freelime

Please help my identify this model!

Hey everyone,

I was in Budapest a few weeks ago, and in a small antique shop I found this beaten-up model ship that looks like an old one, as well as beautiful. 

I was trying to do some digging since then but I haven't come close to identifying even the type of the boat, let alone the possible origin or a blueprint I can consider when trying to repair it.

Please be so kind and help me identifying this model so I can find out more about it!

Here are some shots (sorry for the noisy background). The back side of the ship is clearly missing a bigger piece on the deck, but other than that and a few smaller pieces everything seems to be there.

SHIP1.thumb.jpg.5337562f1d707c47a37b7a07a5e93755.jpgSHIP2.thumb.jpg.356b5bf69ae17fa0153dd992a2c79d2e.jpgSHIP3.thumb.jpg.f57d1f0a0d43323643902ad2909a481b.jpg

Here're more detailed shots of the flags that are on the body of the ship:

SHIP4.thumb.jpg.bd77d2de44a2f13399da00e0a6cc19e1.jpgSHIP5.thumb.jpg.5d8c92a2bb5ce4a1dc3d70e0f6f708f4.jpgSHIP6.thumb.jpg.5396f19de9feebf2f531cf722a3f2826.jpg

Thank you for your help!

Looking forward to learning more about this beauty.

This is an example of what we call a decor model. I can't tell you it's age, but don't put too much stock in some dust and a bit of patina -- it may not actually be all that old. In any case, age doesn't make such models more valuable -- just old. As far as plans, I pretty much guarantee that there aren't any, as this model doesn't closely resemble any particular ship or even type of ship. As such, all of its construction details will be in accordance with the whims of its original builder rather than along any lines of actual practice. The best you can do in this instance is to give the model a good but gentle cleaning, secure any loose bits of the hull, and re-attach (or replace, if needed) any loose rigging. Your guess as to where to attach the loose rigging will probably be as good as anyone's. 

Good luck on your project.

CC is right, not much value there, these offhanded replicas were usually built over seas for the tourist trade, usually solid hull construction and lacking in detail. But the good news is, you can use the foundation of this model to possibly build on, if you were to have someone hold the model 100 feet from you while squint your eyes, looking through a piece of very thin linen, the model could resemble something like the Santa Maria or similar style ship. Now as far as re rigging the model, look for a set of plans for the Santa Maria and use those to give you a start on rigging her. You don't have to worry to much about accuracy, who ever built the model didn't seem to worry about it and furthermore, running rigging was usually tied down at the best spot at the moment, or if there were a free belaying spot open.