Friech Boeir Yacht SPERWER by Kortes -1:30 scale - FINISHED

Kortes

Will you be applying a heavy coat of varnish to your model as is shown on all of those harbor photos?

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

1 hour ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Kortes

Will you be applying a heavy coat of varnish to your model as is shown on all of those harbor photos?

My greetings, Dave. There's no point in coating with varnish the model as the functional yahts.

The more so, it is considered bad form in the region where i live, the shine has to be matted. So, as uasually I plan

on covering it wwith tung oil or linen oil.

My best regards.

Btw make sure the bolt is in the correct place: it is slightly below the centerline of the leenord, not on the centerline.

1D139097-D9FD-49FB-9FB7-AB271AB8ACEB.jpeg.308a9c08010ff4be794446a49b2720b8.jpeg

this image shows a drawing of a portside leeboard of a friese boeier (drawing downloaded from maritiem digitaal), newer than Sperwer, but valud for almost all boeiers, i guess)

Jan

On 12/9/2018 at 9:35 AM, wefalck said:

Incidentally, the Dutch national archives and some museums have a lot of plans for downloading.

wefalck : Which ones? Besides het Friese Scheepvaart museum which has many plans, what other museums have plans for downloading?

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

That is a serious looking rudder. Beautifully executed. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

What do you mean? The foto is exactly like the drawing: the bolt is just below the mid-line of the leeboard, there is only one difference: the number of planks used: 8 in the drawing, 7 in the leeboard of the sperwer.

the curvature of the leeboard is too small to be seen in the picture.

Jan

Edited by amateur

@Marcus,

the only one I am aware of is the navy-archive, that has almost all pre-wwII ships on line (in very high definition, and lots of detail drawings.

next to that is maritiem-digitaal, but most of that is low-resolution, small sized (like the one of the leeboard, posted above).

Apart from that, I do not know of anything.....

Jan

Hi Kortes,

nice tiller. When the tiller is completely to the left or right, does it stay clear from the bulkhead? Very ofthe the tiller has a very subtle curve upwwrd, just to make sure that it does not touch the bulkhead. 

Do you also plan to add the eyesbolts to attach the flagpole to the rudder?

Jan

Marcus, I believe 'maritiem digital' is a sort of portal through which one have access to (some) material from various museums, including, I think, Rotterdam. I have not looked at it for some time though.

Concerning the varnishing, I found this always a bit garish on the Dutch boats that have been converted into yachts. Must be some sort of fashion, but in reality doesn't say anything about the quality of maintenance. A thick layer of varnish on a model too looks much like a cheap souvenir model, where also 'glossy' seems to be taken as a sign of quality. I gather something a bit more glossy than satin would be right. Personally, I would apply some cellulose-based woodfiller, rub this down with very fine (0000) steel-wool and then polish with a felt-wheel in a power-drill. On the hard wood you used this should give a nice sheen whithout adding a perceptible layer of varnish.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

38 minutes ago, amateur said:

When the tiller is completely to the left or right, does it stay clear from the bulkhead?

Yes, I checked. :)

Do you also plan to add the eyesbolts to attach the flagpole to the rudder?

Yes, I'll show you now.

Edited by KORTES

Lovely work kortes

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

41 minutes ago, wefalck said:

Marcus, I believe 'maritiem digital' is a sort of portal through which one have access to (some) material from various museums, including, I think, Rotterdam. I have not looked at it for some time though.

Concerning the varnishing, I found this always a bit garish on the Dutch boats that have been converted into yachts. Must be some sort of fashion, but in reality doesn't say anything about the quality of maintenance. A thick layer of varnish on a model too looks much like a cheap souvenir model, where also 'glossy' seems to be taken as a sign of quality. I gather something a bit more glossy than satin would be right. Personally, I would apply some cellulose-based woodfiller, rub this down with very fine (0000) steel-wool and then polish with a felt-wheel in a power-drill. On the hard wood you used this should give a nice sheen whithout adding a perceptible layer of varnish.

Maritiemdigitaal is the portal used by the dutch maritime museums to their digital database. The quality of the pictures differs between the museums, and there is no way to order high quality copies of the pictures/foto's/drawings shown.

But as the museums have invested in this system,they have no own database/ordering system (the fries museum being an exception, but even there is no download-option/ordering option)

Jan

Beautiful workmanship on the lee boards and the rudder Kortes.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.