HMS Atalanta by tlevine - FINISHED - 1775 - 1:48 scale - from TFFM plans

Awesome modeling Toni,

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Now that should ring everyone's chimes.  Looks like an English bell and not a Tibetan bell.    :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks really great, Tony

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thank you everyone for the nice comments and thanks for the likes.  Now it is on to the quarter deck framing.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

• 5 weeks later...

I cannot believe it has been so long since I posted.  Amazing how life gets in the way.  I was finally able to get some work done this weekend.  

There is an iron knee connecting the transom with the inside of the hull.  This is not a simple "L" shape.  It needs to twist inferiorly to clear the undersurface of the quarterdeck half-beam. I made the knee out of castello and then painted it black.  There is nothing unusual in the construction of the quarterdeck.  There are no stanchions.  The only carlings are related to the capstan step and the deck fenestrations.  I find it easier to begin aft and work forward (ie narrow to wide) for better access.  There are hanging and lodging knees for each beam except there is no hanging knee at beam 14 as this would have interfered with the quarter light.

The framing above the sternpost appears to be at a different angle than the rest of the deck in the last picture. This is an optical illusion.  The plans show the bulkhead on the fore side of the beam, not underneath.  Because this is a laminated structure I glued a thin shim on top so it would look neater.

post-262-0-61738700-1479775287_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-60824200-1479775289_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-11557100-1479775292_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-56346100-1479775294_thumb.jpg

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Those photos give a good impression of how compact (read cramped) things were aboard a 14-gun sixth rate. Nice progress, Toni!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Really nice work Toni; some really nice detail there.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Nice progress, Toni

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Beautiful work, Toni.  The bulkhead partition looks great in place.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you gentlemen and thanks for all the likes.  I hope to get a few more beams in place this weekend.

Toni

• 1 month later...

It is hard to believe that it has been over a month since my last update.  Work on the quarter deck beams has been progressing very slowly but I hope to have them completed within the week.   The pictures were taken before any finish sanding.

post-262-0-76188000-1483224112_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-16832900-1483224132_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-14085300-1483224153_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-48140700-1483224176_thumb.jpg

Toni

Thanks for your lovely year end photos, Toni. Now that you've framed the quarterdeck how are those intricate details in the light room and magazine looking

Edited by dvm27

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks for rubbing it in, Greg.  I'll bet they look almost as good as yours!

Toni

A nice way to close one and open another year Toni, nice progress and the beams look good even without sanding.  Always send a bore scope down to look at those details ;):)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Happy New Year's to everyone.  Brian, I am using mica for my windows.  Pat, I actually have put flexible scopes into the hold.  There is a lot of sawdust down there!  Druxey, the closest I would get to spars would be stub masts.  I find rigging horribly tedious.

Toni