Complete noob here. I've seen refrences to FFM books here and have no idea what they are. Since they seem to be highly respected can someone please tell me what they are and where to purchase them ?

Thanks ,
Dwight

Dwight

current build : Fair America by Model Shipways

Completed Build : 18th Century Armed Longboat by Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Under the bench : Syren by Model Shipways ,, Rattlesnake by Model Shipways

Looking for info about " FFM books " , what are they and where to get them.

Dwight

Dwight

current build : Fair America by Model Shipways

Completed Build : 18th Century Armed Longboat by Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Under the bench : Syren by Model Shipways ,, Rattlesnake by Model Shipways

Reference to the 4 vol work by David Antscherl and Greg Herbert.

The Fully Framed Model, HMS Swan Class Sloops 1767-1780 vol I

Known affectionately as TFFM.

4 vol with an additional supplement on sailmaking. 

Found at the outstanding Book publisher SEAWATCH Books

The TFFM books refer to The Fully Framed Model. They are a four volume set on the construction of a typical British mid-eighteenth century sixth rate ship-rigged sloop. The book are part of the extensive offerings by SeaWatchBooks. They have a link on the first page of this site, down the right hand side. Click for details.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 2 weeks later...

My recent attempt to build the full Triton POF has to say the least been a challenge and although now going a bit better i was wondering about buying at least 1 of the FFM books to give me a few hints . My question is which 1 to buy or do i need to buy them all , bearing in mind that i do not intend to put masts or rigging on this attempt and will probably leave as much unplanked as possible . Can anyone with experience of these books advise on which volume would be the most helpfull . 

Thanks   Boyd .

Boyd, 

I would buy as many as you can afford.  Volumes 1 and 2 will get you well underway, but the rest of the books are very informative and helpful and well worth the investment in my opinion.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)