Friech Boeir Yacht SPERWER by Kortes -1:30 scale - FINISHED

4 hours ago, G.L. said:

Alexander,

Did you make your carvings with a chisel, a knife or a rotary tool?

Your boeier yacht becomes a real beauty.

My greetings dear Geert.

This element of carving was made using nothing but incisor. For the finish processing I had to surface it using a wooden toothpick, fastened by microdrill.

My best regards. Happy New Year!    

3 hours ago, Valeriy V said:

Alexander is an interesting solution using plastic. Why didn't you use black paper?

My greetings dear Valeriy

I haven’t worked with paper, although I have been reading a lot about it. Time ago I picked from several variations of caulking imitation, and chose this technology and from that time on I have been using only it. For several reasons – plastic can be surfaced and scraped very well in final polishing of the deck covering. And secondly, to my point of view, it resembles better the seal of joints on the deck. And thirdly, on these ships joints are very wide and paper imitation wouldn’t work. Even plastic had to be glued in two layers.

My best regards, Happy New Year.

IMG_1256.JPG

IMG_0.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

1000_wo.jpg

Foto Matthijs Gorgels 1353.jpeg

Kortes, 

The Sperwer is coming along nicely. Everything of the pilot house (kajuit) is beautifully executed. 

At the scale you are building all the details come out really well. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

I was wondering too why you didn't use paper, but you have clearified that. The bond between the wood and the plastic will be much stronger than the one when using paper. The only thing is, I would rather use a dark grey than black on a scale model

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Lovely work Kortes.

A happy and prosperous new year to you and your family.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Beyond amazing metalwork.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice work as usual 👍

BTW, the leeboards (zwaards) will also need a hole for attaching the hoisting rope that is belayed on one of the cleats inbord. I gather, the boier also had a hoisting tackle for the leeboards.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Beautiful work Kortes. These are very odd boats- hull turned almost into a circle, everything on the hull is sweeping curves whether it makes sense or not, but then we come to a bowsprit that is stark square-sectioned black iron with solid iron bar stays, it's like a section of prison wall bolted to the bow :)

HiVossie,

it is even weirder: the botteloef is not a bowsprit in a normal way. Therefore, next to this botteloef (and its extension 'opsteker'), these ships often had a separate boom as bowsprit.

the botteloef is intended to have the fore sail forward as much as possible, as that improves sailing qualities. (And that is also the reason that some owners had the botteloef extended using such an opsteker: getting the fore sail even further forward. )

Jan

Edited by amateur