Unto All Who view these Presents: Greetings

I have just retired at age 70 and hope to have time and patience to indulge in my interests.  I am working on a Model Shipways kit Sultana, using Chuck Passaro's "shop notes".  The project is currently stalled, but I intend to get it going again. 

I have become interested in the period 1860 (HMS. Warrior) and 1906 (HMS. Dreadnought), in particular Torpedo Boats and Torpedo Boat Destroyers.  The Whitehead torpedo was the first new naval weapon since they started putting guns on ships at the end of the Middle Ages, and I am interested in how navies adjusted to the change.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to find much material on them, in particular plans.  As my skill increases I would like to model one.  I would appreciate any help I can get.

Welcome! I can't speak to the availability of the plans that you are looking for, but early torpedo boats are a fairly common subject in card modeling. In particular, Orel, a Ukrainian publisher, have put out quite a number. You can browse their catalog here.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hi Tom, this is all from memory, but there is a very useful book by David Lyons,

who was the curator of the draft section at the Maritime museum. I think it is 

called The First Destroyers and was a rather interesting book with a lot of drawings

and photo's of the first Torpedo deploying Destroyers.

I have a vague idea I may have the book somewhere and I will advise if the book turns

up.

I  am also pretty sure there was a detailed plan of an early destroyer from about 1906 in the 

flyleaf. I hope somebody will be able to provide more detail. Regards, Nick

Current Build: M.S. Batory, Polish Transatlantic Liner  - Card.

Hi Tom,

Welcome to MSW.

Billing Boats does (or did, not sure if it's still available) have a kit for HMS Warrior.  They might even just sell the plans.   

As for Dreadnought, Trumpeter has a kit.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)