"Revellution" funny car by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Revell - 1:16

with how attentive the police are here in Manchester....we'd probably get away with it  :D  :D   thanks for the good word CDW  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks J....I was relieved to see the body comes down with plenty of clearance.  it will fit much better when the cockpit panels are in place.  hope to get something done on her today....errands to run.   once the chassis is complete,  the rest of the build should finish quickly  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Friday was errand day .........but I still managed to gt some work done on the car.   there are two braces that help support the sides of the cockpit shroud.    they both needed to be shortened a little,  to fit in place.  using the rear wheel well as a guide,  I saw that one side of the shroud was bowed outward,  so it was closer to the wheel well than the other side.  a clothes pin corrected the problem.

2121952050_1.jpg.c1a8e4a540e0d63d600be5af350bf42f.jpg

the chute cable was installed,  running it through the hole in the body,  and through the inner panel after drilling a hole for it.  the clutch pedal and shifter was added to the engine assembly next.

1003695482_2.jpg.7cad359c77e798ea3d10a255136231de.jpg

the fuel shut off line was run from it's lever.....figured I'd do this before the engine was cemented in place.  it will run under the passenger side header and connect to the pump at the front of the engine.

1503143105_3.jpg.073c51903e580ec5d3e7d3146c1d51e8.jpg

I inserted a piece of wire to keep it straight.   there aren't too many parts left.....they were painted and set aside to dry.

156653415_4.jpg.e496532e506bb20eca73c8a3c7fcd75b.jpg

still more to be done on the extinguisher.  finally,  the engine was cemented into the chassis.

645454771_5.jpg.60ee86c493a09575e6e2b663685d4b9c.jpg

now the cockpit panels can be added,  and the rest of the hoses can be connected.   the steering can also be finished off as well.  thanks for the likes!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

yepper J.....it won't be much longer before I'm done.   I have a few other non ships I could do

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I had a minor mishap last week,  where I slipped on some ice and landed in a shrub........getting a poke in my right eye.  I went to work anyway.....driving was a real trip...........luckily,  I have a pair of glasses,  that I use fort acetylene welding,  so I could drive home.........I had no options...I had to go.   it's much better now.....although it still feels like I got something in there.  I tried to do a little something to the model too....every time I thought about doing it,  something came up.   I took the afternoon off yesterday.......I could get that passenger side decal on............but no.

I get a call from the admiral,  asking me if I could do a brake job on my son Kevin's girlfriend's car....failed inspection.   kicking the dirt,  thinking that this wasn't going to be a money maker,  I said sure.......I'd love to :rolleyes:   after it was finished,  I could relax a little.........doing all of life's little pleasantries,  related towards settling in for my three day weekend.   later in the evening,  I decided that I would put the decal on.  I put the driver's side on in the pantry,  setting it up on a towel and the sink nearby,  since this was a large decal.  

255934184_1.jpg.415be04550963f697cb2b55410477209.jpg

I had a dry blotter,  a wet blotter,  the dcal set,  and the Q-tips laid out for the job.   there was the same brittle condition...it took a while to get it the way I wanted it.  there will be some minor touch ups.

1900769667_2.jpg.f9c677ef1e8b92aa2409d9f10349adf5.jpg

later........that's when curiosity killed the cat {so to speak}..........I checked on it and thought I could get the area around the wheel wells better.   a little dab or two of decal set,  I started to smooth and press it down.......and then the mid part of the decal shifted,  creating some very ugly ripples!  with trying to smooth and align it again, cracking and chipping occurred,  and so now,  I have even a bigger repair to do :(    I can be my own worst enemy :default_wallbash:

1443276919_3.jpg.284f86c350446a0e584c8aae2d3d5b34.jpg

487357981_4.jpg.fe2b8ca8b760a1513b992ab945b59020.jpg

I'm not losing the decal for no one!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hope your eye is okay!!  The decals look good, I too have trouble just leaving it alone, it seems its always that one little extra touch sends it south and makes me scream...

