"Revellution" funny car by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Revell - 1:16

I was browsing around looking for pictures...........also checking out color charts.   I found this picture.......I wonder what the scale is on these models.

1120421958_fordcolors.jpg.8bc446dd95814d9ae8255ee2c346cf71.jpg

these are Ford proto type models........my guess is either 1:16 or 1:8..........can you imagine building this many models!  mind boggling!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

22 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I was browsing around looking for pictures...........also checking out color charts.   I found this picture.......I wonder what the scale is on these models. 

I once bought a promo model for the new 1966 Mustang Fastback from the local Ford Dealer. It was 1:12 scale. Had working headlights/tail lights, too.

That was one of those models I should have held onto. Before that, I had a 1:8 scale model of a Jaguar, pre-XKE. Everything worked on that model and included a removable engine. That was another keeper, but I was too young to know I should save it.

Edited by CDW

I wish I still had my 1:1 scale '68 Dodge Charger in dark metallic blue.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

41 minutes ago, Canute said:

I wish I still had my 1:1 scale '68 Dodge Charger in dark metallic blue.

I think that's a wish most of us can plug into, though mine would be '65 GTO

my first real car was a Ford Galaxy 500 convertible {I forget the year.........it had a few issues,  but my dad and I fixed the car up.   I remember one winter day,  the gas tank falling out of it while coming home from work.   it had a full tank,  so it didn't explode  :D   the rag was old,  with a couple small tears,  and the rear window was clouded...couldn't see much through it.   used to have a bumper sticker  on the rear bumper that read "don't laugh mister, your daughter might be in here"   she died one day........a graceful funeral 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Damn!  hit the wrong button.....   I've built a few in the past.......the Corvette 'cobra',  '63 Chevy Bel air,  Chevy Nomad......probably others,  but I don't recall......built one of the big aircraft carriers,  but don't recall which one.  I also did some of the big truck models........later building this scratch built crane,  like what you would see in a junk yard {minus the Hemi engine} :D    on a trailer frame,  covering the engine,  was the truck cab....in the back was the platform with the crane,  that swiveled.  I wish now I had a picture of it.......most of my pictures of anything back then,  are long gone....the English Leather picture is about it.  it was taken with one of those Instamatic cameras...the one where the picture slides out of the camera,  and develops before your eyes.   

car destruction..........got one for ya.   about 1970 or so {give or take a year},   my brother had gone in the army.......later ending up in Fort Hood,  Texas.   by this time,  he had married his girlfriend Linda.......they finally came home for a visit.   they came here in a '68 Camero all done up like an American flag.......very beautiful car.  well sirs,  they were on the way to the house for a visit, and he had let Linda drive,  'cuz he had a hangover from the night before {some big party}.  they were passing by the county farm,  a place where convicts worked {minor offences and misdemeanors},  tending to cows and pigs and growing crops.  I worked at the nursing home across the way from this place {used to be one huge facility,  til the state split it up back in the early '60's.  along this stretch of road was coral fencing and chain link...of course,  to keep the animals penned in.   as she was driving,  somewhere in here,  there was a notion to shift,  and for some reason,  she couldn't gt the shifter to move.   so with both hands,  she grabbed the shifter,  and before they knew it,  the passenger side of the car was scraping along the fence....tearing up the side of the car,  removing the door handle, side mirror,  and anything that was attached that could be ripped off!  Kenny was driving when they pulled into the yard......and he was none too happy with his wife!  amazing that the door still worked.....but only from the inside ;) 

thanks for the good word gents,  and to those who hit the like button :)    should have told my brother that they usually burn flags when they get all tattered like that.....sucks that I had to think of that now  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

after a story like that,  I'd better post an update........

going further with the model last night,  the outer parts of the calipers were added to finish off the rear brakes.   that's when I noticed something...there is no pin for the driver's side caliper,  to connect the brake line.  I'll have to remedy the situation somehow.

