary

(Ensign)

Hello Gary and many thanks for your visit and  the nice things you said about my build.  The case is 1/4" acylic, 56" wide, 43" high and 28" deep.  The back is removable (it attaches with screws) so putting the model into the case is relatively simple.  One, however, must be very careful to clear the case as it very easy to damage the "pointy thing" in the front end of the ship.  I should know....LOL... The table is a dark finished (very dark brown walnut) which was purchased from Wayfair furniture on-line.  As you can tell from the pictures in my log, there is a 3/4" square frame that is screwed into the table onto which the case fits over.  This frame keeps the case from moving in any direction once in place.  The sides and front is actually one piece formed by bending the sides to their 90 degree angles.  I installed a 4 LED lamp light strip above the case with a dimmer wall switch which gives the display a nice dramatic effect.  At least I think so.  I hope this helps you and if you'd like any more information or photos (which I'll be happy to take) please let me know.  I have attached a picture showing the lighting.  The best of luck to you with your build. 

Jerry

post-545-0-22044900-1424478327_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Hello again Jerry,

Thank you very much for the quick response, it is much appreciated. There is a factory close to home which made the Acrylic cases for the two Clipper ships so this info will be a great help. I made the wooden bases for the Clipper ships myself from Jarrah, a beautiful Australian timber, one of them sits on an existing display stand which we have, the other sits on a shelf without a case at present pending a location (too many models). We are still thinking about where to display Victory when she's done but a table like yours is a distinct possibility so thank you for that info as well.

Thanks again

Gary

• 2 months later...

• 3 months later...

Greetings young man

Hope you are well and enjoyed your last cruise. I have not done any work for the last month but will return soon. Need to see cardiologist, heart needs checking out. Heart rate has been erratic for he last 4month or so. It started off about two year ago but was sorted or so I thought. It starts to race now and then simply reverts to normal. It's was doing 140 a minute all Sunday evening, so I went off to see the doc this morning. Have you decided on a new build yet?? I am following a chap called Dominic (building the Vic) at the minute, and trying to help him fit he's gunport patterns. PMs popping back and forth. I enjoying this very much. Son just came home today for a week. He's had three weeks in Australia and a week in Singapore, he's a teacher in London. Anyway I shall return soon all being well, and I also need to have a look at Lawrence's log which as I said earlier is now into volume 4 and available on Amazon. Take care Jerry. DAVID

Hello David..

Please look for a PM which I'll send to you shortly.  Bottom line, all is well at this time.

Jerry

• 3 months later...

Hi Jerry

I know it has been some time since I was asking about purchasing the caldercraft  Victory well this Morning

I did it I took the plunge and ordered her,​ but I'm  writing to your about your display case not so much the

acrylic case but the table the case is on but would like to know where you got both the case and the furniture

if you still have the information thank you

Ronald

Edited by ronald305

Hi Jerry,

What were the dimensions of the flags - Commissioning Pennant, Union Jack, White Ensign, and Vice Admiral's Flag -  you mounted on your beautiful ship? I want to order some from CMB.

Thanks,

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Good morning, Mort..

It's been sometiime since I checked this site as I assumed it was over and done with.  But lo and behold I noticed that there were two responses this morning and yours is one of them.  It would be very inconvenient to open the case in order to measure the flags and pennant size.  If you are planning to order them from Cornwall I'm sure if you mention that they are from the Jotika HMS Victory kit they'll surely know which flags you are referring to.  I hope you will understand that it's not a case of laziness on my part but only that it's extremely inconvenient.  I wish you well.

Best,

Jerry

Hello Ronald..

Congratulations on your ordering the Victory.  I hope you have many good hours enjoying building her.  The table came from Mayfair Furniture.  Look them up on line and specifically check "coffee tables."  The case was designed by me and custom ordered from a local plastic fabricator.  You have plenty of time to worry about a display case ut when you are ready I'll give you more specific details.  Again, the best of luck.

Jerry

Hello Greg..

Thank you for visiting my long, long finished log.  I sincerely appreciate your comments and wish you well.

Best,

Jerry

• 2 years later...

HI Jerry 

great job you are doing on your victory I have a confusing question  what is the accurate door entry 

to a gun port  now I know your victory is much bigger then mine  I'm dong the model space Victory I'm taking that into account, reason I'm asking is I notice the door entry is  smaller then the gun ports what are the dimensions

of the gun ports on your model  mine is 12mm but the confusing is in the instructions for my model the door is 12mm wide just like the gun ports  should the entry be a tad smaller thank you 

Ronald 

Hello Ronald...

Thank you for contacting me.  However, I am totally confused regarding your question.  I'm afraid that I don't understand exactly what you would like to know.  In any event, if you are looking for dimensions of the entry door to the HMS Victory, I'm afraid that would be impracticable for me to provide.  I would have to open the display case in order to retrieve that information.  Also, I no longer have the plans which would also give me that information.  I suggest that you contact Kevin who is currently building the same model and has a current log running in MSW.

Regards,

Jerry

it not really about the kit it self but the actual the accuracy of the real  thing it doesn't matter who's kit it is even Gill 

Victory the entry door looks smaller then the gun ports but any way I ask Kevin 

Ronald 

Beautiful model, thank you for sharing!  Question for you, can you tell me the approximate length of the boat davits?  I am restoring an HMS Victory and have to make mine from scratch.  Approximate length would help me tremendously.

Thanks,

Mark

Current Build -

1/78 Sergal HMS Victory Restoration

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your much appreciated compliment.  As mentioned above it's totally impracticable to measure the davit length as I would have to open the display case.  However, I did attempt to get a measurement for you by sighting the davits from as close as I could get on the case.  The davits seem to be very near to two inches long +- a quarter of an inch.  I'm afraid that's the best I can do for you.  If I can be of any further assistance please contact me again.

Best,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Thank you so much for the prompt reply Jerry!  That measurement is perfect and gets me in the ball park.  I needed a starting point and will adjust from there.  This measurement helps me do so.  

Thanks again,

Mark

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille

Greetings jerry

Coming back on Marks question, here’s an idea. I agree our davits are about   2 and a quarter inches long, the sergal model is a  smaller ship by about three and a half I think. My idea is if he determines how far he wants he’s small boat away from the hull of the ship (?) then adds half the width of he’s little boat, the measurement  will be (x) . Then draw a vertical line up from that distance which represents  the rigging,  he can then determine the length of the davit he wants by adjusting the angle of the davit. Well it was an idea !!  Regards DAVID  I cannot find he’s build log.

02A01AE7-A4B6-4C3E-91A7-8F707E043DC6.jpeg

Hello David...

I hope Mark checks my antiquated log and sees your comment which I believe makes a lot of sense.  With respect to his "log" I'm not sure he has one. 

Best,

Jerry

David,

Great idea!!  I will try that tonight and see how it works out.  I do have a build log for the restoration and here is the link.  I have been at it for quite some time and hope to have new pictures up before too long.  Thanks for your help gentlemen!

Mark

Current Build -

On The Shelf -

Marseille