HMS VICTORY by Jerry - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1:72 - 1805 version

Good morning, Derek...So far I don't mind the tiling except for having to sit so long.  I imagine that I'll be doing this for quite some time as it seems to go slowly.  I need to get a real sharp scissors as I'm getting to the point where i need to start shaping tiles.  It reminds me a little of planking the hull when i had to cut strips to form stealers.  I wonder how long the gloss of the copper will last.  The hull of my last ship, Cutty Sark, turned green after a few weeks.  Thanks for taking the time to write.  Jerry

The purpose of this post is merely to show the progress I'm making with the copper plating.  I must admit that this application is by far the slowest and most tedious so far.  But, according to my wife, I'm doing a decent job.  I'm sure going to regret the holiday we'll be going on in a couple of weeks since I can't take Victory with me.  Oh well, life has been full of ups and downs and after all these years I still can't get used to it.  So here are some pics of my progress:

May 24   post-545-0-90522500-1369428464_thumb.jpg      post-545-0-83927400-1369428477_thumb.jpg      post-545-0-02485200-1369428494_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-90522500-1369428464_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-83927400-1369428477_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-02485200-1369428494_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Greetings Jerry

Looks like things are going pretty well, yep it's looking good. Its a tedious job and The ca fumes are a bit of a problem, so it's do a few then walk away for a while. My worsted problem is the less haste thing, I have just messed up on the gunport lids. I think it's the age thing as well. Keep enjoying your build. And have a cracking holiday. Regards DAVID

Hey David.. Thanks for the favorable observation. If I'm talking funny it must be the fumes. I spent most of today copper plating and therefore used a lot of CA glue.  I wish you a happy weekend also and hope to have a little more progress in a day or two.  Take it easy with the gunport lids...The guys in my club scrutinize gunports.  One man said that he can tell how sloppy a build is by the way the gunports are made..  (Just kidding)...Talk to you soon.  Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Amazing job on the copper plating :dancetl6:

Are you to do weathering (aging) to the copper?

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Good morning Nirvana and thanks for your much appreciated compliment.  I do not plan to weather the copper plating as from past experience (see my Cutty Sark at the beginning of this log) the copper will turn by itself.  I don't remember exactly how long after i completed plating Cutty Sark the copper darkened,  but I do know that as soon as the plates are exposed to air (oxygen) they begin to slowly oxidize.  Have a nice day.  Jerry

Good morning Wacko Wolf.  I appreciate your comments and thank you very much for reading my log.  I certainly will keep the pics coming as I proceed further on this kit building road that seems will run forever.  Have a great day, Jerry

Goof afternoon from Naples, Florida.   Still making progress on the copper plating of the hull.  Today I finished the starboard side (not counting keel, falsekeel, rudder post, etc.)  So far this has been quite an experience.  My back hurts, my eyes are getting worse and every time I get out of my chairs I feel stiff all over.  Luckily, the a/csystem and ceiling fan have kept the fumes from the glue from making me dizzy.  On top of everything else, I notice that every once in a while a copper tile on the hull will shed.  Yep, just like a woolen animal.  In reality, what's happening is that some of the tiles are stuck together, a situation very hard to notice.  So if I accidentally glue two piggy- backed tiles onto the hull when I swipe the hull with my hand a tile that's on top of another one will fall off.  After noticing this phenomenon in the beginning of this work I have been scrutinizing the tiles as I pick them up to make sure they are single.  I have been lucky as I have not wasted too many copper plates until I got to the shaping phase.  I wonder what percentage of the 2600 copper plates supplied in the kit are extras?  So tomorrow is another day and if I feel OK I'll begin the port side.  Later then......Jerry

post-545-0-60549800-1369772511_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-80892100-1369772526_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-49204300-1369772536_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-67492700-1369772552_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

very nice jerry, i bought extra plates, - just to be on safe side

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hello Jerry

Well there you go!! Nearly half way through it, and it's all looking good. Well done. Keep up the good work, and by the way make sure you have some tiles left over when you finish, you have the rudder to do later !!! Keep enjoying it...Yep I bought a few extra to play safe. DAVID

Edited by Shipyard sid

Hi Kevin... Thanks for the advice.   I guess I'll wait a little while longer before I buy any extras copper plates.  It's hard to tell what percentage of the original supply I still have left but as a guess I'd say I have more than half.  David (Shipyard Sid) reminded me that I'll need some for the rudder a little later on so we'll see how it goes.  Thanks again and nice to hear from you.  Jerry

David...Thanks for your encouragement.  It's always nice to hear from you.  From what I see, if I'm not wasteful I should have enough of these bloody copper pieces to finish the job.  I was doing fine until the shaping came along.  I must ahve wasted about 10 or 15 pieces doing that.  I assume that the kit is supplied with some extra tiles.  Talk to you later; get some sleep.

