Best glue for paper templates?

I use rubber cement.  Just don't leave it on for months though. I've also used tracing paper and printer paper equally well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have used a spray-on (pressure pak) 'temporary' fix glue from 3M and another company in the past with some success - can't remember the brand name of the other but available in art supply stores.   :)  Only issue was that sometimes the edge of the paper would lift when cutting on the saw (especially with the scroll saw) which I think was due to the offset teeth of the blades I was using.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I use glue sticks (Elmer's, Scotch, etc) 80 percent of the time. Inexpensive, clean and I've never had a glue-up problem with them...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

I second glue sticks. I used to use rubber cement, but it always dried out between boats and is messy to use anyway and it is expensive. Glue sticks are cheap, work very well and there's no wait time between applying the template and cutting the wood. I'd never go back to rubber cement.

Is there a 'best'?  Maybe.  I've used -

1. 3M SprayMount (low tack) and 3M Super 77 (high tack), and Weldon Contact Cement.  All of these can be removed with spirits of naptha.  residues can be a problem

2. rub-on glue sticks, ok but only for items where I didn't worry about removal

3. Elmer's glue - water removes it but can stain

4. Shellac - a traditional adhesive that can be removed with denatured alcohol, and should not interfere with finishes

5.  hot hide glue (not Franklin!) - hot water / steam soluble and does not interfere with finishes

Bob,  for removing hide glue, try ethyl alcohol - the rubbing alcohol in pharmacies - not the isopropyl.

Heat and ethanol denatures the protein - changes its shape and no longer bonds.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

On 12/29/2018 at 12:36 PM, Jaager said:

Bob,  for removing hide glue, try ethyl alcohol - the rubbing alcohol in pharmacies - not the isopropyl.

Heat and ethanol denatures the protein - changes its shape and no longer bonds.

Denatured alcohol is ethyl alcohol mixed with methanol (and possibly other  noxious substances) added to make it poisonous.  The proportions vary from 30-60% either way.  Pure ethyl alcohol is consumable and taxable and hence much more expensive.   

Hide glue will also denature and release with steaming water alone, but that might cause problems with warping.

I forget what is in rubbing alcohol - ethyl - to get it past the federal tax, iso is poison all by itself  -- anyway, I was trying to unbond wood that was joined using Franklin Hide Glue.  A heat gun and 70% ethyl rubbing alcohol did the job - I was too OCD in my glue coverage and the wood was sort of thick - and it took too much heat to get deep into the bonded layer and the Maple was almost charring on the surface, so I had to find another way to do what I was after.  But - a surface bond with a paper pattern has no problem with access - and the heat and 70% ethyl not only broke the bond, the glue formed into little beads that easily rubbed off and the wood grain should not swell as much as using just water.  I did not take notes, but I seem to remember that 91% Iso was not as reactive with the glue protein.  It might do and that would solve any swelling problem.

The paint thinner ethyl alcohol is 95% with a touch of methanol, etc.   Ethanol has an attraction to water that makes it impossible to have 100% if it is exposed to water vapor in the air it is in.  I think the pharmacy alcohol is less expensive than the paint store stuff.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

20 hours ago, Jaager said:

I forget what is in rubbing alcohol - ethyl - to get it past the federal tax, iso is poison all by itself  -- anyway, I was trying to unbond wood that was joined using Franklin Hide Glue. ....

In my opinion, Franklin Hide glue is the work of the devil.  The shrinkage is very high, and the additives that keep it liquid at room temperature (possibly urea) seem to ruin it.  I never use it.  I make up Behlens Hide Glue and store it frozen in ice cube trays,  and apply it hot at 145F.   Another brand called Old Brown Glue is said to have good properties and is warmed in hot water, but I've never used it.  

The alcohols that are commonly available are methanol (1 carbon), ethanol (2 carbons) and isopropyl (3 carbons).   Rubbing alcohol is isopropyl alcohol mixed with water,  and a 70% solution is used for medical purposes because it is most effective for killing bacteria, where as weaker or stronger are not.  Ethanol is the best solvent for shellac, although both methanol and isopropyl will have some effect.

Incidentally, I've found that alcohol-based Purell hand sanitizer is excellent for removing pitch from saw blades.