Medway Longboat 1742 1/2 inch scale by Jim Rogers

Picked up the kit at the Post Office, did an inventory and had trouble de-cypering some of the markings on the sheets. So I did a count, counts right so moving on. Got the scarf joint done and keel glued up. Will post pictures when I have more accomplished. I have an issue with builds. I really, really like to get them built and get to the rigging so I tend to hurry. A friend described as a building machine. My goal on this one is to slow down and be more precise.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Yes Jim slow is the way to go. I have to constantly keep telling myself that too.  

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I have seen your affliction many many times before.  Being in a hurry wont do you any favors.  This is not a project that will take you much time so there is no need to race through it.  In this scale and with this subject....any sloppy craftsmanship will stick out like a sore thumb.

SLOOOOW and steady.

Chuck

I decided on the Lap joint so I broke out my chisels and had at it.Taking a cue from Ken W I made a copy of the keel bolts, taped on in the appropriate spot and then going against the grain, placed it on a sacrifice piece of wood and drilled all the way through, glued in the fishing line and set it aside. 

fullsizeoutput_271.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_272.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_273.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_274.jpeg

Edited by Jim Rogers

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Next I started on the bulkheads and frames. I removed the extra keel parts and used them as a sanding guide prior to assembly. For the floors I cleaned off the inside char and then sanded the "V" down to fit snugly in the notch.

fullsizeoutput_276.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_275.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

For the bulkheads I sanded and test fit them in the assembly stand as I went along. Took me two days to build all the frames. Then I assembled the keel assembly to the frame assemblies. I did two test runs and the two assemblies actually went together quite well on the first one. I said HMMMM that has NEVER happened before so something must be wonky so I took it apart, put it back together. Same result. So I added glue to the mix and wouldn't you know it...........Same result. This is one finely engineered and cut kit. Bravo Zulu Chuck.

Fairing will have to wait a few days as the Admiral and I are off to Victoria BC for the weekend. 

IMG_4483.JPG

IMG_4482.JPG

fullsizeoutput_279.jpeg

IMG_4486.JPG

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Great start Jim!  Enjoy your trip! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

are the support blocks holding the transom pushing it forward?  Looks like they are forward of that first engraved line on the build board? Maybe pushing your transom too vertical?

ben

• 4 weeks later...

Catching up. Everyone is building the same boat soooooo I decided to go a road less traveled. Made a few changes like the color. I originally installed the large floor boards but decided to remove them and cut them into strips. Now to look up Chuck’s instructions for making a Flag. Going French. Maybe some armament.

142BD03E-A1B0-415D-85D2-F31FE2727A75.jpeg

3DEBC85A-FC73-404B-8D1D-25E308047944.jpeg

E7B98AA0-81A0-4856-8EC0-59B314A9E8B1.jpeg

4F46B203-7FCD-402A-8C62-9786F5DCCF83.jpeg

7B3CF192-F0F0-4152-B99E-0B84A5F7C442.jpeg

C21F6527-4A79-4D33-85EE-C21754E8329B.jpeg

87E7E1EA-4BDE-4A54-8E3F-1374F7B77B8F.jpeg

1E0A9F77-6A80-44BB-9EAF-8D52CEEF5F87.jpeg

F849651B-5E49-403C-9C13-0A39C06DA5DE.jpeg

0BE0631D-F569-4F14-A55F-19802A693D58.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Very nice Jim. It's always fun to others add their own personal touches!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

That looks very good.  Interesting choices.  Your craftmanship is clean and crisp.  One thing i would suggest after doing such superior work on the hull however would be to improve on those belaying pins.  It would be a shame to go with out of scale pins in what is otherwise a gorgeous model.  They look a bit bulbous and squat ...

Other than that though really beautiful work.

11 hours ago, Chuck said:

That looks very good.  Interesting choices.  Your craftmanship is clean and crisp.  One thing i would suggest after doing such superior work on the hull however would be to improve on those belaying pins.  It would be a shame to go with out of scale pins in what is otherwise a gorgeous model.  They look a bit bulbous and squat ...

Other than that though really beautiful work.

Thanks Chuck. I modeled the belaying pins after my current body shape short and fat. I sanded the fat out of them and they look much better, sorta like my younger self. Question would there be any cleats on a Longboat for securing mooring lines or flags on the mast?

Edited by Jim Rogers

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Nope....these small workboats just had the lines belayed whereever they could.  Two lines on a belaying pin etc.....  Wrapped around a thwart....Belayed to the shrouds above the deadeyes or to blocks on the backstays.  

• 3 weeks later...

I am waiting on some cannon balls and casks and I have to make the flag to be completely finished. I mounted a swivel gun at the bow and constructed some cargo boxes out of cherry and walnut. Ammunition holders are made of red heart. I also threw some real deer and badger pelts. I have a real nice section of Walnut Burl Veneer I’ll be making the base from. This is one sweeeeeet kit. Love it. 

E5A6DD2C-62F9-4463-891C-BC6FAF5BA02F.jpeg

662F81EB-3717-4864-8EC8-56FFE5272FA9.jpeg

98764A40-7ECD-440E-9800-9FD8EDBC71F9.jpeg

177D84A2-402F-4CE3-989B-D97EEBF070DF.jpeg

8BCF0482-61F3-4F78-9A45-BD96269C6398.jpeg

6372EF86-38AD-4F78-8E04-B3314B7D82BA.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Boy you have been busy. Your model looks outstanding. I love the additional touches.  

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 3 months later...