Liberty Ship SS John W Brown by Jack12477 - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1:350 - Plastic

Jack, the model looks good. In the beginning of your built you showed the sheet of PE with lots of items, but in the model I did not see much of it applied (or am I missing something). I understand that you decide how much PE you add to enhance the ship. Also in reality the ship cannot be too shiny, she should be in the colors of the sea and the sky. 

The PE makes for showing more details and it offsets it well with all that gray. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

I used quite a bit of the PE but a lot of it doesn't show in the photos; camera can't pick it all up and some of it gets lost in the forest so to speak.  All the vertical ladders on the crane towers are PE, all the railings around the foreward and aft guns and stern are PE, also the railings around the main structure amid-ships are PE - the points on the tower where the lines attach are PE. 

My next ship probably will not have as much gray as this one.

Edited by Jack12477

Congrats on reaching the end, it took you about the same amount of time as it did to build the real ship!

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

15 hours ago, cog said:

so, what's next?

Not sure yet !  Maybe a destroyer, or double cockpit ice yacht, or one of the wood boat kits from my stash ????   Suggestions ????

6 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Not sure yet !  Maybe a destroyer, or double cockpit ice yacht, or one of the wood boat kits from my stash ????   Suggestions ????

You could do something really wild  - you could do a fictional ship  - The Flying Dutchman  from the VASA kit.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I didn't say NO ships/boats, just no SAILING ships with big complex rigging.  But you are getting close ;).  The tank is finished, I decided to leave unweathered <at least for now>

nuth'in says lov'in like a model kit  ;)   :wub:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch