Error in kit and asking for advise

Hello all.

I just found out what I think is an error or mistake in my Mamoli Royal Louis.

As you can see in the photo of the plans below, the deadeyes are just in front of the cannons. However, as you can see at the arrows, there are two spaces where supposedly these cannons should be.

498124721_RoyalLouis(1065).JPG.c7e94deefa0409201654a62cecea2c07.JPG

If I move the chain wale 17mm to the left, as in the next photo,

674520451_RoyalLouis(1066).JPG.b47eb1e4585c93f4f1c0151ff8fd070b.JPG

the cannons align correctly with the spaces, but I am afraid that this will change the angle of the shrouds and I don't know what more consequences this may bring.

What would you do?

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

To be honest, in this stage of the build, I would ignore the error.

Had I discovered it earlier, I wouldhave checked the position of the canons. Kitmakers want to overdothenumber ofguns. In the Prins Willemby Corel, thenumber ofguns is almost double theone that the ship actually had.....

The most forward shrould should be almost in line with the mast, taking it far backwards is also an error, wich will attract more attention than the one you want to solve.

Jan

Edited by amateur

Make an entirely new channel with the deadeyes spaced properly to avoid the guns yet still be in its original position.   It should be easy enough to make.  Just trace the channel and make new slots for the deadeye positions.

Chuck

I think Chuck's idea is best. It's easily done and should correct the error entirely.  I disagree that Just leaving it as drawn isn't going to be noticed. Maybe not by an ignorant eye, but you will always know it's there and if you ever show it to a knowledgeable viewer, it's the sort of glaring error that jumps right out and pokes you in the eye. You can't have a ship that's going to shoot out a third of its standing rigging with her first broadside! Shame on Mamoli. This kind of error by an established kit manufacturer is inexcusable in my book, but unfortunately all too frequent.

OK! You guys made me do it.

First I had to re-plank the chain-wales

1310027547_RoyalLouis(1067).JPG.6dcd8ed98f3ab29961df598a1c21c99f.JPG

Next, to the drawing board to mark where the new deadeyes will fit in order to clear the cannons. The short lines mark the 5mm deadeyes and the long lines mark a few 4mm. Had to be careful that the number of deadeyes remains the same.

2078817594_RoyalLouis(1068).JPG.2f0ddaa14b4c12ef0e0672707b8718b1.JPG

Checking the new arrangement against the actual placement in the ship. Everything looks good so far.

1357131867_RoyalLouis(1069).JPG.96bd351a31765bcfb892de8f445fb494.JPG

Making a copy of board and starboard parts.

1574861421_RoyalLouis(1070).JPG.78fdf902087ecce809004f3e8905abdf.JPG

Finished!

262616404_RoyalLouis(1072).JPG.0b7d35ca126399b57fa832d5ed29beb1.JPG

Unfortunately, one of the Futtock strops broke when removing, as they were CA glued to the wood, and to my dismay, they were exactly counted in the kit... not one to spare, so I was lucky to find some replacements at Age of Sails. Now I have to wait for them to arrive. So I'm putting apart the chainwales for the time being, and begin work on yardarms.

Thank you all!!!

1751750311_RoyalLouis(1071).JPG.b30193fe8fbb25512b9a0962bcbcc0e2.JPG

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

who are the people drawing up these kit plans, and how did they get hired? Again and again we see kit plans that are tragically flawed or contain inaccuracies or unworkable arrangements of essential gear, as in this example.  Some of these kits have been around for a very long time and there’s been opportunities, no doubt, to correct the plans. One would think that making adjustments to the plans would be the easiest and least expensive improvement  for a manufacturer to implement mid-production run on a kit? 

Niagara USS Constitution 

1 hour ago, JerseyCity Frankie said:

who are the people drawing up these kit plans, and how did they get hired? 

A Luigi Volonté in this case.

13 minutes ago, fnick said:

Is it worth mentioning this to Daniel Dusek as he is redoing the Royal Louis in not too long? Just in case he hasn't picked up on it.

Can't hurt.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane