Kyushu J7W1 Shinden Interceptor/Fighter by CDW - FINISHED - Zoukei-Mura - 1:32

CDW

This is the start of my 1:32 Zoukei-Mura J7W1 Shinden build thread.

The J7W1 Shinden made her maiden test flights in early August, 1945, after a very quick design phase that started in started in February, 1944, and saw her initial design completed in November, 1944. She was designed and built to counter the allied bombing of the Japanese mainland by high altitude B-29 bombers.

"A superior high speed land based fighter aircraft capable of mastering the shooting down of enemy bombers". She was a single engine monoplane fighter with forward airfoils. She was a design that had never been seen before.

She was powered by a 2030 HP 18 cylinder radial engine which turned a massive 6 blade prop located at the aft end of her fuselage. Her maximum airspeed was 405 knots and could climb from ground level to 8,000 meters in under 10 minutes 30 seconds with a maximum altitude of 12,000 meters. She was armed with 4 30mm cannons.

Zoukei-Mura is a relative newcomer to the injection molded model manufacturing scene, and has hit the scene with some incredibly detailed models of iconic World War 2 fighters and bombers. This kit is no exception and is regarded as the finest model of the J7W1 Shinden on the market, regardless of scale.

DSCN1890edit.jpg

DSCN1891edit.jpg

DSCN1882edit.jpg

DSCN1883edit.jpg

DSCN1884edit.jpg

DSCN1885edit.jpg

DSCN1886edit.jpg

DSCN1887.JPG

DSCN1888edit.jpg

DSCN1889edit.jpg

Very interesting  - the only a/c  I ever built in that scale was the  Airfix  Harrier GR-1   and  Tamiya  F-16.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Oh   and  I now love collecting these   - 

OC.

DSC00112.JPG

DSC00110.JPG

DSC00111.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Very interesting  - the only a/c  I ever built in that scale was the  Airfix  Harrier GR-1   and  Tamiya  F-16.

OC.

How did you like the Airfix Harrier GR-1? That's a 1:32 model I never owned, but I did own the 1:24 Airfix Harrier a long time ago. I had the complete Parkins update set for that model, but ended up trading the set for something else.

Besides the J7W1 Shinden, I also have the Horten 229 flying wing. Both are from the Zoukei-Mura Silver Wings Series. The Horten is going to be a fantastic model.  

1 hour ago, CDW said:

The Horten is going to be a fantastic model.  

I think that is the one I would like to see.

Not long ago there was a group that I think was trying to build a flying replica. I Think they ran out of funds but I believe another full size mock up was built and tested at Nortrop for possible STEALTH properties of the design. No one seems to know where the real aircraft went somewhere in the bowels of the Smithsonian, but the mock up ended up in San Diego at the Air & Space Museum.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

7 hours ago, Richmond said:

Have you purchased the wood grain stencils for the Horten?

Yes, I do have the wood grain decals for the Horten, along with several other detail sets I thought would be nice for the kit. Likewise with the Shinden. 

Part of the reasons I haven't started the Horten yet is trying to decide exactly how I want to finish and display the model. I like the wood grain, but don't want to do the entire model in wood grain. There are beautiful details in both models, but the Horten shell is molded in clear plastic. I'm not a big fan of leaving parts of the shell clear, so need to decide whether to display the model with some of the details removed (such as the engines) or to display with open panels to expose the details.

Both methods are available, for selfish reasons, I would love to see both the decal and stencil options used by someone on the forum.

Assume you have visited the uschi website?

Edited by Richmond

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

13 hours ago, CDW said:

How did you like the Airfix Harrier GR-1? That's a 1:32 model I never owned, but I did own the 1:24 Airfix Harrier a long time ago. I had the complete Parkins update set for that model, but ended up trading the set for something else.

Besides the J7W1 Shinden, I also have the Horten 229 flying wing. Both are from the Zoukei-Mura Silver Wings Series. The Horten is going to be a fantastic model.  

Hang on!    was the Airfix 1/24  the huge one with that sliding canopy?    if so  thats the one I ment   when I was young  my late farther took me to my first airshow  and there was a Harrier GR1  flying there,  he then took me to a model shop and treated me to the Airfix kit  and duly did most of the building of it as I was about 8 then.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I've only built one a/c in 1/32 scale - a Hasegawa (?) FW190A series, while in training. Ended up giving it to a simulator instructor I was friendly with during said training, when I left for my F-4 checkout. Craig, that Shinden will be a spectacular model. Z-M is the Rolls-Royce of aircraft models.👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I've never built a Z-M kit myself, Ken. So this will be a new adventure building my first one. Something very fascinating about the airframe designs of the Shinden and Horten aircraft. Way ahead of their time, almost like Sci-Fi machines.

Here in Tampa at MacDill AFB, we saw F-4's for many years. Always loved the lines of that brute. She was big and fast, with that distinctive dark vapor trail behind her. Then there were F-16's and now nothing but tankers. Before the F-4's, there were B-47's.

Check out the Luft '46 stuff. Why do you think the Allies grabbed up as much German stuff as they could right after WW II. There is a Ho229 in the workshops of the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. Along with a Heinkel He 219 Uhu or Owl. That was the German purpose built night fighter. Earlier stuff was cobbled from existing light/medium bombers. The US equivalent was the Northrop P-61. They were big to haul around the airborne intercept radar sets of the day.

