leehound

Mayflower by Leehound - Model Shipways

I tried ship modeling about 25 years ago. I didn't get too far in that "Harvey" kit, too many distractions. The kit was eventually damaged by water.

With fewer distractions in my life, I am ready to try this again. So I am starting out as a total newb.

The first thing I set out to do was setup an area to work in. Luckily I have an unused room on my house that I can devote to this.

post-3770-0-31497500-1367275763_thumb.jpg

Mayflower Kit and contents:

post-3770-0-79198100-1367275932_thumb.jpg

post-3770-0-60270800-1367275933_thumb.jpg

All the parts appeared to be there and I removed the bulkhead parts and the keel.

First adding the rabbit strip and tapering to the bearding line.

The next step was to fit the bulkheads to the false keel. And that is where this kit started to disappoint me. All the slots in the bulkheads and the false keel where all undersize. Those parts were not going to go together without a lot of extra work. All the slots had to be enlarged. I wouldn't think that these laser cut parts would have that problem. Maybe the wood has expanded? I don't know. But after shaving the sides of each slot and filing, I was able to get all the bulkheads glued in.

I did notice afterwards that the false keel has a slight bow in it. I am hoping that I can glue it straight when I put in the gun port frame.

post-3770-0-77873700-1367278055_thumb.jpg

Thanks for watching.

Scott Leland

Adrieke likes this

A very nice start Scott.  Let me know if you have any questions.  I have plenty of photos of the POB prototype.

Here is a larger one all planked up.  If you need a better pic of any of the hull construction let me know.

conversionfinished.gif

Chuck

I appreciate your response. It is pretty amazing to be able to get help from the designer of the kit!

Thanks

I want to say hello Scott and ask how your doing with your mayflower and if you are planning any updates? I also am building the same Mayflower and would be glad to share construction ideas with you. I wish you well with your Mayflower,Rick.

scot using balsa blocks between the bulkheads is another way to straighten up the keel