HMS Atalanta by tlevine - FINISHED - 1775 - 1:48 scale - from TFFM plans

Proof that dogs will eat anything. What are the other two pathological objects, I wonder? Hopefully recovery will now be smooth, Toni, for both woman and dog!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hmm... complementary $15 pedicure for I'm guessing $3000 of veterinary bills. Sounds like a good deal, Toni. It's an axiom among us veterinarians that if there is to be a "complication" it will always be a physician or lawyer's pet. I hope she continues to improve under you home care and remember - she's as likely to eat your new galley oven as she is her treats!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts.  She is sleeping right now so I have a few minutes to post my progress on the stove.

There are a lot of descriptions of the galley stove on MSW as well as in TFFM Vol 2, so I will not belabor that here.  The stove is a model in itself and I have been playing with it for a month already.  The first decision to be made was what materials to use.  This would also drive the construction technique.  I decided that this was a detailed "representation" of a stove but that no one would be cooking with it.  Therefore, sheet brass was eliminated from consideration except for details.  What I came up with is a collection of wood scraps, aluminum adhesive tape and shim brass.  The side panels have three larger doors and one small one.  

post-262-0-76183300-1431875265_thumb.jpg

After these were made, a spacer was put in the middle of the stove and the fore and aft faces were constructed.  The bolts, cooktop and chimney were added.  The rest of the details will be added later.

post-262-0-71830800-1431875267_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-78971600-1431875268_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-90064400-1431875269_thumb.jpg

The stove was fit in place on the model and was too tall.  So back to square one.  I shortened the height by 6" and it fits nicely.  It was painted with flat gray primer and flat black (Testors rattle can).

post-262-0-72706100-1431875270_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-71730300-1431875271_thumb.jpg

I am sorry the pictures are not of be best quality.  It is hard to pick out details on a black object so I played with Photoshop so you could see more than a black blob.  The lids for the pots are brass sheet which was drilled for the brass wire handles.  So far I am happy with the results.  It actually looks like a stove! 

post-262-0-75169700-1431875272_thumb.jpg

Next up will be adding the details to the stove, making the base plate and installation.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

prayers to your dog, here's a picture of our former dog Sadie and My son, who's now 20

Sorry it's not nautical but I'll take the hit/warning as how many other Dalmatians named Sadie do I know

5571593216_1864288b35_z.jpg

Captain America and Wonderdog

by jr jacobs, on Flickr

15101520508_11e0b809b3_m.jpg

D3X3279-Americana

by JRJacobs aka System13

Photos can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/system13

From U.S. Navy

web_140822-N-KM734-406.JPG

I keep coming back to look at it over and over again

I have to say I really like your stove

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Great looking stove.  It looks like iron to me.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

System, thank you for sharing your picture of Sadie with me.  Hopefully my Sadie will be able to pose for the camera soon.  

Thank you everyone for your kind comments and thanks for all the likes.  The good thing about a recuperating dog is that they sleep a lot.  So I got in a little workshop time today.  With something as complex as a stove, one needs to ask how much detail is necessary.  I decided to make the spit holders, the vertical ash grate (the horizontal one cannot be seen once the stove is installed) and the ash bin.  These were made from brass wire and shim brass cut and filed to shape.  I rolled the grate rods between my fingers to get that "used" look.  I left the ring bolts bright just for some contrast.  I may change my mind and blacken them before final installation.  They are only press-fit in place.  The stove and ash bin sit on an iron platform.  I used blackened brass and burnished it to get some color variations.  I am considering removing it as the stove visually fades into the black background when viewed from above.  One must remember, unless I put a fiberoptic scope through a gunport, the only way the stove will be seen is from above.  I will decide in the next few weeks.

post-262-0-74951000-1431906458_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-27379700-1431906460_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-48871800-1431906461_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-51989400-1431906462_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-53389600-1431906463_thumb.jpg

Edited by tlevine

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

A fine looking stove Toni, to complement the rest of your very fine build. Best wishes to Sadie for a speedy recovery.

Best wishes to Sadie!  Let me join all the cynophiles in hoping for the best.

And that's a great looking stove -- I like the idea of using wood instead of styrene-covered foam or something.  Wood is always more fun to work with.

Cheers,

Martin (and Bounce)

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Grant and Greg thanks.  Martin, I thought about using brass sheeting rather than wood, just for the experience.  However, wood is a lot easier to cut.  The  more I look at the stove installation, the more likely I will keep the "iron" plate underneath the stove.

Toni

I thought about using brass sheeting rather than wood, just for the experience.  However, wood is a lot easier to cut.

This is an interesting observation.

When the only function of a piece is to look like something else from a visual point of view in a general way, without needing the other attributes of strength or function. It makes sense, at least to me to use the materials that one finds comfortable working with.

There will be plenty of opportunities to practice with brass when it is a more appropriate material for its functional attributes.

The only time I would fuss or worry about using the same type of materials is when making a replica of something that clearly shows the materials that the original was made from when viewed up close.

Patina over copper or brass comes to mind, and there are folk who can do a convincing job of that with paints even so.

Nice work on the stove it looks great.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

The stove is looking eally great

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Toni your stove is great and it is a shame that most of it will be hidden from sight and will not be noticed by most people.  It i  model in itself.

David B

Thank you Michael, Christian and David.  Robin, I have been away for the weekend so am not near the ship.  I will take a good look at her tomorrow and hopefully have some type of answer for you.  As to the four-legged friend, Sadie is doing very poorly and will probably be put to sleep tomorrow.  Thanks for asking about her.

Toni

I'm sorry to hear about Sadie, Toni.   This is not good news. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Toni, I'm sorry to hear you may have to put your dog to sleep.  As a dog owner I know that's the hardest thing to do, but it's the ultimate gesture of love shown to your pet.  You never want to see  them suffer.  I don't look forward to the day when I will have to make that decision for my dog Toby.

Toni, so sorry to hear about Sadie. I know how hard it is to make that decision. You have my most sincere sympathy.

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. 

Robin, now I understand what you are referring to.  I deliberately left out some of the filling pieces to allow daylight to enter the lower aspect of the hull so possibly some detail could be seen.

Toni

I am SO VERY sorry for you, and pray she has a gentle time. I didn't know her and I already know I will miss her.

Rocky the dog, as pictured in my avatar was 148 lbs and 14 years old. We had to let him go a year ago last April, and I still tear up.

We planted a dogwood over him and I find myself some days talking to a bush.

If I didn't live far out in the country my neighbors would think I was a Druid

15101520508_11e0b809b3_m.jpg

D3X3279-Americana

by JRJacobs aka System13

Photos can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/system13

From U.S. Navy

web_140822-N-KM734-406.JPG

So sorry about Sadie.

Maury

• 2 weeks later...

Toni -- This is a bit tardy, as I've been out of town, and just this morning picked up my own dear Bounce from the boarder -- but I do have to say that it is sad to hear about Sadie.  There aren't many things we do that are harder than deciding when to say goodbye to a friend.

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

There has been very little time lately for modeling but I was able to build the forecastle bulkhead.  In keeping with the rest of the model, I only made the port side and mid-portion of the bulkhead.  I made this up with a center core of basswood sheet.  Costello was then applied to both sides of the basswood to represent the bullkhead and doors.  The edges of the center panels are sanded down to simulate a floating panel.  At this magnification, I must admit that some of the edges look a little rough but when you look at it installed, it really looks ship-shape.  The hinges are brass photoetch from Admiralty Models.  The window is glazed with acetate.  I will not install this until the forecastle beams are permanently glued into place.  Once installed, I will add the edge piece that intersects with the hull and the deck cant into which the bulkhead inserts.

post-262-0-02928900-1434239799_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-18546800-1434239800_thumb.jpg

Toni

Nice looking bulkhead, Toni, although I was puzzled that you applied a comedian to both sides of the basswood. Perhaps you meant to type 'Castello'?

;)

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks for keeping me in line, Druxey!  Now how do I slip in an Abbot?

Toni