GrandpaPhil

Prince de Neufchatel by GrandpaPhil - 1/72 - from Chapelle Plans - Card

On 12/11/2018 at 9:44 PM, Wallace said:

They say a change is as good as a rest. It will be a pleasure to follow along with this one Phil.  

Mark,

Thank you, much appreciated.

The only drawback to the posterboard is that I am having to double it in order to build up to the 1mm thickness that Ab mentioned in his tutorial.  But, so far so good.

I traced the deck camber from Zu Monfeld and enlarged it to make a template which I transferred to the bulkheads.

I’m currently in the process of doubling the bulkheads below the main deck to gain more area to glue to.

31C0E138-C640-4AE2-A1F9-E3A38F02EA5F.jpeg

Thank you for the information.  I’ll remember that for next time.  There are several ships in his books that I would like to build.  Buying the plans in sheets would be very convenient.

I never actually scanned these, I just traced them and enlarged the tracings.  This has been a highly educational project.  I’ve been learning a lot.

It’s been a lot of fun too, I’ve never built from scratch before.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Quick question, what’s the best way to install a transom on a card model?

Should I just build up the stern frames like any other model, or just glue it to the stern after installing the deck and covering the hull?

Edited by GrandpaPhil

I don't know, but try searching (either here or on the Internet in general) for build logs of Shipyard kits. You might find how they plan for that task. Good luck!

I doubled the forward deck pieces, which should remove the waviness.  I will double the aft deck pieces after I install the forward frames permanently.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Hi Phil

Talk about a ‘challenge’...this has it in spades!  No doubt you’re up to it; especially with the very promising start you’ve made already.

I’ll be following along for support and encouragement.

Have a great Christmas and New Year!

Cheers. 

Patrick

12 hours ago, Wallace said:

I have to take my hat off to you Phil, I am impressed with what you are doing. It looks like it is a very steep learning curve but hey, that's why we do it right?

Thank you!  Much appreciated!

I’ve definitely been learning a lot with this project!  

I’ve answered all of my own questions about rescaling plans and transferring from the books, just by doing it.

10 hours ago, Omega1234 said:

Hi Phil

Talk about a ‘challenge’...this has it in spades!  No doubt you’re up to it; especially with the very promising start you’ve made already.

I’ll be following along for support and encouragement.

Have a great Christmas and New Year!

Cheers. 

Patrick

Patrick,

Thank you and welcome aboard!

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Phil

Due to a minor issue resulting from the  placement of my templates on the poster board and the page split of the plans in the book, I had to cut the deck pieces between bulkheads 1 and 2 and remove about 3/16”.

I have the forward deck pieces and bulkheads permanently installed.  As soon as they finish drying I will pull the aft deck pieces and double them.

4D272CDD-D18D-4681-B7DB-40533BC2E07F.jpeg