Kyushu J7W1 Shinden Interceptor/Fighter by CDW - FINISHED - Zoukei-Mura - 1:32

CDW

I think you will find GSI Creos is the umbrella, with the Mr Colour, Hobby, Aqueous, Metal, Paint, Tool and so on, underneath that pretty large 'Mr' prefix umbrella.

I also note you get bigger bottles in the US , ours Tamiya and Mr jars are limited to 10ml, which is pretty small.

Edited by Richmond

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

4 hours ago, Richmond said:

I think you will find GSI Creos is the umbrella, with the Mr Colour, Hobby, Aqueous, Metal, Paint, Tool and so on, underneath that pretty large 'Mr' prefix umbrella.

I also note you get bigger bottles in the US , ours Tamiya and Mr jars are limited to 10ml, which is pretty small.

Yes, I believe you are correct.

A local business who specialize in airbrush sales recently expanded their line of products to include GSI Creos products. Until then, these products were unavailable to me.

did you brush it on and wipe it off?  looked very scary..........but very effective ;)    looks awesome!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

12 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

did you brush it on and wipe it off?  looked very scary..........but very effective ;)    looks awesome!

Yes, you brush it on, allow to it dry, then give it a wipe down with a soft paper towel that's very lightly moistened.

The beauty of the Flory clay washes is that they will wash off. If you don't like the look, wash it off and rework it. As well, if you wipe too much off, just add some more. It's a very forgiving product. Of course, once you get the look you want, seal it down with a clear coat of your favorite varnish.

If you take a close look at the guns in this photo, notice that the guns were first painted, assembled and installed into the gun bays. Then the fuselage body panels were assembled and the entire airframe was painted (Japanese Green). All this was done without the guns being masked as it would have been difficult to do so. In any event, all it will take in the end is to dry brush them with the Mr Color Metal (dark iron) to regain that metal look.

The Mr Color Metal paints are very good for dry brushing. Similar to the old Testors Metalizer paints, but superior. They can be buffed after airbrushing to give that polished metal look. With small parts like the gun barrels, the paint can be brushed on as well but it must be buffed to shine afterward.

It's interesting how all the green cDSCN2022guncrop.thumb.jpg.93ec9c6ddb43f019cb79b6603370487c.jpgolor paint can be applied to the fuselage and the guns still retain most of their original look without masking.

that is one very fine model............not much of a landing gear set up.   long.........make one wonder how it survived landings ;) 

superbly done model :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Craig

I'm sorry to nitpick, but you missed a very noticeable design feature. The prop had angled tips, not straight! :huh::D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks for the comments and likes. To finish this model, I will add final details, final decals, and a dull clear coat. Will do a simple base for it to sit upon, maybe something like a grass runway and maybe a table or two to set the maintenance panels on.

RE: the landing gear...they are an enigma to me. So long and spindly looking. Makes one wonder if they could have held up over time, particularly as a carrier based plane where aircraft are known for abusive conditions for landing gear. One plane that comes to mind is the F7F Tigercat. It had some very spindly legs as well but they seemed to hold up during the Korean War, so go figure.

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q=shinden&fkCOMPNAME[]="Zoukei-Mura"&fkTYPENAME[]="Full kits"

Not always the easiest site to navigate but it may assist you with your query.

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

On 2/8/2019 at 4:35 PM, Richmond said:

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q=shinden&fkCOMPNAME[]="Zoukei-Mura"&fkTYPENAME[]="Full kits"

Not always the easiest site to navigate but it may assist you with your query.

Thanks for the link. Looks like the consensus of opinion with other modelers is all the formation lights hold to the standard navigation routine of red on the left and green on the right. 

These will likely be the final photographs I will post of the J7W1 Shinden build. There may be a few minor touch ups I will do here and there, but nothing significant enough to post new photos. The finished model will be displayed on a wooden plaque that depicts a grass runway at the April IPMS regional show coming up soon. Next, I want to finish one more complete model as well as finish the 1:200 IJN Mikasa started a year ago. These will also go to the regional IPMS show in April. Tentatively, plan to build the red 1:32 Albatros D.V of Manfred Von Richthofen from Wingnut Wings next.DSCN2034.thumb.jpg.a55fab02328357f9fe62ad0164b3e4e7.jpgDSCN2035.thumb.jpg.ff3d40ec3075c0099dcfa879605de37f.jpgDSCN2036.thumb.jpg.35cdd11d2db95c78cd98121924393e83.jpgDSCN2037.thumb.jpg.3c30a0fde442fadebc1b66a3929d8e6b.jpgDSCN2039.thumb.jpg.732d74e451c1386c3cd94055bfd42337.jpgDSCN2040.thumb.jpg.c1d08551cd501338a6119c0ca0d5aee9.jpgDSCN2041.thumb.jpg.dcebf88dccf7eeef42cd2810786291a1.jpgDSCN2043.thumb.jpg.6198889aaf1e19b67e4364f64fd19ed1.jpg

Mark Taylor: If you read this...is it appropriate to post photos of non-ships model in the gallery?

I'll just wait to congratulate you for when you post all of your trophies!:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

fantastic looking model!  you really did a great job ;)    are you going to do a log on the Albatros?  should be interesting to see.....I've never built one.

likely not in the gallery......I think it's ships only

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: