Friech Boeir Yacht SPERWER by Kortes -1:30 scale - FINISHED

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the history of dutch marine. But if you would find this interesting, my friend 

recomended me several sites, maybe you could find there the answers.

https://www.heechbydemar.com/sale/list-of-sales

https://www.heechbydemar.com/sale/list-of-sales

My best regards Alexander.

I'm afraid that the five pictures above just show up on my screen as tiny boxes with X's.:huh:

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

12 hours ago, andante said:

That is mighty nice planking! I wonder how many of these lovely boats have survived, how many restored or converted into house boats. Could you tell a bit more about the old yachts, materials used and their dimensions?

Unfortunately i find only information in the Dutch language.

Google search = Boeier 

https://www.ssrp.nl/stamboek/scheepstypes/boeiers/boeier

https://www.ssrp.nl/stamboek/scheepstypes/friese-jachten/fries-jacht

Some in English

http://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/oi/authority.20110803095515156

If you want a new one ;) (the dimensions are 7.50 x 3.58 m)

http://blomaak.nl/boeier/

Ps,

great work cortes

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Boeiers are almost never converted to housing. Too small for that, and their price as sailing yacht issimply higher than as converted ship. Quite a lot of them survived, as this type of boeier is relatively new, and they are still build (both wood, oak, or sometimes in steel). As they never were working boats, theyhave been cared for, and have a relatively long life span.

I like your model, it has the right atmosphere.

Jan

Edited by amateur

The deck is beautifully done and the pins in the deck as well. I like how you made the curved baton for the bow. I am assuming that it was a difficult job. 

I love all the curves from Dutch ships. It's what makes them unique. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

3 hours ago, flying_dutchman2 said:

The deck is beautifully done and the pins in the deck as well. I like how you made the curved baton for the bow. I am assuming that it was a difficult job. 

I love all the curves from Dutch ships. It's what makes them unique. 

Marcus 

Yes, you are right, this stage of building was the most difficult for me, and i'm glad i managed to assemble the 

broadsides well. Just like you, i liked this dutch yacht for its unique uncommon form.

My best regards Alexander.

Kortes,

Your boeier turns out really marvelous. I like the very crisp detail you have added to her so far, the planking, the caulking of the deck, doors, etc. It is becoming a truely wonderful representation of the type of yacht.

By the way Sperwer means sparrowhawk

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

that's the bird, Kortes. It's funny, I'm reading a book from the Bolitho series where he is promoted to commander of a sloop called sparrow ...

Edited by cog

Carl

Didn't see the building-log until now - excellent progress and excellent work !

DE SPERWER is preserved in the Zuiderzeemuseum in Enkhuizen/NL. Here you can check out various detail pictures that I took of her, when I lived in the area for a some years: https://www.maritima-et-mechanika.org/maritime/zuiderzee/zuiderzee.html

She has an interesting history. She was built as yacht from the beginning, while boeiers were sort of representative boats for well-to-do people in a country when there were not many roads and no motor-cars. Kind of Dutch Mercedes of the 19th century. They were also used as kind of long-distance taxis or inspection boats. DE SPERWER was owned by a certain Merlin Minshall, an adventurer, who worked for British intelligence during WWII, where he met Ian Fleming, who partially modelled 'James Bond' after him.

There is a monograph on the boeiers, albeit in the Dutch language:

VERMEER, J. (2004): De Boeier.- 528 p., Alkmaar (De Alk & Heijnen Watersport).

BTW, what part of the World are you from ? I seem to see some kind of Dutch/Belgian/Northern French houses through the window in one of your pictures ...

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thanks. At some stage I also plan to build a boeier or a tjotter, but not a 'modern' yacht, rather a mid-19th century one ... so I collected material while I was in the area.

Incidentally, the Dutch national archives and some museums have a lot of plans for downloading.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

Kortes, I am curious about the function of that coffin shaped area on the fore deck.  Does it have something to do with a centerboard?

IMG_2157.JPG

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Nice pictures of the Boeier, Wefalck!

Het Friese Scheepvaart museum has a lot of plans online, free for the downloading. 

Then on archive.com their are 3 books by Emile van Konijnenburg, Shipbuilding from its beginning volume 1, 2, & 3. The first 2 are descriptions of ships in Dutch and vol 3 is all plans and color drawings of Dutch ships. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

6 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Kortes, I am curious about the function of that coffin shaped area on the fore deck.  Does it have something to do with a centerboard?

IMG_2157.JPG

Dear BETAQDAVE

This element is called uitvip (mastluik) The construction of Boeier has a possibility to change

the mast from working position to the transportion position. This hatch is specially conceived for this purpose.

The elemet that caught your attention is a removable cover of this hatch. I think the photos will explain everything.

My best regards.

1-14.jpg

1-16.jpg

voorjaar-2011-011.jpg

2911135751.jpg

(1).jpg

11 hours ago, wefalck said:

Didn't see the building-log until now - excellent progress and excellent work !

DE SPERWER is preserved in the Zuiderzeemuseum in Enkhuizen/NL. Here you can check out various detail pictures that I took of her, when I lived in the area for a some years: https://www.maritima-et-mechanika.org/maritime/zuiderzee/zuiderzee.html

She has an interesting history. She was built as yacht from the beginning, while boeiers were sort of representative boats for well-to-do people in a country when there were not many roads and no motor-cars. Kind of Dutch Mercedes of the 19th century. They were also used as kind of long-distance taxis or inspection boats. DE SPERWER was owned by a certain Merlin Minshall, an adventurer, who worked for British intelligence during WWII, where he met Ian Fleming, who partially modelled 'James Bond' after him.

There is a monograph on the boeiers, albeit in the Dutch language:

VERMEER, J. (2004): De Boeier.- 528 p., Alkmaar (De Alk & Heijnen Watersport).

BTW, what part of the World are you from ? I seem to see some kind of Dutch/Belgian/Northern French houses through the window in one of your pictures ...

Dear wefalck

Thank you very much for Your attention to my work. The information you have given me on the history of "Sherver"

is very interesting to me.

My best regards.

Mon pays de résidence se situe environ 1500 km sud-est.) :)

Edited by KORTES

Very impressive work Kortes.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Most, if not all Dutch traditional sailing-boats had their mast installed in a ‘tabernacle’, that is a sturdy two- or three-sided frame. The mast rests in a spur and is locked in place with a latch. To lower the mast, one opens the latch, lifts up the mast a bit and then lowers it. In other, more modern arrangements the mast pivots around a bolt in the top of the tabernacle and is locked in place with another bolt at the foot.

For this reason the boats had a minimum of standing rigging that also could be easily unhooked.

This arrangement was needed because of the many low bridges along the waterways. Some could be raised, but they charged a fee for this.

wefalck

8 hours ago, KORTES said:

Mon pays de résidence se situe environ 1500 km sud-est.)

D'où ... (From where ...)

Carl