Wooden yard question

Will the masts be painted?   If so, for the rings, paper can be used.  If not, still paper but black as think those rings were usually metal.  The pieces in the center, use some scrap wood, thin wood.   Glue into place.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

54 minutes ago, Antonio Vasquez said:

the molded ring at the end of the yard

When I did mine I used some thin wall brass tubing cut to the width of the ring on the spar.  The tubes came as a set that had several different diameters that telescoped into each other so there was usually a suitable size that will fit tight.

1 hour ago, Antonio Vasquez said:

two flat protrusions at the center

Here are two options here.  You can take some hardwood strips of the approximate size, cut to approximate length, glued in place on the face of the spar, and when the glue has set take a fine file and shape as needed. 

I remember that there was someone with a log on WSM (can't remember who offhand) who drilled a few holes through the spar for the ones on both sides of the spar , squared out the holes and slipped a strip of hardwood of the appropriate size thru the squared out holes.  After the glue set he filed the protruding ends of the wood strip to the shape needed.  For the ones near the center, just don't drill all the way through. 

I would definitely recommend the use of maple or birch in either case.  Hope one of these methods works for you as well as it did for me.;)

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

46 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Will the masts be painted?   If so, for the rings, paper can be used.  If not, still paper but black as think those rings were usually metal.  The pieces in the center, use some scrap wood, thin wood.   Glue into place.

Yes they will be painted,  i’m currently waiting for some primer to come in the mail ,  i’m not sure I understand how to make the rings out of paper.

Antonio

FWIW the sling cleats in the center don't look quite right and I doubt very much that there would be the partial ring shown on the kit yard to attach to the mast.  The yards would likely use parrels and or some type of sling.  The cleats at the end of the yard should hold up well with just gluing them on with carpenter's glue, no need to make a slot.  There are Connie experts on this forum and can probably share more details with you.  Be sure to rig the various buntline blocks, lift blocks, brace pendants, etc. to the yard before putting the yards to the masts. It is much easier to seize these to the yards while off the model.

Good luck on your build!!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

There is a fitting that looks something like this on every yard:

841353151_Yardyoke.thumb.jpg.c237cbc3f7166774b1f89dd0a6827aba.jpg

This fitting both helps secure the yard to the mast an allows it to stand off the mast a bit.

The surface that bears against the mast is leathered.

I will look to see if I have any pictures of the yards to show the details of the yoke and cleats.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

When I made those fittings for the yards that Henry shows I used strips of basswood that I filed the shapes into, then cut them to length and just glued them to the yards with some spots of medium CA in between areas of wood glue. Some final filing after the glue dried and they were fine.

I've got some pictures to show you of the Constitutions topsail, topgallant, and royal yards.  Hopefully you can see the fittings for the yoke and parrel arrangement.  Also shown are the yardarm cleats and fittings for the outer studdingsail boom irons, as well as the sheaves for the sheets.  The horses and stirrups are attached to the yards.  At the center of the yards you can see the additional wood padding out the center section with the halliard blocks.  There are no quarter cleats on the front of the yards.  On the top mast yard, in addition to the iron jackstays there seems to be another rope one.  Not sure what the purpose for this rope stay is.  Perhaps it is for use as a man rope or hand hold for working aloft.  This is the only sail that currently gets set on the ship.  Also seen in the center section of the topsail yard is the net-like bunt gasket.  Hanging from underneath the yards are additional blocks with their rose lashings above.

I hope you find these useful.

Regards,

DSC_0631.thumb.JPG.a4a7cad398adf06d44373db3fb443b35.JPGDSC_0635.thumb.JPG.0b942266e0903ea35ac08a9ae1def5c5.JPGDSC_0636.thumb.JPG.3b8237ba98ba182cb213dac721104e47.JPGDSC_0643.thumb.JPG.49a277f015dc0cea8d5172b2e9602e55.JPGDSC_0637.thumb.JPG.96bac25f9a5a82e8e7ee28ffc89b5e8b.JPGDSC_0641.thumb.JPG.8ad722335b90fa9b23bce26e7b9f543c.JPGDSC_0644.thumb.JPG.e676ef0b8828c03d166e4d744ac5aaea.JPGDSC_0634.thumb.JPG.9376dca98d2c146dbd2e8da23f2d3bac.JPGDSC_0640.thumb.JPG.af98262b01b7b7fd8b7397499b05c81a.JPGDSC_0646.thumb.JPG.5da1e760bb89c8fcc7d257c78710d48f.JPGDSC_0647.thumb.JPG.62f4d46b8fbce2112fda08199d12da87.JPGDSC_0639.thumb.JPG.0de321c9ea15635030a0c0cf5eed9e84.JPG

DSC_0632.JPG

DSC_0642.JPG

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

• 2 months later...

Very nice woodwork Woodeater, those spars are very well executed.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)