thanks J.........I should know that better 'n anyone.   it happened.........nothing much I can do about it now.   I'm not turning back from them,  I've gone too far already.  there aren't too many places that do 1:16 scale decals :unsure:.  so I guess I'll have to fix them somehow.  thanks to all for the likes........I think I may have started something........look at J  :)    we're one man short of a epidemic...........anyone else wanna throw one out here?  :D  :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

so now it's repair and redemption....gotta make it work.   after trimming the excess decal around the wheel wells,  a little more decal was removed around the outer edge for not sticking.   knowing that I had to touch up the driver's side,  I had tried to mix up some Blue to fix it with.   the problem here,  is that the blue changes hue....for this side,  from front to back,  making it very hard to come up with an exact match up.   it does in one part,  but gets noticeable near the end.   I still need to play with the passenger side a little more....but it meets muster.........it's better than it was  ;) 1799357886_1.jpg.8ffb518c785e00517337c7339e5dd927.jpg

I also painted around the edge of the wheel well to give it that 'wrapped' look.  the red was another problem......I have no gloss red.....just flat.  I went with it,  thinking that if it was too flat,  I could go over it with clear lacquer and solve the problem that way.   well mixed,  flat colors sometimes give off a small amount of sheen........that seems to be the case here.....so I left it alone.  I painted around the edge here as well,  which completes the decal.

81066571_2.jpg.803e979c6956da91567ae06e11fe2285.jpg

I see I gotta fix that front corner again..........may need to cut the bad part out and retouch.   the driver side came out much better.

1803909225_3.jpg.e6d79d06c26d2707b79b3e3de1ed0939.jpg

535862953_4.jpg.4e678480a50104527af45121f2d770e7.jpg

the rear window presented it's own problems........my plan was to go over it with clear lacquer.   the can says that it works on plastic......but as I found out........not this type of plastic.  it quickly became rough and 'buckled' with every brush stroke........it was eating the plastic :(   after it had time to dry {now that the damage was done}, a plan B was performed.........going over it with a coat of window maker....of all things.  I figured that it would self level itself and bring the sheen back to the window.

1754472815_5.jpg.e46c3f252563a1e352f7934eab600fc4.jpg

using a brush created quite a few bubbles.......took like forever to get them out.   too bad I have the body assembled......could have cut the window out and made a 'blind' for it.  most of the roughness is gone........it still looks striated but with 'softer craters'......what else could I call it.  ah,  what the heck,  I gave it the thumbs up and put the decal on it.  here's Fred :) 

245543657_6.jpg.bc1c9a1904d76d9424de2c1095c81a06.jpg

the driver side logo decals were laid in place.........

1772098053_7.jpg.b289fbd7be2dd486685a26e8a3f3ca77.jpg

I was going to put the Accel decals on the side window columns.  when I went to reach for them,  they were gone...........what the hey!  I just cut them out and had them next to Fred........where could they have gone off to ?!?!?!   I found one on the floor.......the other I feared,  fell into the garbage can!

I tried to locate it....emptied the contents of the can into the kitchen can piece by piece........but no luck....the decal was gone!   so I only have one,  and I'll need to figure out another location.   logical.........the rear bumper.

1967136257_8.jpg.efb2f0dbd577eb0e1c591d517e73f33b.jpg

when I made these decals,  I used a white decal paper......it's all I have.  this actually works better for the decal......the white background makes a perfect base for the color.  on clear decal paper,  they come off rather transparent and tend to disappear,  when placed on darker colors.  you have to cut the decal out along it's edges though....and sometimes though,  it can be a problem.  I may make another down the road......if I do,  I'll put it on the front bumper or spoiler.....who knows.......the other one may turn up when I least expect it to  :D 

the passenger side decals went on next.........

825671773_9.jpg.e9a7874c8e42e39a47a0939367609b40.jpg

noticing some spots and stray finger prints,  I gave it a spit shine.   the gray interior was touched up,  and then I cemented the windshield in place with the window cement.

652859219_10.jpg.18f350054f99bacf5c23dabac47e00d8.jpg

other than a few touch ups that I might see.......or meddle with........the body is done.   the chassis needs to have the rest of the parts added to it and finish hooking up all the hoses.  so, that will be the next update :) 

1724925198_11.jpg.1656e884b9f2bb28190c0b4fdb7ab903.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

ohhhhh.....I love gassers!  I wish they had a 1:16 scale kit out there of one!   that's a very nice model CDW.......but don't alter your plans!  your doing a great job on that Shinden.........and I think quite a few folks want to see the KI-45 come to life......including me :)

thanks for the kind word J and CDW    there are few options when stuff like this happens...........along with another one that just happened :default_wallbash:     your gonna laugh when you hear this one.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

7 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

ohhhhh.....I love gassers!  I wish they had a 1:16 scale kit out there of one!   that's a very nice model CDW.......but don't alter your plans!  your doing a great job on that Shinden.........and I think quite a few folks want to see the KI-45 come to life......including me :)

thanks for the kind word J and CDW    there are few options when stuff like this happens...........along with another one that just happened :default_wallbash:     your gonna laugh when you hear this one.

Ditto...got a glue bomb Henry J all disassembled...I was gonna shoehorn a 426 Hemi into, couldn't find a 1:1 to model though

I was browsing through old model kits today,  and I saw that they had an accessory kit in the Revell section.  it is a 283 small block engine i:25 scale,  and it can either be done stock,  fuel injected,  or blown with a very unique supercharger feature.......it appears to be fastened to the timing cover {unless I looked at it wrong}.  the only problem is that it's entirely done in chrome.  I see some de-chroming in it's future,  if I bought it  ;) 

I also could have sworn to have seen a customizing kit fir 1:16 scale cars.......supercharged!  that would be cool to get an older kit.......say the Nomad,  or chevy Bel air,  and soup 'er up :) 

believe it or not.......after I put decals on,  I usually blot the paper towel on my tongue,  and wipe over the decals,  to remove the excess decal glue......I just went over the body with it too  :D  :D   told ya it was a spit shine  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

oh.........BTW...there is an update.   it's late and I gotta hit the rack!  all I can say is.........if there was a day for stupid stuff to happen.......this was the day! 

tell ya about it tomorrow! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

5 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I was browsing through old model kits today,  and I saw that they had an accessory kit in the Revell section.  it is a 283 small block engine i:25 scale,  and it can either be done stock,  fuel injected,  or blown with a very unique supercharger feature.......it appears to be fastened to the timing cover {unless I looked at it wrong}.  the only problem is that it's entirely done in chrome.  I see some de-chroming in it's future,  if I bought it  ;) 

That engine was used in the Revell kits of the Orange Crate and the Moon Eyes Dragster way back when. And yes, the supercharger is crankshaft driven through the timing cover. I have both those ancient kits in my stash by the way.

Edited by CDW

42 minutes ago, CDW said:

That engine was used in the Revell kits of the Orange Crate and the Moon Eyes Dragster way back when. And yes, the supercharger is crankshaft driven through the timing cover. I have both those ancient kits in my stash by the way.

I remember building the Orange Crate looooong ago...

6 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

believe it or not.......after I put decals on,  I usually blot the paper towel on my tongue,  and wipe over the decals,  to remove the excess decal glue......I just went over the body with it too  :D  :D   told ya it was a spit shine  ;) 

that is a technique that I haven't tried...had not thought to take you literally!!:huh:  

Sounds fair my day was a bit of a bitch itself...my youngest stopped on his way to work with a heater core leaking like crazy, spent the morning up to my elbows in coolant...new one should be here today to reverse the whole process 

spit shine..........remember J..........I'm old school  ;)   you had a heater core...........ha!,  I had a brake job.  as mentioned,  I took the afternoon off thinking I'd have a head start on the week end,  and got saddled with that!  guess that what we're here for........our way of still taking care of our kids  ;) 

