Friech Boeir Yacht SPERWER by Kortes -1:30 scale - FINISHED

19 hours ago, amateur said:

question: you are not using black paint, but black wood instead.

How are you going to apply the distinctive white striping?

Jan

Dear Jan.

That's true, i don't like painting. In the model i'm planning on using only wwood. The only element i'll apply paint to

is the top of the mast. Regarding the white stripes - i'll figure something out.

My best regards.

20 hours ago, wefalck said:

Concerning the varnishing, I found this always a bit garish on the Dutch boats that have been converted into yachts. Must be some sort of fashion, but in reality doesn't say anything about the quality of maintenance. A thick layer of varnish on a model too looks much like a cheap souvenir model, where also 'glossy' seems to be taken as a sign of quality. I gather something a bit more glossy than satin would be right. Personally, I would apply some cellulose-based woodfiller, rub this down with very fine (0000) steel-wool and then polish with a felt-wheel in a power-drill. On the hard wood you used this should give a nice sheen whithout adding a perceptible layer of varnish.

I completely agree with you. That's the way i'm planning on proceeding with my wwork.

I brushed up this technique while working on La Jacinthe.

My best regards.

Very nice work !!

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 12/13/2018 at 10:59 AM, KORTES said:

That's true, i don't like painting. In the model i'm planning on using only wwood. The only element i'll apply paint to

is the top of the mast. Regarding the white stripes - i'll figure something out.

You might try to use the foil technique that Doris uses.  I have employed her method for my Wanderer and it's easy to do with very effective results, especially when the foil has an embossed wood grain.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Excellent metal work. Clean looking as well 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Thank you very much Valeriy.

I solder with an ordinary solder, i bouught it in radio-store.

I wanted to use only steel, for more authenticity, and as you have probably noticed already all big element were made from nails of different caliber and iron plates.:) But i think i won't be able to do without latten in the future.

I would like to express my admiration of Your soldering skills, I'm a freshman compared to You.

Respectfully yours.

Edited by KORTES

3 hours ago, KORTES said:

I wanted to use only steel, for more authenticity, and as you have probably noticed already all big element were made from nails of different caliber and iron plates.:) But i think i won't be able to do without latten in the future.

Thus, you consciously chose the risk of using black metal. Let's hope that there will be no problems.  :) 

3 hours ago, KORTES said:

I would like to express my admiration of Your soldering skills, I'm a freshman compared to You.

No problem, you can quickly get ahead of me in this technology. :) 

I agree with Wefalck: it's risky cutting mouldings already in place, unless one is very bold! Beautiful work, Kortes.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

7 hours ago, druxey said:

I agree with Wefalck: it's risky cutting mouldings already in place, unless one is very bold! Beautiful work, Kortes.

Dear Wefalck and druxey.  In the majority of cases it is risky, but in this particular case I was sure that it could be done. :)

My best regards.