1785102251_1.jpg.d09d6722cb06ec5227b47eaa1178bc00.jpg

in the foreground is the steering column.......I was going to de chrome it,  but the heck with it,  I'll figure out how to assemble the extinguisher on it.  the smaller fuel rail is getting paint.....before anything else happens to it.

1608170972_2.jpg.c43f373990028032380bb3ca40d20b67.jpg

this part in turn,  is part of the induction plate,  which is now waiting for this part.

1892318233_3.jpg.cbc1ec36f0414646d8c3c9d6c65fa255.jpg

I see a tiny bit of touch up that still needs to b done....damn camera.   adding more to the engine,  the bell housing was added

58723765_4.jpg.0300c8f221635e023e40efba139f81ab.jpg

1787733578_5.jpg.4f173274735f1de89096f5a6b7cc1a21.jpg

then,  the gear box shroud was added.....

728452052_6.jpg.cc0f29e843164927ecd72422c82baf45.jpg

602760126_7.jpg.d9a60cebf4657a7b85971cee2c2418b3.jpg

the parts for the front suspension was gathered together to be added to the frame.  the engine is still being assembled.......time to get the frame up to speed,  for the moment when the engine can finally be added.   the rear differential was cemented in place.

1814444070_8.jpg.3babe2a925d67253fb34169bded922f8.jpg

2025478563_9.jpg.2469a9ee23b1455ead40c8ad4c8f264d.jpg

the wheelie bars can be seen.....the casters need to be painted.   they are small.........but for a model this size,  I really should do them.   the same goes for the seat belts.......hate painting stuff like this....I stink at it......aways having to touch them up and such.   you would thing that the seat belts would be separate parts,  on a model this size.   oh well......I give it my best shot ;) 

1752254476_10.jpg.afb17acdc4201ecf6fe8fe62503cc80b.jpg

so.....I'll continue on from here.   I'm going to shoot for movable steering,  but with that broken drag link,  it's doubtful I'll be able to.  not that it matters anyway,  it's just going to sit on a shelf.   other than the body,  it's the only other feature,  the model has to offer.........that is of course.....and a good time  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

On 1/10/2019 at 6:40 PM, popeye the sailor said:

1120421958_fordcolors.jpg.8bc446dd95814d9ae8255ee2c346cf71.jpg

these are Ford proto type models........my guess is either 1:16 or 1:8..........can you imagine building this many models!  mind boggling!  ;) 

Being prototypes I wonder how many were clay or wood?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 1/11/2019 at 7:10 AM, popeye the sailor said:

she died one day........a graceful funeral 

The car? Or the daughter inside?:rolleyes:

My "Wish I kept" was a 1957 MGTD. Not much of a hot rod by you big block guys standards, but a ball to drive in nice weather on twisty roads.... When it ran!:angry:

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Your MG sounds like my old Fiat 850 Spider.  Fun car to drive when it wasn't in the shop.   Use to tell folks that FIAT stood for "Fix It Again, Tony".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

gone to the crusher long ago Lou........no one will ever know :rolleyes:   I owned two cars that were note worthy.......a Ford Gran Torino  and a Chevy Chevelle,  and darned if I can remember the year on either of them.  both were two doors.   the first car that I bought from a car lot,  was a '73 Olds Cutlass four door.....at the time,  it wasn't cool for a single dude to own a four door,  but it ran good {and there wasn't any hassle about getting in the back seat}  :D 

I owned three other Olds Cutlass's...all were two door.   these were my favorite cars.....two of them had the Buick V6...281 cu {I think}.....the '89 olds had the 305 Chevy engine in it.

I did do a little the other day........only a couple pictures so far.  they're still in the camera

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

13 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

gone to the crusher long ago Lou........no one will ever know

13 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

{and there wasn't any hassle about getting in the back seat}  :D 

I will leave it alone Denis, you make it too easy!

Back to the build log.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

3 hours ago, lmagna said:

The car? Or the daughter inside?:rolleyes:

My "Wish I kept" was a 1957 MGTD. Not much of a hot rod by you big block guys standards, but a ball to drive in nice weather on twisty roads.... When it ran!:angry:

about the running ... well something British ... good choice though since they are hard to come by, I wouldn't mind to take a spin in either a Ferrari 250 GTO or a Jag D-type

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

1 hour ago, cog said:

I wouldn't mind to take a spin in either a Ferrari 250 GTO or a Jag D-type

You and me both! I wouldn't mind a 250 LM either!

The MG was a fantastic car except that it was.................let me say "finicky". If it wasn't the carbs, it was the throw out bushing, (Other cars used a bearing!) and the electrical was a total nightmare! But I learned a lot that stood me good stead later, and it was possibly the most fun car I ever drove. Girls liked it as well. :rolleyes: 

My present day Mini Cooper kind of reminds me of a tamed down, (and more reliable) version of it, (Well kind of). My wife doesn't like it much when I play Sterling Moss on the sweeping freeway on ramps or make 30mph right angle turns, but sometimes the kid has to come out when you have the car that can do it. You don't even want to get me on a motorcycle! 

3 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Use to tell folks that FIAT stood for "Fix It Again, Tony".

No Mark THAT title goes to my very first car, a Renault Dauphine, even though I must admit I knew nothing about cars or how to fix them at the time.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

O.K. a Joke....

(Something for your Children/Grandchildren?)

How many Elephants can you fit in a little Red Mini?

Four, two in the front, two in the back.

How do you know if an Elephant has been in your Fridge?

One set of Footprints in the Butter....

How do you know if two Elephants has been in your Fridge?

Two sets of Footprints in the Butter....

How do you know if three Elephants has been in your Fridge?

Three sets of Footprints in the Butter....

How do you know if four Elephants has been in your Fridge?

A little Red Mini parked outside!!

Apologies but I just couldn't resist it....

Sorry Denis/Carl, on with the build....

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

1 hour ago, cog said:

BLMC version or do you mean the Beamer

I'm afraid that it is the modern Beamer version but with the upgraded John Cooper Works suspension and "S" size engine. It's not turbo charged but it doesn't really need to be. I can still be pushing 95+ MPH by the time I get to the top of a freeway onramp if I want, and with the high performance tires I have it can take any corner at more speed than should be allowed without much leaning, any tire squealing, or oversteer. Bumpy roads are not much fun though. No it can never be like the original Mini with the smaller wheels and much lighter body/frame. But it will have to do. It's all that's available in my price range these days.

By the way mine is red and there is no way you can fit anyone who owns legs in the back seat!

Denis

Question, you said that you were thinking of making the wheels turning but with the broken drag link you didn't think you could do it. Were you thinking on having it turn with the steering wheel, or just the front suspension?  

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I started with a 59 bug gas was 32 cents a gallon, way back when stations would have gas wars would get as low as $ .25 cents. With 2 dollars I could by a pack of cigarettes and fill up the bug and have a little left over.

Ran that bug no maintenance never changed the oil, rear engine hatch lost when I was rear ended never left me on the side of the road.

Next was a 1962 Chevy Corvair Monza Turbo Spider convertible, great car actually a wonderful and comfortable driver, mine never used a drop of oil for which they were famous for. Turbo was a misnomer at 150 h.p. was not a get up and go like name implied. Was a great car and (chick magnet) a term today considered inappropriate. Actually wanted to refit with a Porsche engine too much money and engineering, wonder if Counts Cars could do it. Ralph Nader did that one in.

Then my 1966 G.T.O. convertible his and her shifter that's the one I miss could not afford one today run between 38 and 80 thousand dollars depending on condition.

Also a 1965 Austin Healy 3000 loved that one wife said baby needs shoes sold.

