Sultana by andreank – Model Shipways – Scale 1:64 – Solid Hull – First Model Ship

5 hours ago, andreank said:

Im still trying to get the stern to work. Nothing seems to be working out. At this point, I havent even made it past the first step and I dont really know what to do.

May be another defunct build over here guys. I definitely understand why most people dont finish their ships. 

Well, I can honestly tell you I was there...  It’s possible you are overthinking. I’d recommend you take a step back.  Focus on symmetry instead of accuracy. Shape your hull as you have it...ignore the stern for a while and focus on other areas.  This is actually the hardest part of the build...faring the hull is a marathon of patience.

Solid hulls are a pain pain in the butt...even Chuck mentioned solid hulls are, in many ways, more difficult than plank on frame.  

It’s a frustrating hobby...but you will breath easier once you are past the faring.

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

Andrea,

Just caught your build. I believe your overthinking and are caught in the conundrum of perfection.

Maybe at this point throw the templates to the side and use your minds eye as to shape and form, work the hull free hand comparing to what you see in instructions, to what pics are available.

Your first build with no experience we do not want perfection at this stage we want to enjoy, have some fun, and not get discouraged. (I think about now your thinking trash can do not do it)

I started the HMS Victory, got caught up in shrouds and ratlines using a marked card as a guide (a system almost all used) it was a disaster. I cut out all the ratlines 2 times man they were ugly. The third time I placed the first at the bottom the next line at the quarter and the next at the half then at the top, dividing the ratlines on the shrouds in quarters. Then I free handed with no guide. They turned out perfect each of us can find ways or shortcuts thinking outside the box, I am still an amateur.

Apologize I get on my soapbox and I can hear everyone moaning.

Okay lets have some fun its wood you can't kill it finish shaping. Everyone has ideas about tools. I have thin pockets so shop cheap. You should have a Dremel (personally I like the 8050 micro with the built in battery and separate charger last I checked can be bought for under $ 85.00 USD) its a tough light tool I have abused mine its like the old Timex watch commercial it takes a licking and keeps on ticking (showed my age). Your standard knife and blades, sand paper. A lot of folks make their own tools check that category.

Don't know whats in your tool bag at this time since I just jumped in.

OKAY get started eyeball it, have fun filler can be your friend, do not get discouraged. If it's too much at this time

make it take a nap for now and purchase a small beginner plank on frame.

Many builders have several mothballed builds that did not start good and finished later. Enough of my drivel as you know there is a lot of help here GOOD LUCK.

Edited by John Allen
spelling

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Completely agree with John. He basically summarized what I ended up doing. It’s at the point I gave up on perfection and stopped being afraid of progress (even in the face of imperfect results) that I really got hooked!  

Just go for it. Wood filler is my favorite tool. 😂 

• 3 weeks later...

Still here! Ive been out of town but finally got back to working this weekend. I do have to take quite a few breaks to let the filler dry, so progress is slow. I definitely have been reminding myself that it does not need to be perfect. I started building back up the part that I over-carved and I was pleasantly surprised that it worked really well! I still wasnt happy with the shape of the stern, gave one more stab at it, and it came out so much better than I had hoped. I still have the add back 1/16th of an inch to create the shelf. Planning on doing that tonight. 

I know that pictures are much more interesting, so I will add some tonight. 

Really excited about this progress but know that I still have a lot of shaping to do! 

2 minutes ago, andreank said:

I started building back up the part that I over-carved and I was pleasantly surprised that it worked really well!

Great news, Andrea!  To be honest, if You read my blog you will find I over sanded, over carved, and generally made way too many 'mistakes' in my entire build.  They are also your best teachers...you are probably getting the sense of confidence that comes with wood being 'forgiving'.   Wood filler - great stuff that...  :cheers:

Keep up the good fight!!  Watching with interest!