Jerry

It's Wednesday evening here in Naples and I wanted those who read my log to not worry that I may have caught builder's blah.  Since I finished plating the starboard side of Victory and as tedious as it was I decided NOT to take a week or two off on a break and start the port side right away.  So for those who may be concerned about any hiatus here. attached  is proof that I am still working.  I'll be back soon.  Jerry

post-545-0-12906600-1369865555_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Good evening, Lawrence.  Nice to hear ffrom you.  I used CA also and don't mind getting it on my fingers from time to time.  It's better to chew it off my fingers since it gives my finger nails a break.  Thanks for your compliment; I'd sure like to see how you are doing.  Do you have a log?  Have a nice eveing and let me know if you and the Admiral ever intend to visit Naples again.  I can't imagine workiing wearing gloves.  LOL..Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hey Lawrence...What I was thinking  with respect to the gloves was it must be a mess when the gloves get glue on them.  Don't they stick together easily?  Jerry

Good morning Lawrence... Well I guess when one gets used to using latex gloves it works out well; after all, you did copper plate your Victory when wearing them.  I'm plating away this morning and am working down the port side.  I hope I have enough plates to finish this phase of the build.  Have a great day and take care,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hello Jerry

Well there you go, starboard side completed and of and running on port. Shouldn't take you long now to get over this laborious task. My build has slowed up. All the hull work is completed, and I have started on the masts. The bowsprit is finished but not assembled, part prob. Not a happy chappy!. I am halfway through the fore mast. This is a nice place. Ok away you go get those tiles clagged on. Regards DAVID

Good morning David...

As of yersterday evening i have about 14 or 15 rows of tiling heading down the port side of the hull.  I hope to do some more work today if I don't have any home chores to do.  My only concern now is whether or not I'll have enough copper plates to finish the job.  It's hard to tell from looking at them in their container.  I know if I run short i can buy some more; time will tell.  Good luck, David, with your masting.  I can't wait to get to that stage of my build.  Have a great day..Jerry

Hi Lawrence...

I hope you are feeling better and that your cold has subsided enough for you to be able to get back to your build.  Colds aren't any fun and I have sure had my share of them.  The plating is progressing well and I hope to get some more done today.  If you have seen the beginning of my log you will have seen that I too have built the Cutty Sark.  It was about 15 years ago and the plating procedure is a dim memory in this old man's mind.  I'll be posting another picture or two at the end of today which will show my progress with Victory's coppering.  I enjoyed reading your log by the way and thanks for keeping it up to date.  Have a terrific day... Jerry

Here's a picture of me as I was sitting applying copper plates.  i can't figure out what my facial expression relates but I know how I felt: mesmerized!  After hours and hours of gluing 7mm x 17mm  copper plates to the hull I must admit I'm a bit dazed. I always thought that running a ceilng fan kept me straight but after seeing this picture I have begun to wonder if i'm getting a litle high.  Oh, well...the show must go on so here's a picture too, of where I stand with my plating progress as of now.  Have  a happy eveing everyone.

Jerry

post-545-0-74037200-1370123209_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-07817200-1370123219_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Very nice Jerry - well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Kevin...Thanks for checking in...I appreciate your thought.  Hope you have a great evening. Jerry

David..Thanks for your directions.  Good news, I found the ship.  Have a good night.  Jerry

Shiny! :piratebo5:
Looking really nice!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Nirvana...Thanks for the look-in.  And thanks too for your comment.  Hope all is going well with you.  Jerry

Edited by Jerry

I still have a little bit of fills to do on the hull with respect to the copper plating. But basically, I'm happy to say that the copper plating is finished. I actually cheated a little as I used some copper plates that are at least 15 years old left over from my Cutty Sark build. These tiles are 5mm wide so they fit exactly on the bottom edge of the keel, etc. I realize thay may not be to scale but I just didn't feel like cutting 1-1/2 mm. lengthwise off the copper tiles supplied in the kit. My wife thinks the 5 mm. tiles are a gift from God.

I'll complete the fill-ins today (I hope) but I felt that I wanted to post my progress to date as we are leaving for a holiday Saturday and I won't have the time to write a post. We're flying to Vancouver, B.C. from where we'll board the Diamond Princess. Then it's a 2 week cruise to Alaska (Anchorage) and back. So there'll be a pause in my build and in my log. I have so much CA cement on my fingers I can hardly feel the keys on this compute's keyboard. I must say that I am totally excited to have finished the copper work as I have been counting copper plates trying to fall asleep at night. I'll see you all in a couple of weeks. In the meanwhile be safe and take care.....Adios,

Jerry

June 6th

post-545-0-82274900-1370533357_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-01601900-1370533394_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-19827700-1370533407_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-24637400-1370534465_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry