Revenge 1577 by olopa67 -Amati/Victory Models - scale 1:64

Just started The Revenge by Amati a couple days ago, after I build my new work bench. the frame is done and now I m proceeding to planking the lower deck .

I Have a very basic experience and hopping to find any kind of help of support from anyone willing to do it. 

I just would like to apologize in advance for my English which I know is not the best being Italian my first language, so please do not shoot on the piano player 🙂

revenge frame.jpg

1 hour ago, xodar461 said:

Hi.

I am one year into this model so please feel free to send a message should you have any questions

Jeff

thank you Jeff i will definitely take your offer 😀.

your job looks great and your building log already gave me few useful tips. 

Lower deck planked with no major issues, the instruction shows the deck in one single piece but it come actually split in two, not a problem just glued the two halves. After getting few advice from more expert members I decided for 10cm planks with a slide up of 2.5cm and a pattern of 4 repetitions.
I took the risk to buff the deck with some clear bench oil (was in the lower deck anyway ) you can see the difference  with the oil on end without it. Pretty happy with the result.
Should I apply varnish? Open for any advice.
For the more expert that will read this if they can spot any mistake or have any improvement or tips to give, I m very happy to receive them before the other decks start.

low deck 1.jpg

low deck 2.jpg

oil.jpg

Edited by olopa67
forgot to put the pictures of the wood oil i used

Lower deck glued with no issues. 
The support for the gun deck which have to be glued after the lower deck shows a gap (see picture) of about 1mm, so I have place a bit of wood (planks from a previous model with 0.5mm thickness) on both the ends. Don’t want any surprise later with alignments, two of the supports have some kind of slots and I try to have them aligned the best I can, just in case. Of course I have had trimmed the excess of the inserts   

support 3.jpg

support 1.jpg

support 2.jpg

looks good 👍

Great work

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 1/17/2019 at 1:43 AM, nikbud said:

I like the look of this ship, so i'll pull up a chair and follow your progress, good stuff so far

you are welcome, not sure if it will be an enjoyable watching. 😂😂. i m not very experienced and know that there is someone around make me feel more comfortable. lots of question will be asked.

Here we go!

the main guns deck is been planked and put on place. the finish was sending, 1 coat of bench oil, 1 coat of wipe on poly,1 coat of matt varnish and sanded again, I know I probably exaggerated a bit with 3 coats but I m not in rush and did a bit of experiments, I would probably not apply the first coat of oil bench in the future. I had a bit of problem of shaping the two holes, I guess because the deck is split in two  halves and when I join them the two half hole was not symmetrically finished. thanks @xodar461 for your advice I managed to correct the shape by rolling a bit of sand paper end run it trough the holes, much easier than using a curved filer. the access to the lower deck is not the best but I didn't give too much attention it will cover anyway by the grate support and if still visible I will file it later.

once again any advice is more the welcome and thanks again to Jeff for answering my question, especially the silliest ones. 🙂  

gun deck 2.jpg

the Back deck present 1 little issue with the manual provided which make hard to understand if you should plank the deck all the way to the back or leave some clear space. Go on page 11 and you can see that they want us to leave some space un planked. They did not mention this previously and they did not say how big should be the gap. I personally left a space of 5mm, hopping for the best. 

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
— William Arthur Ward, Writer

back deck.jpg

I don't think that is a "gap" but rather a transverse plank.  only the tabs are left unplanked as they slot into the last bulkhead.  Many of the decks have this transverse plank up against a bulkhead.  Easy to fix you can just lay one of the 5mm planks used for the hull planking across this deck.

jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Another deck up. This deck makes two steps that need to be planked, one with 0.5mm  x 5mm and one with a 1.5mm x 8mm plank, there is no plank with the measurement requested so I had to make them.943863065_gradinoda05.thumb.jpg.f8dd090318711cb071b7c173baebd25d.jpg

404492917_gradinoda8mminstallato.thumb.jpg.e95e147950bf02f2b6520a303dc72693.jpg

I had also found that the length suggested by the manual appear to be incorrect (too short) so I used the part 9A as a guide which also gave me the right angle for the cut

2a.thumb.jpg.688e8bed70ced722dae646457ff753c9.jpg

The bow deck is also planked,1467032807_bowdeckplanked.thumb.jpg.b024d973a7b838377d1e0f774a0336ac.jpg

a bit hard to put it in place, you need to carefully bend it, and it is a bit scary, i was just waiting to hear the snap sound :-)  ...did not happened. 