I also remember the Orange Crate........don't think I've ever seen the other one {now I have to go and look it up}.  I didn't think I was seeing things ;)   it looks like a cool little upgrade........for an unsuspecting model and the x-actor ;)   you have my envy good sir  :) 

OK..........so,  I promised to fill you in on the eventful day I had.....well............lets start with the fuel shut off line.   it was supposed to be run through the fire wall,  under the right side header,  and locate on one of the pins for the fuel pump.   now that the engine is cemented in place and has had plenty of time to dry.....there is no way I'm gonna be able to move it from where it is.  it ended up under the right side firewall tab,  that rests on top of the frame.       this does lift the engine on that side a tiny bit,  but I don't think it will interfere with anything....so I'll leave it at that.   before I tackled hooking that line up to the fuel pump,  I finished my painting on the master cylinder and fire extinguisher.

395137214_1.jpg.8f812b9a33a6ed8caa4163ee6d913655.jpg

hooking the hose up was a pain.......made me wish the wheels were cemented in place......it wanted to roll everywhere!  the super glue had closed up, so I had to use a pin to open the nozzle.  not wanting to crush the hose,  I fought some more.....the hose shifting in the tweezers grrrr!  before long,  I had it hooked up finally....the chassis stayed still long enough for me to accomplish this.  it wasn't until I tried to move the chassis,  that I would find out why it didn't move.   super glue had bled out of the tube and onto the desk..........the one of the slicks rolled onto it,  and is now glued to my desk!   it took some doing to pull the tire off the surface....I dismounted the tire during the process,  making it easier.  as the tire pulled away,  it took two circular patches out of my desk........and the clean up started,  removing these two patches of wood and paint.  this was not easy and it was very damaging.........the tire now has these two nasty craters in the tread surface.

131905544_2.jpg.8a42475dab6f3ee5f445caa239d37fee.jpg

I do have to say.........the admiral was sympathetic.........wondering if I can order another tire.   in 1:16 scale...........doubtful :(   I will sand it a bit and remount it........but in the back of my head,  there has to be a remedy for it :unsure:   assembling the steering box assembly was another pain,  having to spread the frame apart to fit it into the slots.  the pin for the drag link was a continuing fight.....the little cap for the linkage came off and the assembly came apart.   being glad that it did that,  {modeler's honor of using glue sparingly} instead of breaking,  was a welcomed sight,  and was easily reassembled.  there is some opposite pressure that kept the assembly from staying in place,  so I had to hold it in place for about 20 mins or so {great.........another 20 mins out of my life,  that I can't account for to St. Peter}.   but in the end,  the assembly is finished........I couldn't check it right away,  but I did check to if the steering still works..........and it did ;) 

1685113113_3.jpg.6a080b55b56a76bbc6362f0a716ebfb8.jpg

while I was wrestling with the steering,  I came up with an idea for the tire....use the same stuff that caused the problem in the first place.  the old tube of super glue hit the circular file....I got out a fresh tube and filled the craters with it.  it was sanded when dry........seeing a few pits,  I added more and sanded them when they had dried.   the flat black I'm using for this model is really 'dead pan'.  what I mean by that,  is it's a combination of other bottles I've used on other projects....cleaning out the bottles,  I add a small amount of thinner and shake it,  to get the major part of the pigments out.   then I rinse out the rest of the paint and then I have a clean bottle for mixing other paints.   the collected flat black is now thinned down to the point,  that any sheen that would be present,  is now gone.  I'm sure some have noticed that well mixed flat paint will produce a faint sheen when applied....adding thinner will kill it.  to make a long story short.........I painted this over the tire,  and this is what I got....I did wipe some off too.

