HMS Bellona 1760 by SJSoane - Scale 1:64 - English 74 gun, as designed

Hi everyone,

And here are the drawings I created from the Admiralty draughts of HMS Dragon, The Bellona's sister ship (the NMM could not find the Bellona drawings when I ordered these back in the 1990s; I don't know if they ever turned up).

The xerox copies showed that the original 250 year old drawings were quite distorted and therefore not able to be built from. Also I did not know how I would ever fit a 1/4" scale model of a 74 in my house. So I drew these at 3/16", or 1:64. The Admiralty drawings were very schematic, and so I had to develop all of the details from other standard sources.

Mark  

Good morning, Mark. Question. Floor timbers on models end with this line drawing of the ship. What is this line - deadwood? Sincerely Vitaly. Kopiyapost_9846084_22218665.jpg

Vitaly: That is the stepping line, where the half-frames and cant frame heels rest on the deadwood. It is a shallow ledge, the deadwood continuing upward inside the ship.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Stepping line is a zig-zag one (like steps) and was used earlier. In the late 18th century a continuous curved line replaced it - the bearding line.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 2 months later...

Hi Vitaly,

Many apologies for not seeing your questions. Work and personal circumstances have taken me entirely away from the shop and website for some time. Thank you druxey, for answering these questions in my absence!

I will be retiring in one year, at which time I plan to take up the Bellona again with a lot more time available!

Best wishes,

Mark

We all look forward to having you back at the real work, Mark.

Ed

• 5 months later...

Thanks, Mark and Grant. My wife asked me if we would ever see this when the model is done. I explained that the modelmaker of the original 1760 Bellona model is likely looking over my shoulder, making sure I keep standards up...

Guy, it is probably late for me at this point. I lofted all of the frames back in the 90s before I started using CAD. And the details are now half a lifetime of research based on dozens of sources. It would be interesting to see someone else's reconstruction of the ship. Are the drawings published anywhere?

I am taking a break from the hull for a short time, while I sort out the Byrnes ropewalk and set up a rigging table based on Steel. I have posted a few questions over in Tools and in Rigging. I thought it better to keep these off the build log.

Best wishes,

Mark

A little late but do not think so. a contact for the Rope would be Don Dressel  member SMA

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I am finally retiring in 5 weeks, and moving to Montana a thousand miles from an ocean, but a few hundred feet from a lake. Hope to have a shop set up in the next few months, and starting again on the Bellona. All my tools have been packed away for moving, and dust has definitely collected on the hull...

Mark

You will return and continue Bellona, Mark? Be still, my beating heart!

Looking forward to the next instalment. In the meantime, wishing you a safe and hassle-free move.

• 3 weeks later...

Moving isn't a fun project but the results can be.  Take your time to move and get set up.  I too will be looking forward to your new shipyard and more progress.  And welcome to the fun world of retirement.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks, Mark, for the encouragement.Last day of work before retirement is June 27. I can only imagine what it is like to get up in the morning and look forward to going into the shop every day. But lots to do between now and then!

Mark

10 hours ago, SJSoane said:

Thanks, Mark, for the encouragement.Last day of work before retirement is June 27. I can only imagine what it is like to get up in the morning and look forward to going into the shop every day. But lots to do between now and then!

Mark

:P I keep wondering what that would be like myself... I am retired.  :P   Seriously, retirement is great.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

30 November 2018... and counting.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Hi Mark, I just heard from a retired friend knowing that he doesn't have to do anything, and by the end of the day it is only half done.😀

Alan, the final 1 ½ years go by way more quickly than I would ever have imagined. You are practically there!

Aviaamator, thanks for the comments. I hope it will not be many more months before I have a shop and continuing where I left off on the Bellona. I have been re-reading my earlier postings, to get me in the right mood for starting up again.

Best wishes,

Mark

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

Moving and retiring at the same time took longer, and was more stressful, than I expected. The retiring is great, the moving not so much fun.

My new shop is smaller than the previous one, so I had to organize tools as efficiently as possible. Most of the major ones are now on the wall, and I have knee space at last at the power tools.

Here are a couple of images. I hope to get back to the Bellona soon!

Best wishes,

Mark

IMG_6362.jpg

IMG_6363.jpg

Welcome back, Mark.  I look forward to the renewal of your postings.  Nice, well organized shop.  This level of order and neatness would probably blow all my fuses.  All the best in your retirement and the resumption of Bellona.

Ed

How long will it stay that neat I wonder?

Do you have a gating system for your extraction pipes?

Great working area

Finished builds are 

1/35 Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

1/36 scratch built Philadelphia Gunboat from the Smithsonian Plans

Current build is

Scratch build Boudroit's Monograph for La Jacinthe at 1/36

Hi Ed, I think this level of order was only going to happen one time, when I retired and moved. We will see how long it stays this orderly...

Here are a couple of closeups of the wall hanging system, and also the dust collectors. Noel, each has a gate, and all the tools are plugged into a surge protector which is plugged into the Fein dust collector seen under the bench. So any tool turned on and off automatically turns on and off the Fein.

Best wishes,

Mark

IMG_6366.jpg

IMG_6367.jpg

IMG_6364.jpg

IMG_6365.jpg

It may be smaller for you, Mark, but it looks like Nirvana to me, especially with a Fein dust collection system! Anyway, welcome back and looking forward to progress reports from you.

Welcome back, Mark.  Just add me to the envious observer list.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I was very happy with my own progress, until now.  At my age I though I was over being jealous of anything!

Your organization of the wall storage of the tools speaks volumes about your mind and why your model is such a wonderful example of workmanship.

Jeez....now I'm gonna haf ta rethink my whole shop..... Ed my fuse is already blown.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi druxey, Mark and Michael,

It is nice to be getting closer to starting up again. Finishing up my career, retiring and moving really left the Bellona on hold for well over a year.

During the down time, I was given a copy of the book "Virtuoso: The Tool Cabinet and Workbench of Henry O. Studley" (link below has some good images of his tool cabinet):

https://lostartpress.com/products/virtuoso

This inspired me to rethink my own tool storage, but my efforts are pretty crude next to Studley's tool cabinet. His defies description.

Organizing the tools was also a great way of procrastinating, before tackling my gun casting challenges again.

Best wishes,

Mark