Friech Boeir Yacht SPERWER by Kortes -1:30 scale - FINISHED

Normally it is not so good to show (modern) models to illustrate matters, as one never knows, where the modeller got his wisdom from, but all the pictures I have of mast tabernacles a cluttered with ropes and other stuff, so here is picture of my Zuiderzee-botter model in 1:90 scale:

BotterModel-048.jpg

Here the mast tilts forward, so one didn't need to cut out the 'coffin' in the forward cabin.

P.S. perhaps one should rather ask ?dondé? 1500 km (as the crow flies) from Enkhuizen gets you to somewhere in the middle of Spain or so ... didn't realise this before, but the morion in his avatar also suggests that region ...

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Very nice woodwork !

Just a little point: DE SPERWER, like many of these boats was not constructed on a keel, but on a fairly wide and thick bottom plank, hence such boats were called platbodems in Dutch. If you check on the drawing in your first post, you will see, that what appears as a keel  really is only a thin plank that is nailed to the bottom for protection. Perhaps you should take away a few milimetres from your 'keel'.

There are other boeiers, however, that were built on a keel. The platbodems were mainly built for tidal waters, where they could then easily sit on the mud at low water, while a boat with a keel sails better, but leans over, when on the mud.

wefalck

Dear wefalck,

I'm very happy to find in your person such a wonderful connoisseur of Boeier theory, I have learned a lot from you and in 

the future I hope for your help and consultatations. Not speaking the language doesnt allow me to read primary sources.

I'd be happy to get your help.

I absolutely agree with you on your point about the keel, I named it so just to simplify. Thank you for your remarque, 

but i think the element itself was made correctly. The plank has a thiсkening in places of coupling with stems , and

in the area of body-frame it decreases in thickness. I made it probably half millimeter thicker than it should be, but

the difference will be cut off later . :)

My best regards. Alexander.

tjotter-Anna-10.jpg

DSC04553.jpg

In the monograph on boeiers cited above, there is a cross-section of DE SPERWER which shows the massive floor-timbers, but only some pretty thin planks underneath. This together with KORTES's drawing made me conclude that the boat is built on a horizontal plank, rather a vertical keel. As a matter of fact, there are many transitional designs, not only in Dutch boats, between bottom-planks and keels. Bottom-planks tend to be the older tradition that often slowly changes into the now quite ubiquitous keel, but not everywhere, of course.

The tapering is presumably due to the fact, that they want a pretty wide portective plank in the middle, but then have to somehow lead this into the stem- and stern-post.

wefalck

Alexander,

In the photos that you posted above, an interesting detail is the stack of rollers on the mast to secure the mainsail  instead of the wooden hoops that we usually see.  I wonder if these were commonly used on Dutch Boiers or if this was an invention by the vessel’s owner.

Roger

There are many different ways of attaching a sail to the mast. Dutch ships often used a continuous rope running through eyelets in the sail and then around the mast. This is a rather old-fashioned method actually. In order to make the sail run down the mast more easily when lowering the gaff, wooden 'pearls' or klotjes were added.

wefalck

Wooden hoops almost never show up in these dutch veseels.

wefalk: we refferee to different things: boeiers are not build on a vertical keel, always on a flat bottom plank. 

but I thought you meant that the ships was build on a broad bottom board, with a protective strip in the middle of that board.

that - to my knwledge - was never done with boeiers, they  have a bottomplank that is thicker than the normal hull planks.

the rope to secure the mainsail to the mast has two versions: one single rope, or -as is seen in one of the pics above - a series of single, diagonally placed ropes, alsays with these klootjes to minimize friction and the wear on the rope.

Jan

Edited by amateur

Very good and clean work! I sink my hat .. :imNotWorthy: O.

Ondras.

Done : President - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=90230
Under construction : Roter Lowe - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=114576

Member of the organizing clubhttps://wchs-c-2023.klom-admiral.cz/en