Alas relegated to a Ford Freestyle (barf) and a Dodge Ram pickmeup. :(

Had a very good time, great memories.:D

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

My big brother was an extraordinary mechanic and a hot-rodder from way back. Learned almost everything I knew about mechanics from him and his friends. Because he worked at a local garage, I got first pick on so many great 2nd hand car deals. Funny how we can look back to realize how good we had it and didn't even know it at the time. For $40, I bought a '58 Bonneville convertible that only needed a water pump. For $40, bought a '63 Fairlane 2 door HT with a 260 V8. It had a cracked front windshield that I replaced with a 2nd hand one from the junk yard. I bought a '63 Nova for $90, he and I rebuilt the whole car...drove that thing over 100,000 trouble-free miles. It had the big GM straight six and a powerglide tranny. Most reliable and best transportation car I ever owned.

4 hours ago, CDW said:

Most reliable and best transportation car I ever owned.

I also have owned a number of "Common" cars over the years and for the most part did not pay that much for any of them. Never owned what could be called a big block muscle car like John and some of you others but as I get older getting there in one piece and reliably is more important than getting there fast................ Unless I need to use the restroom! :stunned::D  

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hey Denis...looks like you got quite a few of us strolling down memory lane:D...OBTW I started on the Brutus Mustang;)

I guess I did........thanks to everyone for contributing :)   it's probably something ya hardly think about........like,  how many cars have you owned through the years ;)   very true CDW......cars were easy back then.  you could do anything you wanted to,  to them........change engines........rim sizes......the sky was only limited to your wallet.   now a days,  it's near impossible with computers and sensors........engines are totally out,  and rim sizes {as well as tires}, are governed by the speed sensor,  or drive train specs.  you can do it........but you practically have to rebuild the car, in order to do it.

we had three corvairs John..........my mother loved her car,,,,she called her 'Agnes'.   one small thing about her though.......from February 1st to March 1st,  don't take her out of the yard.......you'd be left stranded.  either it wouldn't start,  or it would eat the starter.......literally!   one starter I replaced,  the nose was totally broken off.....I had to fish the parts out of the bell housing :blink:.   she worked at the local nursing home {near the county farm} at night......we'd get calls at 11:30 PM to go jump start the darn thing.   March 1st and onward..........go to New York.........not a lick of trouble!   Agnes was a 1961 Corvair Monza........we had a 1963 Monza,  and a 1965 four door Monza that was nothing but trouble.

you forced my hand Lou.....I also did a little on it during the work week   {no........say it isn't so!}.  here's a small update.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

so....yea.......I worked on it a little last night........I amazed myself :D   in answering your question Lou......yes,  basically that's the way I'm hoping it will go.       the only chigger in the armor,  is the drag link.  I won't be moving it much anyway.......    to start off......I really should have de chromed the front end parts....after touch up,  it may not look the greatest.  but I got the steering knuckles assembled onto the suspension bar {good name for it I think}.

2086001618_1.jpg.1b01fee9e213901352f450ecc1e44751.jpg

I was worried that I'd get glue in the joints and fail........but I didn't...they still move :)   while this was drying,  I figured I get the seat in the frame.   I did kinda goof up here......I should have painted the underside beforehand.  now I have to paint it in place.........hopefully it won't be too messy.

2137805887_2.jpg.2fa26ed65d4ece1ad90e09520b96dd86.jpg

all the paint I have around here..........and I don't have a decent bottle of flat black?!?!?!?!?   I have three partial bottles kick'in around,  so I combined them to make one full bottle.  hard to see with my small crane light.......but I painted it.

777789550_3.jpg.4f6ff9d1090b3d1153c37de8281705b3.jpg

the front suspension was assembled onto the frame.   the two bottom arms that locate at the bottom......and the two truss rods that supports and stabilizes the front axle.   the arms for the tie rod are also in place.   the left side steering knuckle has the 'pin' for the ..........oh........I fear I have my terminology wrong:blush:.  the linkage that goes up to the steering box,  would be called the drag link.......am I right?!?!  the part that is damaged is the tie rod.......a long bar with the tie rod ends on it.   the drag link is a two part rod that is connected to the steering box by a long pin,  that fits through a bracket molded to the frame.  this is where the moving parts end.......the steering wheel does not turn or move.

