HMS Atalanta by tlevine - FINISHED - 1775 - 1:48 scale - from TFFM plans

Good trick on the Hanging Knee template Toni :) .

Of course, now that I have the hang of things, I am finished with the hanging knees on the lower deck.

Ah, but the trick will come in very handy for the Upper Deck, Quarterdeck and Forecastle knees :) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Since I am not taking any modeling projects with me, if the weather is bad I'll finally have time to catch up on everybody's builds. :D

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Toni, She looks great!  Good tip on the knees as well.

Maury

Toni, that's some terriffic progress, and Atlanta is looking great.  Enjoy the break (and reading)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Toni, Your joinery is flawless as usual.  I will miss looking at your log.  Have a good time and have fun.

David B

Toni

Just looked at your build of the Atlanta. Beautiful work.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

• 3 weeks later...

I have finally had a little time to work on Atalanta.  Beam 15 assembly has been installed.  The hardest part of this assembly was keeping the line of ledges straight across the ship.  Slight differences are a lot harder to notice if there is a hatch, mast partner or beam arm visually breaking up the run of ledges.

post-262-0-94459000-1367321848_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-64258600-1367321849_thumb.jpg

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

• 2 weeks later...

The longboat has been completed so I can concentrate on Atalanta.  Beam 16 set has an opening for a ladder to provide access to the aft platform.  While looking at this I discovered that the bulkhead for access to the magazine was too far forward.  The ladder would either have to be 18" wide or I would have to rebuild part of the aft platform bulkheads.  It was just too big a problem to ignore so I removed everything forward of the pillar for beam 16 and rebuilt them.  Some of the walls could be reused so it was not a total disaster.  I took pictures of all of this but discovered too late that I forgot to put the card back into the camera.

The result is not perfect but there is now room for a 24" ladder.

post-262-0-90651300-1368278510_thumb.jpg

Toni

Thanks, Druxey.  I guarantee those lower deck bulkheads will be measured three times instead of twice!

Toni

I posted this picture of the longboat and Atalanta under the longboat build log.  I am reposting it here for future reference.

post-262-0-49185500-1368280031_thumb.jpg

Toni

Ah, yes. measurements. I have a favorite cartoon that goes like this:

Manager: "My philosophy is, measure twice, then cut twice, then, uh...."

Underling1: "...give the tape measure a bad performance review?"

Underling 2: "Hee, hee! (Pause) Ooh."

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Nice to see more progress on your lovely Atlanta Toni, even if it did involve some re-work (which, I might add, is actually re-assuring for we lesser mortals ;) ). The side-by-side photo is a terrific one for giving a feel for the sizes.

Toni,

Good catch and excellent fix.  If you hadn't told us, we wouldn't have known.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice work on both Toni, a very complimenting build.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.  Like so much of what we do, if I had left it alone I would have known it was wrong.  It really makes you sit up and pay attention when you realize that a 6" error on another deck (1/8" in reality) can have such a profound impact on the next deck.

Toni

Hi Toni,

I had exactly the same problem with that Companion, but I didn't go back for the "fix" :blush:  . I just made the ladder narrower.

Speaking of which - there is a similar problem with the alignment between beams on the Upper Deck and Quarterdeck. The TFFM deck framing plan doesn't match up with the NMM plan - the forward bulkhead for the Captain's Cabin doesn't fall on the Upper Deck beam on mine :huh:  . It's worth checking before you go much further, although it doesn't significantly impact on anything (no hatches here).

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Danny, thanks for the head's up.

Not much has been accomplished the last week.  The spring here has been particularly cold and cloudy so now that it is a little warmer (50 degrees with a 30 mph wind!) I have been occupied in the gardens.  We finally saw the sun yesterday so I took Atalanta sailing in the lawn.

post-262-0-87628800-1368488250_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-68056000-1368488251_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-53571700-1368488252_thumb.jpg

Toni

Lovely shots of the work so far, we are not so green here yet.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Wonderful pictures

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

A milestone has been achieved.  The lower deck structure has been finished.  I have been applying finish to the underside of the beam sets before installing them.  The gap in front of lodging knee 17 in the fourth photo occurred because the assembly is not glued in yet and it shifted.  The last photo shows it better positioned.  I will not put on any upper surface finish until after the decking is installed.  Now on to the mizzen partner.

post-262-0-58853100-1368905164_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-22599800-1368905163_thumb.jpg     post-262-0-89496300-1368905163_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-84669400-1368905161_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-33950600-1368905160_thumb.jpg

Toni

Congratulations on achieving that milestone Toni - she's looking fantastic.

Greg and Grant, thank you.  I am pleased with her.  Let's see...22 month so far and how many more to go. B)

Toni