John W Brown by Jack12477 - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1:350 - PLASTIC - liberty ship

sorry  for being late to the party.......looks to be a real neat build :)    I'll be watching as well .

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Okay, time for a airbrush paint use question.  I've tried using both a Paasche and Badger airbrush with the Life Color paints but it's no go. Nothing flows from the nozzle - no matter what pressure setting I use. I even disassembled both brushes and cleaned them thoroughly, still no go.  I thought I read a post some place here that said this brand could be used straight from the bottle, undiluted, but I'm thinking that's not true.  So what dilution do I need for this paint to work in an airbrush?  Right now I've been using Tamiya rattle can primer then hand brushing the Life Color on. I used to know the formula (dilution) for Floquil/PolyS/Model Master but these new acrylics are nice to brush on but airbrush is a new mystery.

Edited by Jack12477

Try 50%, and USE THE BRAND'S OWN THINNER or you have a clogged airbrush

Didn't I write on this paint in my build of the H-class tribal (current build)

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi Jack

Will your airbrush spray water or thinner just like it was paint? If not then like Mark says it could be blocked somehow. Or it could be that you have the needle adjustments wrong and need to open them up a little until you can get a good spray of water. Then you can try paint and adjust as required.

As for the doors I am not certain what to say. If you have the door in a proper position and held down with a sharp instrument of some sort then take a small tip tool and apply the glue to an exposed edge and let the capillary action pull it in. Let that application set up and get solid while still holding the door. When that has set then you should be able to fully glue the door into place without it moving from the first position. I feel kind of stupid giving instructions on PE applications as I have yet to do it myself on my builds, (I am almost done drilling porthols though, and after over 800 I think I can speak with authority on doing that) all I can offer on your doors is how I would possibly do it. By all means ignore me and listen to ANYONE with ANY experience on getting your doors straight if they offer another way.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lou, I did test both brushes with a jar of plain water, sprayed fine, even adjusting needles pattern so water got wider or smaller as I manipulated them. So it was the paint that was the problem.

Re: doors:  That's what I was trying to do. Guess I need more practice. And maybe a new set of eyes ;)B)

Edited by Jack12477

Most acrylics seem to prefer their proprietary thinners. I'd be hesitant to use tap water to thin the acrylics; no telling what chemicals are in there. Buy some distilled water if you want to use water.

Don't waste the proprietary thinners on cleaning brushes or airbrushes. I've put out some formulas for home made brews for cleaners, since you will use more cleaner than thinner.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

5 hours ago, Canute said:

Don't waste the proprietary thinners on cleaning brushes or airbrushes. I've put out some formulas for home made brews for cleaners, since you will use more cleaner than thinner.

Formulas being ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Use this link. It doesn't cost you anything to log onto the site, but you do need to log in. Sorry about that.

https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/subscribers-only/painting/acrylics

The whole pamphlet is excellent, but chapters 3 Mixing and Storage & 4 Formulas for thinners apply here. They address Modelmaster, Badger and Vallejo paints. Like a lot of hobbyists, model railroaders were put out by Testor's when they dropped the Floquil/PollyScale lines. This was done to help folks move into acrylics. And many have adopted the Badger and Vallejo paints. Hence the extensive charts for converting the old paints into these newer acrylics. I'd like to see more on the Tamiya paint, since the big box craft stores seem to stock them around here.

Maybe we should put the link in a pinned area in the Paint section. I've been on another site that also addresses home made thinners, but parts of that site are undergoing renovation and I can't find the appropriate page to link to.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Are you using the quick setting thin CA or the thicker ones? The thicker ones take a few seconds longer to set, giving you a little more time to position the door.

While I await the delivery of the needed thinners, I primed and brush painted the hull halves, and upper structure. glued the two hull halves together.  The deck superstructure will wait for now.  All the brass add-on have been added and painted. And the splotchy paint has been fixed.  Photos follow:

IMG_6440.JPG.548b61639eceffe1cb19b273ccbd6b40.JPGIMG_6441.JPG.e1b5c21b507fb5bcf7b6bf76810c59a1.JPGIMG_6442.JPG.f39822cc9b1dd892bf6151c2ad4ae6ae.JPGIMG_6443.JPG.be6a9ed27ef8b8ebf53f0e332ffa5386.JPGIMG_6444.JPG.1ae819dbb43b4e53ac00104959b78df4.JPG

Tomorrow (Saturday) morning is back to the ice yacht restoration project before the "monster snow storm" they've been forecasting since last Monday hits us.  Up to 20 inches could fall overnight Saturday into Sunday.  Good time to stay in the shipyard with some beer, chips and shrimp for sustenance. :D

Edited by Jack12477

On 1/4/2019 at 10:05 PM, lmagna said:

Also are you going to replicate the "Nose art"?

To answer your question Lou, YES !!!!!  It's included with the decal set. 

Decals applied -

Here you go Lou !  Just for you !  :D

IMG_6459.JPG.6043f1704a07f9495fa473a842edb3a4.JPGIMG_6460.JPG.489f79b4a673e280b1330964c64a97c0.JPG

Considering the scale and the magnification of the camera lens, it's not a bad representation of the original (see below)

IMG_0883.JPG.8f6fd473b1b9b2306ddbcb7266d33339.JPG

Other decals from the kit set applied:

IMG_6461.JPG.1832fe252e6a70562be46427eb0b2111.JPGIMG_6462.JPG.e690673637647bb8068f62cf999d1d4c.JPGIMG_6463.JPG.af566a4fe829e1777fb4b21793635ae3.JPG

Now to seal the decals and then start placing all the sub-assemblies on the deck.

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

Decals applied -

Here you go Lou !  Just for you !  :D

OUTSTANDING Jack! That alone makes her unique. I don't think I have ever seen "Nose art" on any ship before. Kind of makes me wonder if it is a museum add on. I am pretty sure the campaign ribbons on the bridge are.  

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Jack

I'm late for your build thread, but enjoyed browsing through your progress. Love the subject model, so much solid history behind the Liberty Ships.

Regarding your photo etch doors...I recommend trying/using acrylic glue rather than CA. 1. It allows all the time you need to adjust the position of the photo etch part and will provide a superior bond (IMHO) for flat items like doors to plastic. 2. It dries totally clear and will not mar the finish of your plastic or photo etch. 3. It's water soluble so clean up of excess glue is a breeze just using a water dampened q-tip. 4. Because it's water soluble, it's easy to remove a part if you make a mistake...even if it's dry. 

Gator's Grip acrylic glue works a charm for photo etch. A small bottle of it lasts a very long time, years even.

Regarding your air brush issues...is yours a siphon feed or gravity feed air brush?

12 hours ago, CDW said:

Regarding your air brush issues...is yours a siphon feed or gravity feed air brush?

It's a siphon feed. Badger 150. 

Thanks for tip on Gator Grip glue. None of my usual online suppliers carry it, but found a new source, Free Time Hobbies,  that does carry.  What's the shelf life on this glue? 

Lou, I think you are right about the museums adding the nose art and campaign ribbons. The 2 museum ships in Buffalo have campaign ribbons painted on also. 

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

It's a siphon feed. Badger 150. 

Thanks for tip on Gator Grip glue. None of my usual online suppliers carry it, but found a new source, Free Time Hobbies,  that does carry.  What's the shelf life on this glue? 

With a siphon feed airbrush, an often overlooked source of flow blockage comes when the tiny vent hole on top of the jar lid is blocked, but my first guess would be your percentage of reducer : paint is too low. In that case, the siphon is not capable of pulling the mixture through the feeder tube. I have never used Life Color paints so I don't know the viscosity you're starting with. Sometimes, even a 50 : 50 mix of paint to reducer is too low and you may have to simply increase the percentage amount of reducer until it will flow through.

I am using the same bottle of Gator's Grip glue for almost three years now. Since it's water based, you'll need to keep it at/near room temperature. Over time it will thicken, just add distilled water to reduce it to the viscosity you want. 

4 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

The 2 museum ships in Buffalo have campaign ribbons painted on also. 

Still a nice addition I suppose to brighten up an otherwise gray ship.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

5 hours ago, CDW said:

With a siphon feed airbrush, an often overlooked source of flow blockage comes when the tiny vent hole on top of the jar lid is blocked,

It wasn't any of these as I was able to spray clear water thru the brush from the same/similar bottle.  It was the paint itself, not diluted enough.

7 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Lou, I think you are right about the museums adding the nose art and campaign ribbons. The 2 museum ships in Buffalo have campaign ribbons painted on also. 

The "nose art" probably wasn't standard although it may have added by a bored crewman.  As for the ribbons.... from what I read these were added by the crew as they were awarded.  A point of pride.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking nice and busy jack  well done.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Added the cranes to the model:

IMG_6482.JPG.e9a701eca03642f40ff7faea67abe318.JPGIMG_6481.JPG.fd2dad7c2a750bcb2301115ce137d41c.JPGIMG_6478.JPG.83b004a36996b13db2d365ffb602cb28.JPGIMG_6480.JPG.81fb0279ed752b2bb5bbf95c47dd937f.JPGIMG_6479.JPG.f0644d0eaa484117ef36fa6715675940.JPG

Some of the PE railings look like they've been beaten on with a sledge hammer to knock off the ice build up from a North Atlantic transit to Murmansk ;)

If you are wondering what the wrinkle background is, it's the portable nylon spray "booth/shield" I picked up thru the Woodcraft catalog. Works quite well.

I haven't decided whether to call it  a "wrap" at this point.  I haven't figured out if there are pulleys included in the PE sheet and how to assemble them or where to attach them as I don't have a clear rigging diagram for the cranes.  In addition, I would have to order some EZ Line if I am going to rig it further. 

Decisions ! Decisions ! Decisions !

Edited by Jack12477

Now she is looking impressive  some nice work gone into her.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1