1030760478_4.jpg.ce4a2a190f3374d19bbd732e6a286acc.jpg

I re-positioned the knuckles so you can see that they move.   once the movable parts are fitted in place,  there are caps that will hold all the parts together.

1889649970_5.jpg.d92edd95f8d688625e6333bf0cb002ae.jpg

here are the diagrams for the assembly.......they will give you a better idea of how it all works

499952580_6.jpg.4ce663e5cecc5b063ded3ee3a904c926.jpg

295329023_7.jpg.aa92fcfcabf7a50d3ba1f4b775547700.jpg

tomorrow is my Friday........then play time  :)    good to hear you've  started to work on the cars again.......feel free to post the finished models here,  I'd love to see them  🏁

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

back in the day,  there were lots of kits offered with movable parts.......steering,  doors,  hood and trunk.   I haven;t seen any being reproduced.......Round 2 models has assumed quite a few of the old molds from companies like AMT....MPC........Polar lights is another one out there.  European companies have put out some really great kits too,  but they can be rather hard to find...availability mainly the issue,  here in the states.   the internet has changed all that though ;) 

I've added a few more parts to the frame...with luck,  there will be an update  :)   thanks for look'in in and the likes folks!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

good morning.........it's 6:29 AM here..........went to bed thinking of something yo look up this morning......but now I can't seem to recall what it was :blink:

I figured a good browse through the internet would jog my memory........so I went looking for vintage older funny cars.   I just looked at images though,  didn't go to any specific site.  I noticed how the body of the car has changed through the years.  back in the early days,  and early evolution of the tilt body,  I saw that the bodies became more aerodynamic.   most of the early cars had the look of the actual car body....some even emulating the model of car as well.   car bodies of today are more or less a shell.......the name of the car doesn't include any particular make anymore.  I saved a few pictures that I thought were kinda cool.

1649600752_WarHorse.jpg.cbacc2fee25e75afd02f3ec1471df882.jpg    115854365_TimeBonb.jpg.6441d3a5ee74fc6dbaff0d8a73900513.jpg

1480778809_funnycar.jpg.b04f0ec63da1858b2ab186636f3edc8e.jpg        2145683427_JungleJim.jpg.6e68313b6b212c96164216f1f750f408.jpg

I was a bit confused about the Jungle Jim.........  here is the Vega funny car.......but he also had a Camaro,  and what looked like a Plymouth Duster too. 

there are many model kit out there........here is a Polar Lights kit.........likely a kit that they're reproducing from old molds

512183075_Tomewrin.jpg.44aab11a3e8f8e9fef8c69dd401c4d0c.jpg

as I mentioned earlier........this can be a very scary sport.   I'm sure there are many,  but here are a few things that can happen.

680690719_mishap1.jpg.4bcefb4da3cad1a06d48599f6041536e.jpg       62140703_mishap2.jpg.2b3682a796b7b7f5569fe22568e1a0c0.jpg

then I saw this picture..........an old black n' white

1250457682_blueMaxx.jpg.a9380c3af2cfe2c142e6f0e8d3bc4780.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Those are some great pics Denis...JJ ran a Vega, Camero, and a Monza at one time or another...   Here's a site with a lot of great old Funny car stuff...http://www.70sfunnycars.com/FunnyCars1.html

13 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

back in the day,  there were lots of kits offered with movable parts.......steering,  doors,  hood and trunk.   I haven;t seen any being reproduced.......Round 2 models has assumed quite a few of the old molds from companies like AMT....MPC........Polar lights is another one out there.  European companies have put out some really great kits too,  but they can be rather hard to find...availability mainly the issue,  here in the states.   the internet has changed all that though ;) 

I've added a few more parts to the frame...with luck,  there will be an update  :)   thanks for look'in in and the likes folks!

Most of your old Revell kits came with movable parts...doors, hoods, trunks, steering.

Getting the parts to work without breaking them was always the trick. Opening doors often had huge gaps around the doors that looked horrible.

About the most foolproof working part/s were the metal axles that came with AMT kits. Plastic axles never lasted very long once you rolled them.