Hello from Southern California!

andreank

Hi Everyone!

I joined this forum a few years ago after I had purchased my first kits. I was in college at the time and did not realize the commitment these ships take. Without a reliable work space, I just never really got going. Now that I am well into the real world, I am thinking about opening those models back up. My grandfather built a few model ships and I think it would be a great way to connect with him as he is getting quite old. 

I know there are SO many incredible logs on here to reference. Before I start, I want to do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions. I am as GREEN as they come.

I have both the Model Shipways Sultana and Phantom. Does anybody have a recommendation of which one to start with? Ive seen great logs for both but would love input! 

-Andrea

Welcome to MSW, Andrea.   Once you decide which kit, do by all means open a build log.  It's the best way to get help and also to make friends.

As for which kit?  Let me ask this... which one interests you more?  There's an article in the Database which might help:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/plans_and_research/KitSelection.pdf.   I'm not one to talk as my first "purchased but not built kit" was the Billing Vasa.   Oops...  hasty retreat to a very basic model then a step up to a AI brig)....  Been a fun adventure.   Keep it fun and use MSW as a resource.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome,Andrea!

As you are probably aware, very good practicums exist for both of those models, so you can't go wrong in choosing whichever one has the most visceral appeal for you and going for it.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Andrea,

From where in SoCal do you hail?  If you are interested in getting involved with a club, there are a couple available.  One in San Diego and one in the L.A. area.

Both PHANTOM and SULTANA are great starter kits.  I prefer SULTANA because I am more into the colonial era but PHANTOM provides the same benefits and challenges.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Gidday and welcome from the land Downunder Andrea.

Great advice from Chuck, if practical for you to have a look at a club.

You will find plenty of support and encouragement here.

Remember that every question, within reason, is valid. Although at times some questions are infuriating. Ask my grandchildren what I mean after 300 times of why, why, why.

All the best with your Phantom.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not responding sooner.  Chris has provided the info on the two SOCAL clubs.  The SMA would be closer to you, although some SMA members belong to both.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)