Amati want you to fix the support beams temporally with nails to give the structure some rigidity, i opted to use two elastic rubbers, less invasive and if really needed i can always put the nails later on.776163253_elastisupport.thumb.jpg.04caa7f9c2541e81f8493683eedcecd7.jpg

I can sense problems to fit the bowsprit later on, i hope to be wrong.

So this is where i m now

601081625_lastupdate.thumb.jpg.fde5bbddbc0654983667cddc3ac3d423.jpg

bow deck planked.jpg

gradino da 8mm.jpg

Edited by olopa67

• 2 weeks later...

First ladder installed, once again measurements from Amati instruction are wrong, far to wide to fit, 

ladder.thumb.jpg.61d904202a1b098db960addaa589a86e.jpg

Now with the upper back deck.

what is shown in the manual is a bit different of what you ll find in the kit. 

208879362_upperback2.thumb.jpg.dcbe58c194bf96ed1a8354513c03b1b5.jpg

the frame for the access to the bottom deck appear to be aligned with the beginning of the planks but I had a dry plank on and there will be space for an extra plank, same for the mast hole, the space in between the hole and the lower deck access is far less in reality than what is shown in the manual, I m hopping this will not create major issues later on

1911499490_upperback1.thumb.jpg.08fb2fb3c722d19730fecb30df0caaa7.jpg

7 hours ago, olopa67 said:

I m hopping this will not create major issues later on

Why not move the hole of the ladder a little to the left. Now this is still possible.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I would not worry too much if the model does not exactly match the pictures.  And I would not move the opening for the ladder.  It will just be extra work that is not needed.  This area on my model has a 4 mm strip running across the deck aft of the hatch combing.

5b.jpg.94266bc994e7259b141a8f8f5b996b3d.jpg

jeff

Edited by xodar461
added pic

As long as the mast holes are in line, you should be ok. It does not seem to matter to much about the size of the gap. But it is your ship and if you want it to look more like the instructions, then move the stairwell over, but personally, like xodar461, I would leave it as it is.

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

19 hours ago, xodar461 said:

I would not worry too much if the model does not exactly match the pictures.  And I would not move the opening for the ladder.  It will just be extra work that is not needed.  This area on my model has a 4 mm strip running across the deck aft of the hatch combing.

5b.jpg.94266bc994e7259b141a8f8f5b996b3d.jpg

jeff

thanks Jeff my concerns come from mine unexperience, i tried only once before to make a model and i completly stuffed it up. but was a good learning experience....on not what to do. :-). love your help really appreciated. i saw the way you planked the edge of the decks and i will definitely start to use it from now,  much cleaner finish.

thanks again

12 hours ago, vulcanbomber said:

As long as the mast holes are in line, you should be ok. It does not seem to matter to much about the size of the gap. But it is your ship and if you want it to look more like the instructions, then move the stairwell over, but personally, like xodar461, I would leave it as it is.

thank you vulcanbomber, as i previously mentioned to xodar i have no experience and may be i relay too much to the instruction and panicking a bit too easily if i see discrepancies with the manual. i really appreciated your support and advice. 

15 hours ago, olopa67 said:

thank you vulcanbomber, as i previously mentioned to xodar i have no experience and may be i relay too much to the instruction and panicking a bit too easily if i see discrepancies with the manual. i really appreciated your support and advice. 

That's what we are here for. As we say: "The only silly question is the one you don't ask". So don't be afraid of asking for help and advice. 

I received a lot of help and advice on my first build and learnt a lot during the process. I am on my second build at the moment and still like to ask for help and advice when I need to.

You have done a lovely job on the planking.

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire