Queen Anne Royal Barge Circa 1704 by MikeB4 - Syren - 1:24

It has been a couple of years since my last log but now that I am settled in my new place it's time to start a new project.

Royal Plans.jpg

Edited by MikeB4

Thank You. You've created a kit that is very high quality. That is why I've decided to take on this project first before some of the other kits I have of lesser quality. I know there are going to be some challenges but it will not be because the kit falls short.

The instructions say to taper the four pieces that will make up the keel before they are glued. Would it be easier to taper them after they're glued together as one piece?

Its up to you....Whatever you are more comfortable with.   I tapered them ahead of time but then touched up the entire assembly afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a solution to the problem of the keel being bowed out of the box. I created a jig and decided to put the entire keel together before tapering it down. This way I can center the notched pieces with ease. I'm hoping once I start attaching the frames that will resolve the bowing.

Keel Jig 1.jpg

Keel Jig 2.jpg

After the glue dried I noticed the notched center piece was not on the keel straight. I had to carefully remove it and redo it. In the picture you can see how bowed the keel is. I hope that the frames will straighten it out.

Keel center.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 weeks later...

I am moving along slowly. I have completed the task of installing the frames and putting the keel on. Frames2.thumb.jpg.c9a87a643f54a4d001607a48dda01025.jpg

I broke a couple of frames in the process. Nothing I couldn't fix.Frames3.thumb.jpg.1f92a9a380f6b794439f8251381ef0cc.jpg

I used a hair dryer to heat up the keel so I could straighten it out. I got it pretty good.

Frames1.jpg

Frames4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if it's possible to complete this model in the next ten weeks, but I'm going to enter it in the 37th Annual Joint Club Ship Model Conference. The pressure is on. 

Awesome Mike.  I cant wait to see it.  I will be there as usual and look forward to it every year.  But dont rush it

The only corner I may have to cut is the carving of the ornaments. I can probably carve them in the future and add them to the boat. For now I'll use the resin castings.

Edited by MikeB4

• 2 weeks later...

I got the first level planking done on both sides. There where a few unexpected challenges but I'm moving along. I have seven weeks left before the Connecticut show. even if I don't make the dead line completely I will bring the model to the show as is, unless I meet with a complete disaster before hand.

first level planking.jpg

I'm moving along, I have completed the planking. I'll need to do some sanding of course but now I have a stable structure. I have six weeks left before the show.

Plank #7.jpg

Plank #3.jpg

Plank #6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the cap rail installed and sanded down. Not a perfect job by any means. I took a little to much off on the forward starboard side. I don't think it's a deal breaker but I wish I could do it over again. It's a learning experience to say the least. I only have 23 days left before the model show. I will need to work on it everyday until the show.

cap rail.jpg

Edited by MikeB4

• 3 weeks later...

I completed the task of inserting the nails (fishing line). Unfortunately I'm not going to have this model anywhere near presentable for the model show on Saturday. I regret not starting this model last year maybe around June. That might of given me enough time to complete it. With that said, overall I'm pleased with the build up to this point.

nails.jpg

nails (2).jpg

It looks very good so far.  No need to rush it.   It will get finished eventually.   I will see you saturday.   I am bringing my barge  to display.....

Thank you. My next build is going to be the Mayflower. On Saturday I want to buy all the rigging and blocks from you to replace the supplies given in the kit. What did you use for pedestals and are both the same height rather that off set?

Oh jeez I really dont remember.  Model Expo provided a pair of pedestals and I just used them.  I cant remember what size they were.   I will have plenty of blocks and rope though.

Chuck

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's summertime and it's hard to stay in the house to build models. Since it's extremely hot out I found some time to stay in the cool house and continue my build. It's slowly coming along.

fore panels.jpg