1345504696_4.jpg.8cab0bf80eec7f8d454ca00a53c1c1fe.jpg

it was a good save....I was very happy with the results :)    the tire was remounted before anything else happens!  .......and it didn't take long either.

the cockpit side panels and floor was added to the chassis.  there was some unreasonable fit issues,  but I manged to get them in place.  it finishes off with the rear top panel,  and the darn thing wouldn't fit.   it didn't want to line up with the seat, nor did it want to line up with the side panels.  the only thing to do here,  was to cut part of the center out,  that surrounds the back seat deck.   the plastic is so hard and brittle,  that the ears that were being created by doing this,  cracked and broke off.   after gluing the pieces back together,  the part was fitted and cemented into place.  I may have to decant some of the flat black.......remember,  I used a rattle can to paint them.

144918662_5.jpg.9d0f0439954b5ce407e2967c8d7fea4d.jpg

it can be sen that I have some touch up work to do....this plastic was very unforgiving.  it can also be seen that I've assembled the throttle linkage as well.........the rod for the pedal,  and the rod for the butterfly actuator.

294406863_6.jpg.28f50c9a1cb082af102cf44f7bbf7602.jpg

so now,  the master cylinder needs to be added and hooked up,  and the rest of the hoses {mainly the oil filter hoses}  need to be connected.....and then I think I can call this model finished :)  :champagne::36: 🏁

1705195436_7.jpg.703d6a8e05bdff367a5c94640120e6f8.jpg

my next project will test my painting skills ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hello Michael!  thanks......I wasn't sure it would work....but I'm glad it did!!!!   thanks again.........my other love.  if the airbrush didn't mess up like it did,  I think I might have gone a bit crazier with the paint.  a bit of a hiatus from the boats.......better weather coming soon......I have more sanding to do.

the admiral doesn't know this........but I'd love to get another one  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

nice work my man...you'll have to shot some dramatic posed shots for us to drool over...ya beat me to this finish on this one 

You did a marvelous job on the funny car Denis. I hope there are more to come from you later on down the road. Very neat and clean.

The Mooneyes Dragster I told you about is now part of the Don Garlit's racing museum here in Florida. Don Garlits was a local boy and as you can imagine, he was a driver I admired and followed closely as I grew up. Not many remember today, but Art Malone was a pioneer drag race/master engine builder. He and Garlits teamed up to build some very famous and record breaking dragsters.

Here is a link to a great photo of the Mooneyes Dragster:

Mooneyes  A/Dragster

1 hour ago, CDW said:

You did a marvelous job on the funny car Denis. I hope there are more to come from you later on down the road. Very neat and clean.

The Mooneyes Dragster I told you about is now part of the Don Garlit's racing museum here in Florida. Don Garlits was a local boy and as you can imagine, he was a driver I admired and followed closely as I grew up. Not many remember today, but Art Malone was a pioneer drag race/master engine builder. He and Garlits teamed up to build some very famous and record breaking dragsters.

Here is a link to a great photo of the Mooneyes Dragster:

Mooneyes  A/Dragster

SWEET...I remember this beauty now...really need my memory pills...if I could only remember where I put em

Nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

not really a race J........sorry to hear of the problems your having though.  I'm just glad that this project sparked some interest.   these are a very nice scale to work with,  but are limited due to the lack of accessories out there to enhance it.  thanks for the good word :) 

now that I see her in the flesh.......I'm not sure if I had the model :blink:  I've built so many.  I'll see if I can snag another one ;)   really like the picture and the link........I didn't know the Soapy Sales was a rail too!! Kewl!

thanks Phil...appreciate ya look'in in  :) 

I'm not quite done yet.......still a couple things to do.    I did do a fit of the body on the chassis......the hoses off the fuel tank were holding the body up.  I pushed it down lightly,  and the body closed down the rest of the way.  I left the body on for the time being......perhaps it will alter the hoses.....the natural bends that they seemed to have learned,  all balled up in the bundle.   one more update should finish her up.........and yes J........thre will be pictures! :) 

263433624_TheRevellution.jpg.2fc7d269dbf0ea7ab65714c5a63923b3.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: