Smit Rotterdam by Sjors - Billing Boats - 1:75 - Sea tug

She is starting to look really nice. Sleek. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Thank you all.

I place the truster housing.....

That thing that goes around the propellors 🙂

The propellors are dry fit so when I have placed the rudders ,maybe I can start with the paint job....or not.

We will see!

Sjors

S2340009.thumb.jpg.f208f8c73653679fe0c932f6e3fe55f8.jpg

S2340010.thumb.jpg.a81ba96fc63f13e83a7c03f1ab3938c1.jpg

she's coming along quit nicely Sjors............but what can you expect from your third......fourth ........or even fifth time around  :)  :D    copper or black for me on the props.   don't think they are like aircraft,  and have yellow tips  {I know.........just funn'in}.   super nice job!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Sjors!

Nice looking boat you're building!

I noticed you referenced me the other day, asking about the colours of the propellors and I was thinking of the best way to respond.... then I remembered my profile picture, and figured that it would make a good example for you. The famous picture of me standing in the Kort nozzle. That prop is a typical manganese-bronze alloy prop after a few years work.

Then I also remembered that I had another dry dock picture of another ship with a prop of a different metal alloy. I can't remember offhand what the metal was (not stainless steel though), but it's also been through five or six years of work since its last polishing.

Hope this helps!

Andy

IMG_2374.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Quite a challenge for you Sjors, pictured as a model in working condition or as new.

Great progress, my friend.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

Done something more......

It looks dusty and it is dusty.

When everything is on it I will re-paint everything again.

I believe it's more painting then building!

But ok, it will do.

I have make the rubbing strikes.....towing support en an other few things that you don't see.......

Sjors

194664233_Towingsupport.thumb.jpg.89d74213c2acad2c9e7a5b22afc46a04.jpg

1290931532_Rubbingstrakes.thumb.jpg.4c40d39107f5d79574b16731d7a19f0c.jpg

69126471_Rubbingstrakes2.thumb.jpg.c4c959ce70926e298640ec6f6ba41c85.jpg

rudders.thumb.jpg.943f345ce77baa3afe3ee5bd519aaf42.jpg

Edited by Sjors

An interesting build Sjors. She is coming along nicely.

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

Thanks Caroline 🙂

long time no see.

Everything allright with you?

I build something else for a while before i go back to the shrouds and ratlines 

Also thanks for the likes!

Sjors

hope your feeling better my friend, and you build looks fantastic

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Nice progress Sjors.  A little grey around the gills my friend?  Hope you feel better soon.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Sigh.....Late to the party as usual! Squeezing in the corner with Carl. 

You have come a long way in a short time , she looks great!

Two things:

1 you need a miniature Sjors and Andy in the prop housings.

2 Make sure you get a motion detector, and maybe some laser guided munitions to keep this one safe.

Feel better my friend.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Hello Sorjs.

I built this model nearly 30 years ago and I still have the finished model. It is interesting to see how Billings have value engineered the kit over the years. When I built the kit nearly all the hull was planked - none of the large flat plywood panel sections you have had to deal with. As a consequence of the planking solution the hull profile was much less angular than yours. It is a pity that in the pursuit of profits manufacturers are inclined to cut corners on even the less expensive materials. I cant believe that the cost of a hundred of so obechi planks rather than ply would have made the kit uneconomic. 

I hope you health is improving.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 2 months later...

Sjors my friend!   So glad to see you here!  I was away from my Victory for about four years but have just returned to it with a vengeance lately.  I've looked at your Aggie and she's fantastic!  Well done! Now looking at this latest build of yours.  Very, very good as always.  I've missed you and your constant encouragement!   Hope you feel better and will be back at the work bench soon!

Patrick

• 1 year later...

Sjors where are you?

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Sjors said:

I’m here Kevin.....

Building is very low at the moment but i’m still alive.

Sjors

lovely to know, hows Anja?

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

1 hour ago, Sjors said:

Anja is smiling next to me 😀

Congrats with your moderators promotion.

You like it?

Sjors

i must have been a good boy, but yes, i am going to enjoy it, 

it  is nice to be back to a wooden kit, after a year on the trawler, lol i even have two builds on the go at the same time, just as well im retired to get them done, hope to chat again soon

hope you both keep well and stay safe

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Nice to hear that both you and Anja are doing well Sjors. Would be great to see you back building again too.😊

6 hours ago, gjdale said:

Nice to hear that both you and Anja are doing well Sjors. Would be great to see you back building again too.😊

I’m still building Grant.

Only slow....

Anja is saying hello.

You both doing well also?

Sjors

Coming along nicely.

hope you stacks are not fitted permanently, you put them back-to-front....

I found getting the right colours a bit problematic (as did the paint shop who helped me ....)

I noticed that you painted the upper decks blue. Never realized that they were not always green. (I did them green, as per the billings instructions)

Jan

Hai Jan,

Thanks for the comment.

I  think you mean those round things at the stern?

I had the same feeling but this is what they told me to do on the manuel.

I see the Smit Rotterdam a few times in real in Schiedam but not the bottom 😀

And there i see the Upper decks are blue so i did do the same.

Sjors

That’s some really nice progress there Sjors. I think Jan may have been referring to the funnels.

As for paint scheme, I always reckon it’s “Captain’s Choice” - so whatever colour Anja wants is the right colour!😉

Oh - and tell Anja that I’m still using her (and your) little gift from our visit to Victory all those years ago. 😊

53 minutes ago, gjdale said:

That’s some really nice progress there Sjors. I think Jan may have been referring to the funnels.

As for paint scheme, I always reckon it’s “Captain’s Choice” - so whatever colour Anja wants is the right colour!😉

Oh - and tell Anja that I’m still using her (and your) little gift from our visit to Victory all those years ago. 😊

Thanks Grant,

The funnels where dry fit.

I have to remove them for making the railing .

I just put them there for the picture....and yes, wrong!

Thanks Jan 😃👍

And Grant,

Anja ask if the mug still drinks as it should be 😄

You have him about 6 years?

Sjors