Intro and Question

Hi guys,

I am a newby who just retired and decided to build a few ships to take up my time. 

I am interested in building model wooden ships used as slave transports from 1600 thru 1880. But I have not been able to find any such model ship kits. Below are a list of ship names that I researched:

Henrietta Marie (Slave)

Clotilda (Slave)

Dos Amigos (1830)

Meermin (Slave) 1759

Wanderer (Slave) 1850

Brookes (Slave) 1781

Lord Ligonier 1765 (Slave)

La Amistad (Slave)

São José Paquete Africa (Slave)

Whydah Gally (slave)

Does anyone know where I can purchase kits for any of the aboved listed ships?

Hi Bill

You can download the thesis on slavers by Jessica Glickman and there is a lot of information, including a large bibliography that might lead you to appropriate plans of a slaver.  https://digitalcommons.uri.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=&httpsredir=1&article=1668&context=theses

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Bill.   Welcome to MSW.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

There is a replica Amistad

The site says:

The modern Amistad is not an exact replica of the original La Amistad. The designers of Freedom Schooner Amistad, Tri-Coastal Marine, of Richmond California, used modern computer technology to recreate a new vessel, following the general plan of “Baltimore Clippers”, ships unique for the period both in design and proportion. 

The Dos Amigos.kit from Occre mentioned by ccoyle is a good start.

If Googling or other research does not produce any definitive results,  there would not be anyone to rightly criticize a named model, claiming to represent the "type" of ship. 

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon