HMS Atalanta by tlevine - FINISHED - 1775 - 1:48 scale - from TFFM plans

Thanks, Druxey.  Gone for a few days.  I will check the alignment when I get home.  It looks a lot more vertical in the pictures than I thought it was.  And thank you everyone for the likes.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Toni, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have to agree with David, your lights look far too square. It looks like you have made the verticals at 90 degrees to the waterline, whereas (from memory) they should be at 12 degrees from the vertical. Take a look at the difference in the pics below. The verticals should be about the same angle as the transom :

Toni.jpgMine.jpg

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Looking at the plans, the angle for Atalanta is 8 degrees.  Interestingly, Fly (and apparently Vulture) is 12 degrees.  I had everything correct initially and then got distracted by seeing the framing through the munions.  That would also explain why the lights made up from templates did not fit into the fenestration.  I have ripped the whole thing out.  I also decided that I did not like the look of the bell-top.  It was 4" too wide, resulting in a center light that was also too wide.  Hopefully, the redo will not take as long :(.

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Let's just say that the redo is taking just as long as the first attempt.  I have not cleaned it up yet but I think everyone will agree that it looks better (I hope).  Next on the agenda is making the carvings to be applied to the munions.  These will be similar to the ones between the stern windows.

5ade848f6c420_Quarterbadgeredone1a.thumb.jpg.fd81bc606ddc40911979a819ddb67099.jpg

5ade8491050c2_Quarterbadgeredone2a.thumb.jpg.e409fed6e13cf2467a261aa9cdbd27ce.jpg

5ade8492a6b6f_Quarterbadgeredone3a.thumb.jpg.a48e9f8480d9dfd9c400bdbd274b736a.jpg

Toni

Thank you, gentlemen and thanks to everyone for the likes.  

Toni

Way to go Toni, much better :).

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Beautiful, Toni.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

The next piece to install is the upper finishing.  This is the carved "roof" over the quarter badge windows.  These are covered with carvings.  I ran into two problems: first, the design is impossible to determine from the plans and second, the lack of skill carving wood.  I also looked at photos of the model held at RMG and could not determine the design from them either.  Since the pilasters will be the same design as seen on the taffarel, I chose a leaf and vine design to complement them.  The upper finishing is a bear to make as it must fit snugly to the upper stool and bell light as well as the hull.  I roughly shaped it oversize to compensate for any mistakes made with the carving.  The horizontal munions were replace before the final installation.  At this point nothing, including the lights are glued in place.

5af0febee34aa_Upperfinishing1a.thumb.jpg.ff7cc2855dc990a2e23ee944de9dd848.jpg

The next two photos show the carving on the upper finishing.  I was unhappy with the shape of the crown on top and sanded that down, fabricated a new one and installed it after the upper finishing was glued in place.

5af0fec0d0113_Upperfinishing2a.thumb.jpg.17529ae804a92800fd9e97b895d2b1b7.jpg

5af0fec28c5e7_Upperfinishing3a.thumb.jpg.645f05acead49518099684be0b480227.jpg

The last photos show the quarter badge after the pilasters were installed and  after a coat of Watco's had been applied.  The deep areas look overly dark because the finish was still wet when I took the pictures.  I still need to add a small base and capital to the pilasters.

5af0fec420b7c_Upperfinishing4a.thumb.jpg.912a67a10d05a67fa8f7a134462d3859.jpg

5af0fec65af02_Upperfinishing5a.thumb.jpg.c88ba74d4b8cd866a00d8a4682498eb7.jpg

5af0fec81f2d0_Upperfinishing6a.thumb.jpg.169f2bf7a2e01ac244a82b9b20797538.jpg

Toni

Outstanding!

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

looks great toni, nice work

Regards Paul 

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

clapping.gif.a0ff43b7a081291cea6b64442d1bb9f8.gifclapping.gif.a0ff43b7a081291cea6b64442d1bb9f8.gifclapping.gif.a0ff43b7a081291cea6b64442d1bb9f8.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you folks for your kind comments and thanks everyone for the likes.

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth I have finally completed the quarter badge.  The lower finishing is comprised of five separate pieces: three carved pieces and two moldings.  The patterns were taken from the plan.  The round part at the bottom appears to be a carnation-type flower on the plan.  I hope you don't have to use your imagination too much!  The console brackets are the carved decorations on either side of the badge.  Having practiced with the NRG/Passaro carving blanks made this go a lot easier than I had anticipated.

5af7209b26d97_Quarterbadgecompleted1a.thumb.jpg.4ee61a132e53da9d6679b02341525b0c.jpg

5af7209cdd517_Quarterbadgecompleted2a.thumb.jpg.24e200b59ff561f40913f38b7e7c6569.jpg

5af7209eeb7c6_Quarterbadgecompleted3a.thumb.jpg.1496c92983b1375e6b123d4b0267a59a.jpg

Toni

Druxey, you had better believe that I am happy to be done with it.  It suddenly hit me today that I am nearing the end of this project (except for the figurehead which is project all in itself).  My goal is to have it completed to take to the NRG Conference in October.

Toni

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I certainly have not added much to the build log lately but I have been busy.  I have started going through the punch list, finishing small parts that I was afraid would get lost or damaged along the way.  I also made the cat crown.  I held off on making this while I practiced some more with relief carving.  After the quarter badge I think I have had all the practice I want for a while!  The color difference will go away after a finish is applied.

5b189b74e0017_Catcrowna.thumb.jpg.e61c9ec2cb1c20928d0f35fb96962ffc.jpg

There are eight stanchions (hammock cranes) on the quarter deck rail.  These are made of square brass rod with brass tubing silver soldered to the end for the passing rope.  Each one of these is a different height to compensate for the rise of the deck.  Two holes were drilled into the base and bolts were passed through the holes into the rail.  The bolts are actually brass lil pins whose heads have been filed into a flat square.  You can just barely make them out in the second picture.  To facilitate drilling the holes in the rail I removed the quarter rail temporarily.  There is a scale 7" clearance between the quarter rail and the stanchion.  Next on the to-do list is the anchor.

5b189b77d337f_Ironstanchionsonthequarters1a.thumb.jpg.b4764c9a49bdd7927766df123f276d7a.jpg

5b189b7a9eef8_Ironstanchionsonthequarters2a.thumb.jpg.9a9b8609d6e2ebdffda9c56a69ca9432.jpg

5b189b7d700ce_Ironstanchionsonthequarters3a.thumb.jpg.6e928ccad375c58c3a69f2de93d8b06c.jpg

Toni

Very well done Toni.  I note that there is a skylight on the quarter deck.  You might have answered this already, earlier on, but can you tell me if the skylight was on your plans?  I am doing a 6th rate as well.  I'm thinking of putting on a skylight but it isn't shown on any of the plans that I have.  I'm building it as it was after two rebuilds, so a skylight could have been added.  I'm wondering if that was a typical practice.

Tom

Tom Ruggiero

Director Nautical Research Guild

Member Ship Model Society of New Jersey (Past President)

Toni,  Looking great! Looking better and better.  The middle stanchion in the photo looks like it has  a more rounded bend than the others.  I'm surprised that a plate was not called for at the bottom of the stanchions.  (Picky, I know, but I miss little details all the time and appreciate it when fresh eyes point them out.)

Maury