We eventually reduced that "distinctive" black trail by redesigning the engine combustor cans to make burning the jet fuel way more complete. Didn't help the mileage any, but it removed the exhaust trail. Only took GE, engine makers, 20 years to redesign the cans and another 10 for the Air Force to alter the contracts to buy the upgrade. :rolleyes:

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Here is the link for uschi https://www.uschivdr.com a real artisan, you see a lot of his work in modelling magazines and WNW books.

and a further link for SWS stencils from an Australian outlet https://www.bnamodelworld.com/parts-decals-for-aircraft-1:32-zoukei-mura-sws08-m07?zenid=338c4e7d5d3842313127828f5650fd67, there  are two types of stencil available,

RB Productions do them also https://www.bnamodelworld.com/general-detailing-sets-model-planes-rb-productions-rb-t029?zenid=338c4e7d5d3842313127828f5650fd67 they have  4 types I believe.

I would find it difficult to believe that they would not be available in the US

Edited by Richmond

Current Builds

Fabulous website, Richmond. Thanks for sharing those links! 

There is an online shop here in the USA, Florida to be exact, who carries the Uschi products.

BNA is a go-to online shop for me. Even though it's on the other side of the world from here, his prices are competitive even with the shipping on many things. And his product selection is huge. Great shop.

On 11/25/2018 at 12:40 PM, Old Collingwood said:

Hang on!    was the Airfix 1/24  the huge one with that sliding canopy?    if so  thats the one I ment   when I was young  my late farther took me to my first airshow  and there was a Harrier GR1  flying there,  he then took me to a model shop and treated me to the Airfix kit  and duly did most of the building of it as I was about 8 then.

OC.

Yes, that's the one. The kit came with the long bottle-nose as a way to update the kit to a GR3 (?) if one wished to do so.

Sounds like you have some good memories of your Dad with model building.

• 1 month later...

Stainless photoetch? If so, gotta be real careful with those bends.  Engine looks great.

Ken

17 minutes ago, Canute said:

Stainless photoetch? If so, gotta be real careful with those bends.  Engine looks great.

While Zoukei-Mura is the sole provider of this and other photo etch update sets for this model, the sets are actually produced by Eduard. As far as I can determine, there is no logical reason why Eduard chooses to use stainless steel vs: brass on their photo etch sets. I am not a fan of stainless steel photo etch for the most part, and not a fan of Eduard for that matter. The sets are way over priced for what you get as are Eduard products in general.

And yes, a 90 degree bend in stainless steel is very likely to result in breakage.

awesome looking project CDW........your off to a real good start :)     I didn't gt no Tee shirt... :blink: {see what happens when you tell kids not to do something!!!! :rolleyes:}    kudos to Richmond for listing those links.........very nice eye candy  ;) 

I'll be following what looks to be a real fine model  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

awesome looking project CDW........your off to a real good start :)     I didn't gt no Tee shirt... :blink: {see what happens when you tell kids not to do something!!!! :rolleyes:}    kudos to Richmond for listing those links.........very nice eye candy  ;) 

I'll be following what looks to be a real fine model  :) 

Thanks for stopping by, Denis!...and for the nice comments.

You didn't get the tee shirt? Well, at least you were warned to do it when the admiral and children were not in the room in view of your monitor. I was caught totally by surprise. 😎 

Looks great. It would be interesting to hear about your paint choices and weathering methods as you go through the build. Are you using pigments as well?

Current Builds

Thanks Richmond.

I used Mr Color Metal Aluminum on the engine cylinders and crank case, with Vallejo black ink for a wash to bring out the cooling fin details. Tamiya gloss black on the intake manifold and rocker covers. I used Mr. Color Metal Iron to dry brush the black manifold and rocker covers.

For most of this model (maybe all?), I will be using Mr Color Acrysion, Mr Color Metal, Tamiya paints and some Vallejo washes. Will use Pledge Floor Care as a generic acrylic gloss clear coat where necessary before washes.

Uschi is definitely the place to go for woodgrain decals, paints, and metal finishes. The metal powder finishes are very easy to use and produce spectacular results. Below was me playing around with them, I made a balsa wood glider, filled the pores with lots of sanding sealer, painted Tamiya flat black over everything and then burnished that down (Tamiya flat black is soft and can be burnished out to a still-soft semi-gloss or gloss), and then rubbed in some of Uschi's aluminum powder. Once I was done I couldn't tell it wasn't solid highly polished aluminum.

Tragically the balsa proved much too unstable for that level of surface smoothness, after I set it aside for a month all sorts of ripples started to appear. But certainly styrene and resin and acrylic and other easily workable substrates can be made into complex parts that are indistinguishable from solid metal.

N1mi63e.jpg

5 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

Uschi is definitely the place to go for woodgrain decals, paints, and metal finishes. The metal powder finishes are very easy to use and produce spectacular results. Below was me playing around with them, I made a balsa wood glider, filled the pores with lots of sanding sealer, painted Tamiya flat black over everything and then burnished that down (Tamiya flat black is soft and can be burnished out to a still-soft semi-gloss or gloss), and then rubbed in some of Uschi's aluminum powder. Once I was done I couldn't tell it wasn't solid highly polished aluminum.

That looks amazing! Will be giving those powders a try very soon.

A Z-M P-51D screams for that as a NMF.