New here Just saying hello

BurntToast

Hello All, 

My Name is Mike, I joined this forum because there seems to be a lot of very experienced craftsman here willing to share their talents, and for that, I want to thank you all. I have an extreme amount to learn. A little about me; I'm retired with too much time on my hands,  I have loved boats all my life, and love making things by hand. I have been building my own fishing rods and tying my own flies for years. So I have some experience in micro-construction. My ultimate goal is to build a small cruising dinghy 1:1 scale I can use, but I figured it might be a good idea to model several different types to see which style I am most comfortable with before I spring for the lumber to learn the ins and outs of boat building so to speak. The only modeling I have done is a scratch build of a Woodie Hindman 16Ft double ender Rouge River drift boat. It was fun but by no means as good as the examples I have seen here.  If anyone could point me in the right direction for building models of sailing skiffs I would appreciate it.  At present I'm drawn to sailing skiffs in the 12 to 16ft range. something along the lines of a Goat Island Skiff, or a Welsford Navigator. Thanks in advance.

Mike aka "Burnt Toast"

20181220_190952.jpg

20181220_191024.jpg

Great little model there! Being originally from Northern California (the REAL Northern California 😉 ), I frequently saw drift boats in action. Back-trolling from a drift boat is a particularly effective way to fish for salmon and steelhead. I only ever fished from shore and could only look on with a bit of envy.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Mike:

Welcome to MSW.

Check out the plans that Wooden Boat Magazine sells for full size boats of the type you are thinking of for your full size build.  Scale down the measurements to a scale you might be comfortable with (my personal recommendation would be 1/12 scale) and where you can actually build the model just like the real boat.  A big savings in materials and time.

Again, Welcome to MSW.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Hello Mike, welcome to the best site on the web in my humble opinion for sharing and learning about model ships and boats. I rather like the smaller craft like the one you have built. 

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Mike.  

Welcome to MSW.   That's the first time I've seen a model of one of those. I see them on Rogue here in Medford a lot and they just seem to be the peaceful way to fish... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:722972270:

Nice model

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks for all the nice and welcoming responses. Kurt your suggestion is spot on I think I will give it a try.  Mr.Taylor its a small world l lived in Medford for a short time. Its the first time I ever saw those drift boats also. Mr. Mott, I am honored you would take a look at my little mess. I just lost two hours reading through your Herreshoff Build log, man I got a lot to learn you sir are an artist. Thanks again to all I look forward to being a part of this site.

Mike