Sultana by andreank – Model Shipways – Scale 1:64 – Solid Hull – First Model Ship

Hi All,

My name is Andrea and I have finally started my journey to build the Sultana! 

IMG_4929.thumb.jpeg.0d0b1bc2d9acece3082bef4d9a825c1a.jpeg

This is my current workstation. I know it is a bit messy; I am moving in 3 weeks so this is as good as it will get for now. I built the (crooked) happy hour sign that is above my desk. It brought me a lot of joy and satisfaction to complete a project and I am hoping to find that in this ship build as well. 

I've always been somewhat crafty, but I am worried that I may have underestimated the amount of experience needed to build one of these models. The Sultana is supposed to be a beginners build, but even with Chuck's practicum, I am already very lost. I've been looking at other logs of Sultana builds and it seems like even the beginners have it figured out. I got to page 5 of 70+ pages and I am already frustrated. 

To draw the centerline, do I just eye it to the best of my ability? 

IMG_4930.thumb.jpeg.046a2f6b58989f0adeb0a073ed18223b.jpegIMG_4931.thumb.jpeg.9eb06e34d8ff2a95533a6b67ee3b7b39.jpeg

Above you can see how the template fits the stern of my hull. It seems to fit a lot better than Chuck's did. I'm not really sure what steps to take to make this fit better. Do I need to sand it down or do I need wood filler to fill in the gap? 

Thank you in advanced for your patience. I think this is going to be a very long and slow build. If anyone would like to join me on this journey, I would be very grateful. 

Best,

Andrea

What tools are you using? Some aggressive files or rasps are good for removing most of the waste. You should also check out the new build log from Mr. Bluejacket himself of Red Jacket. He just started a few days ago and is busy carving down a much bigger hull than you have, and it would be a very good idea to ask him the exact process he follows while doing so.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:16 PM, andreank said:

To draw the centerline, do I just eye it to the best of my ability? 

IMG_4930.thumb.jpeg.046a2f6b58989f0adeb0a073ed18223b.jpegIMG_4931.thumb.jpeg.9eb06e34d8ff2a95533a6b67ee3b7b39.jpeg

No, unless you have a very very good eye.  If you fudge the measurements you will end up with errors that will compound later.  Get a cheapie set of calipers from Harbor Freight and a ruler.  That will get you started.

SMA meeting is next Tuesday.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

@vossiewulf I have mostly been using sand paper. Ill try some files. I had glanced at Patrick's build but was intimidated by his set up and knowledge. I think I have a bit more understanding of what the first steps are, so I will definitely reference it. Thanks for the recommendation! 

@Chuck Seiler Good to know! I will get a set of calipers asap. Luckily, I dont think I am far enough along to have messed anything up too badly yet. Thank you! 

Get some files, and you're going to need wood carving gouges to thin out the gunwales, generally that is done by cutting straight down with a shallow-curve gouge. Same gouges would be helpful carving down the hull also. If you want to be successful you'll need to invest in at least some of the tools you see people using here- ship modeling can be accessible or it can be extremely difficult depending on what tools you have.

Below are some pics of my SULTANA.  I don't want to hijack your blog, but I wanted to show how nice the SULTANA looks when completed.

SULTANA.thumb.JPG.0ec7ab6e30fc8c5447c0539cad2d95f9.JPG

SULTANA1.thumb.JPG.c4ba347c01128a3c7e4a090f089908ad.JPG

The model is solid/unplanked below the wale.  Planked above the wale. 

I got to the point of rigging, decided I didn't like my shrouds and nevermanaged to finish. :angry:

Edited by Chuck Seiler

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

It is.  Not my model but the SULTANA model in general.  I really like the lines.  On top of that, it is relatively simple, but has enough challenge to keep you on your toes.  For me, the scale is not too big/not too small.  It has just enough rigging to allow you to learn the ropes (so to speak) but not overly complicated.  It reminds me I need to scrap that existing standing rigging and give it another shot.

Andrea.  I think you are really going to enjoy the adventure.  I hope I have provided some inspiration. :cheers:

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

4 minutes ago, Chuck Seiler said:

It is.  Not my model but the SULTANA model in general.  I really like the lines.  On top of that, it is relatively simple, but has enough challenge to keep you on your toes.  For me, the scale is not too big/not too small.  It has just enough rigging to allow you to learn the ropes (so to speak) but not overly complicated.  It reminds me I need to scrap that existing standing rigging and give it another shot.

Andrea.  I think you are really going to enjoy the adventure.  I hope I have provided some inspiration. :cheers:

Chuck you model is BEAUTIFUL! I can't even fathom creating something so amazing. I hope I make it that far! 

-A

Thank you.

Patience. Don't be afraid to unglue something or rework it to make it better.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...

Hi Anreak

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:32 PM, andreank said:

@vossiewulf I have mostly been using sand paper. Ill try some files. I had glanced at Patrick's build but was intimidated by his set up and knowledge. I think I have a bit more understanding of what the first steps are, so I will definitely reference it. Thanks for the recommendation! 

@Chuck Seiler Good to know! I will get a set of calipers asap. Luckily, I dont think I am far enough along to have messed anything up too badly yet. Thank you! 

Gotta tell you...being referred to as knowledgeable was a shock!  The Sultana is my first wooden model ship.  If my model looks good so far, it's because I've got some great shipmates on this site, and a ship club I visit once a month which helps me be 'brave'.  My Sultana is a patchwork of corrected mistakes!  Mistakes are the best teacher...and so my, what little knowledge I have is from screwing up!  LOL  Rigging scares the bejeezuz out of me!  I'm following Chuck Passarro's practicum (I hope you have it...if not, I can point you to where to download it) for the most part, and simply having fun. 

Between you and me...sanding and shaping the hull was the most challenging.  I inhaled half the ship! 

Hope you continue with your build!!!

Pat

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Overworked724 said:

Hi Anreak

Gotta tell you...being referred to as knowledgeable was a shock!  The Sultana is my first wooden model ship.  If my model looks good so far, it's because I've got some great shipmates on this site, and a ship club I visit once a month which helps me be 'brave'.  My Sultana is a patchwork of corrected mistakes!  Mistakes are the best teacher...and so my, what little knowledge I have is from screwing up!  LOL  Rigging scares the bejeezuz out of me!  I'm following Chuck Passarro's practicum (I hope you have it...if not, I can point you to where to download it) for the most part, and simply having fun. 

Between you and me...sanding and shaping the hull was the most challenging.  I inhaled half the ship! 

Hope you continue with your build!!!

Pat

Hi Pat,

Thanks for responding. Im currently setting up my work station after an apartment move, so I haven't been building. You really seem to know what you are doing more than I do. Even with Chuck's practicum, I often find that I have no idea what the next step is. Apparently "find the centerline" is a lot more than just drawing a line down the center of the hull 🤦‍♀️.

Thanks for the encouragement! I hope to be back to building this week.

-Andrea

OMG...have I got stories on the center line....especially when you need to trace it on the keel!  Good luck moving...and I'm happy to lend any historical experience your way I can send to aid you in your build!

Cheers

Pat

• 2 months later...

Hello NRG Community: Can you help me (as I aim to advise my father on his 8th build) ? He is working on SULTANA (I think from Model Shipways), and asks "How low can the waterline be drawn imagining the ship EMPTY?" He is planning ahead to the painting phase, and sent me some of the schematics. I can see the LWL as FULLY LOADED, but I do not know how might the schooner "sit" in the water when unloaded. If you could email me (Dan) at mathaction@yahoo.com, that would be appreciated. I am not very experienced with the chat thread, although it made for interesting reading & I will tell my father about the NRG website. Thank you for any help, even if to direct me to someone who might know.

Not sure. You could look at the Schooner Sultana education ship and see if they have pics of her without people on it...I know she isn’t hauling much. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have been avoiding my ship because I truly don't understand how to draw a centerline correctly. I've perused the message boards and have not really found any answers. I must me missing something because people seem to slide past this step. Does anyone have tips? I have calipers but I don't understand how to use these to draw it, especially down the keel. 

SOS!!

-A

Part of my delay was moving to a new apartment. This is my new work space! Hoping that once I get over the hull-carving/centerline frustrations, Ill work more consistently. 

IMG_5867.thumb.JPG.f394bc65ea99dda4e1aecb11c0423a11.JPG

The bow fits relatively well right now. A little bit of shaping needs to be done.

IMG_5870.thumb.JPG.3c8f16edca4a30584d084698e9e2f604.JPG

The stern, similar to Chuck's practicum, needs more work. I think Im going to end up needing to use some filler. I'm blindly carving the stern down because I definitely don't have an eye for this (yet). 

IMG_5871.thumb.JPG.9a009856f7332b33042da91bcd2e31d6.JPGI

I really don't want to mess up, but I guess that's the point of a first build. You learn and perfect. I've finally resigned myself to just trying and if I fail, there's always wood filler.

IMG_5869.thumb.JPG.a87809883f0a4ecf7a221f026a37e81c.JPG

-Andrea

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I start working, I realize that another tool would make the process much easier. I wasn't making much progress and so I decided to borrow a Dremel. THIS HAS HELPED SO MUCH but I now realize that my stern may need some filler. Specifically right near the top of the deck. I need to study Chuck's manual a little more to understand how he handled the stern. I think it would be totally possible to shape the stern without any filler, but since I am such a beginner, I think it will be easier to get the exact shape based on the templates and then carve out the 1/16th. 

Hi Andrea

This is where kits with frames (plank on bulkhead) make things easier. Solid hull faring is a bit of a pain. 

Drawing the centerline is part art and part science for a solid hull if you ask me.  I found myself using the templates as I sanded, but you must have the centerline drawn before you start sanding. The templates you use for faring the hull need to be calibrated against the centerline. 

But...if you oversand, wood is forgiving and you can use wood filler....which I used copiously!

I was the same as you...terrified of making a mistake.  Read my blog...paralysis by analysis was my main flaw. So just go for it....make mistakes. It’s half The Fun!

32 minutes ago, andreank said:

@Overworked724 ok I answered one of my own questions. I have discovered the camber template. 🤦‍♀️

Yup...I over sanded on the camber in mine....wood filler for the win. 

9 hours ago, andreank said:

@Overworked724 Do you have any tips for shaping the hull? It's not going well for me and I can't seem to find much detail on how to do it. It seems to be a step that most people finish and move on from. It's important for me to make sure my deck is completely level right? 

Hull shaping tools for me...sandpaper and wood blocks of varying shapes. 

Hobby Lobby or Lowe’s will have large 1” dowels. Cut them an wrap/staple sandpaper around the blocks.  This will give you square as well as rounded sides to shape and contour the lines. 

Do do a little at a time!  This was the hardest part if you ask me. 

@Overworked724 Thank you for all the tips! I went to the store and got some dowels to strengthen the templates. Also starting to make a builder board based off what I saw on some other blogs. I think I have the same issue you had with being to scared of making mistakes. Unfortunately, I think I may have already made one lol.

When setting up my builder board, I went to add in the station lines and I realized that I made a dumb beginner error. There are 2 station lines for 4. When carving down the stern, I merged the two #4 station lines into 1. Welp. Now, I think this can be saved (not easily), specifically if I follow Chuck's method of carving down the stern and adding back wood to create the ledge under the counter. I have to think about it for a bit and decide how to tackle it. I don't think ordering a new hull from MS is the best idea; I doubt I do any better with a new hull. 

IMG_5929.thumb.JPG.fcf63a607be6c45e240f25e7e591f4dc.JPG  

Edited by andreank

• 2 weeks later...

Im still trying to get the stern to work. Nothing seems to be working out. At this point, I havent even made it past the first step and I dont really know what to do.

May be another defunct build over here guys. I definitely understand why most people dont finish their ships.